Honored Contributor

Re: No side effects from J&J

@Shelbelle 

Daughters boyfriend was determined to only take the J & J one shot vaccine, period.   As an essential state employee, he could've gotten the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine months ago, but was determined to wait for this one.   

He does not take a yearly flu shot.   

Honored Contributor

@ID2 

There is no guarantee any of us have the % of protection from the shot we take.   We are taking what is offered to us with the hope our bodies will produce the level of antibodies needed to protect us if we are exposed to the virus.   

I am glad there are 3 vaccines available.   I have been very concerned about my husband and daughters who have asthma and COPD.   Husband got Moderna thru the VA.   Teacher daughter got Moderna thru the school system.   Trucker daughter got J & J this week while she was home because she was here when the offer presented itself and she took advantage of the walk in opportunity.  

Personally, my choice was J & J, but I wasn't finding it available at local clinics; only Moderna at first.  Pfizer vaccine has been available locally for 2 weeks.   I was willing to wait, but once our local and state numbers started climbing, teacher daughter signed me up thru the school system invitation to family, and I got Moderna.   

I felt 74% protection in one shot was good enough for me.  I rarely leave my house more than 3x a month; am never in a crowd situation, and am very diligent with following the standard precautions for hand washing.   My risk factors are low, but I need to feel safe to be around my 86 year old mother in her home. 

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I would never choose the J&J vaccine. I'd rather have 95% protection vs. 74% which J&J has. 

@ID2  J&J = 100% effective to keep you out of the hospital AND the morgue.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@RedTop I think I read that the main difference in the effectiveness rates between vaccines has to do with the fact that the J&J vaccine started testing during a huge peak in Covid infections. So the people in that test group were unusually likely to encounter lots of people who were infected. It performed very well under those circumstances.

And all the vaccines are shown to protect equally marvelously against severe Covid and hospitalization.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

The J & J was tested in areas where the UK and South Africa variants were already active.  The Pfizer and Moderna were not.  I wonder if they had been, what the efficacy rates would have looked like. I bet they would have been similar to the J & J.  

In any event, friends of mine got the J & J on Monday and all three had minimal side effects that lasted through Wednesday.  They are all fine today and glad they don't have to go back for another shot.  I plan on getting the one and done as well as soon as I can (as does my husband).