Honored Contributor

Re: No wonder people are addicted to painkillers

@cbrite wrote:

@LTT1 and @KingstonsMom One major problem is I'm all alone...no family/no friends...no husband or kids... By the time the ambulance guys approached me where I live, due to my bad vomiting (they would not come in the room at all)..threw me some paper thingy to hang on my neck so the vomit would not get on them...I was so ill..both ends... was about 3am..... I could not even get to the bathroom here.... once my vomiting subsided, both guys came in, transported me......I was not in pain anymore..I'd gone thru the worst.

My place was a bad mess.. I had vomit all over me.....and bare feet.... I could not help it.

I'm glad too IG, you are here and alive.... I need to try and sleep. 

@cbrite

Thank you and that was just an awful experience for you, all the way around!

Sleep tight!Heart

Image result for sending hugs to you images

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I cannot take painkillers like those mentioned-any morphine receptor aganists.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Respected Contributor

@cbrite wrote:

I reported her and talked to my physician about it. He dismissed it.... I was so upset at her. I had vomit still all over my bare feet...they did not ever clean me up and I had to do it when I got home. I do know I said to her something like "I felt like I was dying from the food poisoning so why would I need pain stuff." For some reason I feel like I'm falling fast into a dark and deep black hole on that stuff...it's awful. I said I'd leave AMA if they did not get that IV out of me... It hurt my feelings that she pulled away from me when I reached for her because I was afraid when it went in me. There was no reason to give that to me. 

What happened to you is so horrible!  It is my worst nightmare....I can't tolerate any of those pain killer drugs and would be so ill if someone gave me any of them!  In my mind what happened to you is lawsuit worthy....don't pay attention to your doctor who brushed it off as nothing...that nurse when told should have NOT given you the drug as you refused it and have every right to do so.  Your pain and suffering is worth talking to a lawyer about this and filing a legal suit against any facility that would do such a thing IMO.  Your doctor is just hoping to down play it so you don't see a lawyer.

I had to have steroid cervical injections....they use propofol to knock you out during it.  I spoke with EVERYONE and the anesthesiologist...going over what they were going to give me.  He had that fentanyl on it and I told him to cross that out and that I was not to be given any pain meds...period.  Made him do it in front of me....I would have sued them if they hadn't respected my decisions.  Thankfully I woke up fine and went home.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite

After my 1st bad experience with Fentanyl(I was getting an Endoscopy every 3 months because of my Barrett's), I told the Head Anaesthesiologist, I was allergic to Fentanyl. They always used Fentanyl and Versed for their Endo. There E it was only Versed, but now they put you out with Profofol.

When I had my cataract surgeries, they also said they use Fentanyl. I told them, NO FENTANYL!  Now my Medical Record shows: Allergies--Fentanyl and Iron, which now makes my procedures much easier.

E.T.A.   When I get my Iron Infusions? Needless to say, my Iron Allergy is ignored. Had to clear that one up!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@cbrite

how about one of those medical bracelets? People wear them now for all sorts of reasons, but yours needs to make your allergy very clear.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday

Title of this thread:

"No wonder people are addicted to painkillers"

Your subject of this thread was relative to the oral surgeon's prescription for narcan, which was never filled, meaning you did not take it.

Question:  How to you equate you not taking narcan to the wonderment of people being addicted to painkillers?

Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday

Please report your oral surgeon to your state's Dental Society/Organization, specifically the Ethics Committee. 

Approved for Use: 1961

Narcan blocks the effects of opiods, especially in overdose situations.  It is postulated that Narcan is successful by occupying receptor sites that an opiod, ex. herion, would otherwise occupy.

Note:  It is poorly absorbed when taken by mouth.  It is usually pushed IV; via syringe; or via nasal spray.

Other Uses:

1.  Infants exposed to untrauterine opioids.

2.  In patients suffering from shock, including septic, cardiogenic, hemorragic or spinal shock, blood flow is improved.  Reason for this is unclear.

3.  Experimentally used to treat congental insensitivity to pain.

4.  Can also be used as an antidote in overdose of clonodine, a medication that lowers blood pressure.

5.  Can be used to treat itchiness caused by opioid use.

6.  ***If Narcan is administered in the absence of concomitant opioid use, no functional pharmacological activity occurs, except the inability of the body to combat pain naturally.

After having given it some thought, there is an extremely possible nefarious reason why this oral surgeon would have prescribed narcan.  It has nothing to do with your post-op pain needs and everything to do with what might be going on in the orgal surgeon's back office.  This might be an interesting case for the local Drug Task Force of your PD.

Contributor

This is so true.  I will be soon having dental surgery and my dentist prescribed Hydrocodone for an extraction.  Makes you wonder if they're getting "kickbacks" doesn't it?  

Honored Contributor

@Snoopygrl wrote:

This is so true.  I will be soon having dental surgery and my dentist prescribed Hydrocodone for an extraction.  Makes you wonder if they're getting "kickbacks" doesn't it?  

they write a prescription as a preventive measure. everyones level of pain tolerance is different. some may need it, some may not. no one is required to fill the prescription if they dont want to. you even have the right to tell your dentist that you dont want to take anything. not sure why the dentists and the doctors are getting such a bad rap on this thread?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sfnative

she read her prescription wrong. she was NOT prescribed narcan.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein