Honored Contributor

Also drink Low Sodium V8 juice, this pain can come from a potassium shortage, and the Low sodium V8 is loaded with potassium. 

Esteemed Contributor

Not too many that posted here said much about specific muscle groups. @Shelbelle  said she gets up and walks. From my own experiences, her's are more than likely calf or thigh biceps spasms. 

The main relief for those types of cramps, which many athletes suffer. Could be during a game or training. The best way I have found is to immediately stretch that muscles or the whole muscle group. It makes the spasm more painful, until it releases.

Thigh biceps spasms are different, primarily because you are dealing with the reverse side of your largest muscle. Again, for me the best and quickest solution is to stretch that big muscle. Not easy to do unless you have a towel/strap, belt or something similar to put around the middle of you foot.

Causes? There are myriads of causes. Some can be due to inflexibility/over working those muscles/dehydration/low on minerals/certain medications/disease, and many more.

I can't remember the last time I had one at home. However when I was in the hospital a few years ago because of Cellulitis in my left hand, I had one in my right leg just from walking. Running a blood test, my nephew-in-law, my doctor for that admittance, found I was very low on Vitamin D.

He felt it was caused by the Cellulitis and put me on a high dose of Vitamin D for 7 days. I continued, up to the present and beyond, with taking 2,000mg per day.

An unknown source of pain in the leg can also be an indication of DVT, which should be checked as soon as possible, as they can be deadly.

Anyone that is suffering from this on a regular basis should see their doctor and get to the source. Some spasms can be from simple things, others can be dangerous, if the source is not found.

hckynut   🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Low potassium can cause leg cramps. I take a prescription supplement and it has helped a lot.

Super Contributor

Magnesium, which is the primary mineral in Epsom salts, either in a supplement or topical spray on will help take care of nighttime leg cramps. 

And, crazy as it may sound, people swear by placing a bar of Irish Spring soap between the mattress and bottom sheet towards the foot of the bed!

Honored Contributor

Re: Nocturnal Leg Cramps

[ Edited ]

If I get dehydrated I start having muscle spasms in my calves at night.  I have to consciously drink enough water, when I do there's no more problem for me.

Theraworx makes a decent foam product (expensive but sold at WalMart).  You can rub it into the muscles prior to bed or in the morning after having a spasm.  It's worked for me and I won't be caught without it in my cabinet..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@cantdrive55 wrote:

Magnesium, which is the primary mineral in Epsom salts, either in a supplement or topical spray on will help take care of nighttime leg cramps. 

And, crazy as it may sound, people swear by placing a bar of Irish Spring soap between the mattress and bottom sheet towards the foot of the bed!

@cantdrive55 

LOL .... I heard you should use Ivory soap .... I guess a bar of soap is the key ingredient here, regardless of brand.  

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Did your nocturnal leg cramps lead to the diagnosis of a more serious medical condition? 

This wasn't a diagnosis, but there was a time years ago when I was having spasms in my calves in the middle of the night. 

I mentioned it to a coworker, and she said "too much caffiene intake" .... so I reduced the Diet Cokes to one a day .... and the spasms stopped and didn't come back.

Esteemed Contributor

Unless someone is into long duration intensive activities/taking diuretics medication/weather, or some other health issue(s)!  It escapes me how/why anyone becomes dehydrated. Water, at least for now, is still free.

PSA

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@granddi wrote:

This wasn't a diagnosis, but there was a time years ago when I was having spasms in my calves in the middle of the night. 

I mentioned it to a coworker, and she said "too much caffiene intake" .... so I reduced the Diet Cokes to one a day .... and the spasms stopped and didn't come back.

@Tinkrbl44 

Did you by chance replace your diet cokes with H2o? This stuff works wonders for many. Thanks to your co-worker, and glad this worked for you.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I get debilitating leg cramps at night. The doctor told me to take magnesium and then when that did not work, potassium. I have since switched to theraworx and mustard. I tried Theraworx on my legs before bed and it helps. If I get cramps, I apply more Therawox and I keep packets of mustard in my bedside table, I open a packet and eat it. I use Grey Poupon mustard even though the studies show yellow mustard works. I can't stand yellow mustard. Anyway, there are studies on the effectiveness of mustard or in particular vinegar somehow re-setting the nerve responses in the body. Something about the shock of it hitting the back of your throat. 

I tried it and the cramps go away quickly after I take the mustard. The other thing is the mustard helps me sleep.