Honored Contributor

Re: No wonder people are addicted to painkillers

@sfnative wrote:

@ccassaday

Please report your oral surgeon to your state's Dental Society/Organization, specifically the Ethics Committee. 

Approved for Use: 1961

Narcan blocks the effects of opiods, especially in overdose situations.  It is postulated that Narcan is successful by occupying receptor sites that an opiod, ex. herion, would otherwise occupy.

Note:  It is poorly absorbed when taken by mouth.  It is usually pushed IV; via syringe; or via nasal spray.

Other Uses:

1.  Infants exposed to untrauterine opioids.

2.  In patients suffering from shock, including septic, cardiogenic, hemorragic or spinal shock, blood flow is improved.  Reason for this is unclear.

3.  Experimentally used to treat congental insensitivity to pain.

4.  Can also be used as an antidote in overdose of clonodine, a medication that lowers blood pressure.

5.  Can be used to treat itchiness caused by opioid use.

6.  ***If Narcan is administered in the absence of concomitant opioid use, no functional pharmacological activity occurs, except the inability of the body to combat pain naturally.

After having given it some thought, there is an extremely possible nefarious reason why this oral surgeon would have prescribed narcan.  It has nothing to do with your post-op pain needs and everything to do with what might be going on in the orgal surgeon's back office.  This might be an interesting case for the local Drug Task Force of your PD.

@sfnative.  The op was prescribed Norco. Please read the thread. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am an RN of 38 years. I have a great deal of experience with both pain medication & ”rescue” meds. If the oral surgeon gave you Narcan & you aren’t on any serious pain meds, they made a GRAVE mistake. Narcan can cause cardiac arrest via a vaso-vagal or blood pressure response, in some cases if taken without the need to reverse a serious prescription or hospital only medication. Do you know if they gave you anything like Fentanyl, Versed or, Propyphol?

If they did.....that’s WAY too much for a simple tooth extraction. If they thought you may have needed Narcan, you should’ve been hospitalized. Very questionable. 

This isn’t a “ No wonder people are addicted to painkillers” situation! First of all, not ALL people are addicted to pain medication. Secondly, I would do an enquiry as to why you were prescribed Narcan! That’s a serious error. 

That is why your pharmacy wouldn’t fill it..

Good Luck. 

Honored Contributor

@Gemspirit the O P made a mistake about the medication and she clarified it with another post.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Valued Contributor

@JaneMarple  Thanks for the info. I couldn’t see all the posts at once, the way it was displayed as I read it. The OP has some serious explaining to do! 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 ...  I totally agree with you.  I trust my doctors and follow their instructions.  However, if they provide pain medication, I will have it filled IN CASE I should need it later after the novacaine wears off.  But if I don’t need it, I won’t take it !!  COMMON SENSE !!  I don’t want to get home, lie down and suddenly feel discomfort.  I have to call the doctor’s office, talk to the answering service, explain the problem, wait for him to call me back, explain the problem to him ...  he sends a prescription to the pharmacy ...  now I feel like POOP and I certainly don’t want to leave my home, but I have to because now I’m really uncomfortable but I have to drive to the pharmacy if I want some relief ... yadda yadda yadda.  BEEN THERE, DONE THAT ...  I always have Tylenol or Advil around the house and it works great most of the time ...  it’s all I need.  But if my doctor thinks the procedure or oral surgery he just completed was extensive enough that I might require something stronger, im going take the prescription and fill it and will use my own GOOD JUDGMENT should the need arise where I actually might need it.  I had oral surgery on a Saturday morning and that evening had tickets to a show I had been sooo looking forward to with friends.  We got there and I WAS MISERABLE but couldn’t leave because I came with a group.  Could not get the doctor until the next morning ...  I don’t  need to explain any more ...  I just told myself NEVER AGAIN ...  and it hasn’t happened again.  

No one wants to become an addict ...  certainly not me.  But I have tremendous faith in my doctors and my own common sense.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday Norco is a pain med, completely different from NARCAN. HOWEVER, please be aware that Tylenol with Codein & Percocet are BOTH opioids. Percocet is simply Oxycontin with Tylenol. 

The availability of non opioid pain medication is nearly non existent. 

Contributor

As other have mentioned, you were most likely prescribed Norco? Which is a form of Vicodin (hydrocodone and Tylenol 325 mg) Percocet is Oxycodone and Tylenol, not OxyContin.

If you didn’t want the script, don’t take it. You don’t have to fill it. Ask your Dr. or dentist what it is before walking out the door.

i highly doubt he gave you too many. Refilling too many times when not needed is what causes problems.

Would you say the same thing if someone had back surgery? Omg, my dr. Gave me pain meds?! Don’t be so quick to jump on the hysteria wagon. There will always be a place for pain relief in our world, just not for abuse.

Contributor

And now Drs are not allowed to call in any opioids so your Doc has to hand it to you, so taking a script with you is smart!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 wrote:

If you don't need strong pain killers that's great!  However some people experience excruciating pain and need something strong to help them through it.

I did because of my car accident.  I had broken ribs and a broken  neck.  They gave me the strongest thing they had.  I was glad to take it.  My bones finally knitted together and I'm fine now.  But I still have a vivid memory of the pain....I would have gladly taken Heroin if they offered it.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@ccassaday

Please report your oral surgeon to your state's Dental Society/Organization, specifically the Ethics Committee. 

Approved for Use: 1961

Narcan blocks the effects of opiods, especially in overdose situations.  It is postulated that Narcan is successful by occupying receptor sites that an opiod, ex. herion, would otherwise occupy.

Note:  It is poorly absorbed when taken by mouth.  It is usually pushed IV; via syringe; or via nasal spray.

Other Uses:

1.  Infants exposed to untrauterine opioids.

2.  In patients suffering from shock, including septic, cardiogenic, hemorragic or spinal shock, blood flow is improved.  Reason for this is unclear.

3.  Experimentally used to treat congental insensitivity to pain.

4.  Can also be used as an antidote in overdose of clonodine, a medication that lowers blood pressure.

5.  Can be used to treat itchiness caused by opioid use.

6.  ***If Narcan is administered in the absence of concomitant opioid use, no functional pharmacological activity occurs, except the inability of the body to combat pain naturally.

After having given it some thought, there is an extremely possible nefarious reason why this oral surgeon would have prescribed narcan.  It has nothing to do with your post-op pain needs and everything to do with what might be going on in the orgal surgeon's back office.  This might be an interesting case for the local Drug Task Force of your PD.

@sfnative.  The op was prescribed Norco. Please read the thread. 

@proudlyfromNJ

Original Post:  Dentist prescribed NARCAN.  Pharmacist would not fill the prescription, as would have been appropriate. 

My response based on that information and is correct.

If the OP has made a change to her original poast, I have no knowledge of that.  Again, my response was base on the OP's first and original post!!!  (I know what I'm talking about.)