Esteemed Contributor

Non-Stop Urination

[ Edited ]

For the last several weeks, I have to run to the bathroom to urinate at least 20 times a day - and all thru the night. I saw my doctor last week and he had me take antibiotics, generic Macrobid. I just finished the bottle - and it didn't help. I've had stage 3 ovarian cancer 12 yrs. ago (I'm now cancer-free) and kidney problems as a result. Have any of u dealt with this annoying problem? I'm 77 yrs old.

Trusted Contributor

kivah:

I totally understand what you are going through.  I blew my ureter maybe 20 years ago & thought I was losing my mind.  I'm at work and go the bathroom & by the time I am back at my desk & sit down I need to go again, it is absolutely ridiculous - as I said I thought I was losing my mind & everyone is looking at me, like what they heck is going on with you - all I am doing is going to the bathroom continually all day & all night.  Finally the doctor finds that my ureter needs replacing (this is something that young girls go through not adults) & since the surgery I have been fine.  Hoping they can find what's going on w/you & it's an easy fix.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Non-Stop Urination

[ Edited ]

Call your doc first thing in the am and tell them you need to be seen.  I’m sure it’s somethng easily treatable, once diagnosed.  There are all,sorts,of treatments available for this.  Please keep us posted.

Super Contributor

This could happen if you are diabetic.

Esteemed Contributor

@GAC65

I'm not diabetic. I'll call the doctor tomorrow - hoping he's in as this is a long weekend. 

Honored Contributor

My husbands diabetes was diagnosed 20 years ago with symptoms of frequent urination, excessive thirst, fatigue, and significant weight loss.   He was admitted to the hospital with a blood sugar of 550.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You need to rule out irritable bladder syndrome, which can be exasperating .... and other things ......  and may need to see a urologist rather than a GP.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are some artificial sweeteners that can cause frequent urination. It happened to me with NutraSweet and Equal sweeteners, both of which contain aspartame. I'd been to the doc and got checked for UTI and that came back negative. So I did a little reading and found out about the sweetener problem causing frequent urge.

I stopped using those sweeteners, and all foods/drinks containing them,  and the frequent urges completely went away.

Honored Contributor

What you should do is go to an Urgent Care place. Right Away!!!  They may be able to give you an RX to make you feel a little better. BUT, you really need to see your doctor.

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

For the last several weeks, I have to run to the bathroom to urinate at least 20 times a day - and all thru the night. I saw my doctor last week and he had me take antibiotics, generic Macrobid. I just finished the bottle - and it didn't help. I've had stage 3 ovarian cancer 12 yrs. ago (I'm now cancer-free) and kidney problems as a result. Have any of u dealt with this annoying problem? I'm 77 yrs old.

@kivah, when you went to your physician did they do a culture? They can do testing to determine what susceptibility your infection would have to different antibiotics. Macrobid may not be the specific antibiotic for your particular type of infection.

You would probably be best seeing a urologist for frequency. There could be a myriad of different causes for frequency including inflammation.

Please feel better and keep us posted...