Esteemed Contributor

No wonder people are addicted to painkillers

So yesterday I had a couple back teeth extracted and a wisdom tooth. They prescribed me narcan. Why would they prescribe something so strong and addictive for a tooth extraction. It doesn’t even hurt where I need Tylenol. Walgreens didn’t even want to fill it. They called the oral surgeon office and they go just give it back and go somewhere else. There is no need for that strong of stuff for a simple tooth extraction.
Honored Contributor

Re: No wonder people are addicted to painkillers

I had dental implant surgery and I only took advil, I generally refuse anything stronger

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

NARCAN? only narcan?

this is medication used to BLOCK the effects of opiods especially in an overdose situation.

they usually prescribe either tylenol 3 OR percoset for me.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Eve when I had my jaw joints put in both surgeries I think I took some stronger stuff for a day and then just Tylenol. It wasn’t narcan though. It was something with codine I think.
Honored Contributor

Narcan?  Is that an opiate?  I thought Narcan was administered to try to "reverse" an overdose.  But I could be wrong.

Glad you're not in any significant pain from the dental surgery.

Respected Contributor

Isn’t narcan an anti opioid drug....for revers ing the effects of an overdose?

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday - I agree and it's JMO but the doctors and nurses are the leading cause.

While my husband was in the hospital recovering from gall bladder surgery the only pain he had was while he was trying to get himself out of the bed.  He actually had to fight the nurse for plain tylenol.  She was insisting he have the heavy duty stuff and it was his fault he was in pain because he was refusing it.

Trusted Contributor

Consider speaking with your primary care physician about this prescription. If you don't think you need it, then, certainly, you should not take it.  Narcan is typically used as an antidote for opoid overdose.  A less common use is for chronic pain.  Discretion/caution is always best

Honored Contributor

Narcan???

Honored Contributor

If you don't need strong pain killers that's great!  However some people experience excruciating pain and need something strong to help them through it.