Esteemed Contributor

Re: No appetite while losing weight

I've been doing low-carb for about 9 or 10 days now, and I don't get hungry.

I assume because low-carbs keeps your blood sugar stable. (I'm not diabetic.)

I must say, I feel much better, also; although I felt fine before....

Honored Contributor

@Iluvhandbags wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

What's the minimum number of calories you need to eat so your metabolism doesn't slow down? I know there is a threshold that you shouldn't go below but I can't remember what it is. 

I've been using My Fitness Pal as my food diary and it has me at about 1400 calories as my target to lose weight. I've lost over 30 pounds so far and kept it off for months now, but I have a lot more to go. The problem is that lately I haven't had much of an appetite. Once I eat about 800-900 calories I'm not hungry anymore. There is nothing wrong with me physically, I know it's mental and that I'm just feeling dedicated at getting the weight off. 

I'm drinking plenty of water, it's pretty much all I drink other than maybe 1 glass of milk at day. I'm exercising and I have plenty of energy. I don't think eating that little is healthy in the long run though. So I want to know on those days I don't feel like eating the whole 1300-1400 what minimum should I shoot for? 

I tried googling it but I didn't see a good answer. 

I use myfitnesspal also. The minimum amount of calories allowed for a woman is 1200. They will not allow a target goal to go below that. That is minimum daily recommended amount. Going below that on a consistent basis will cause long term damage to your body. Are you sure you are only eating 800-900 calories a day? Most people believe they are consuming less calories than they actually are. Unless you weigh your food, it is very easy to underestimate. Especially high calorie foods like nuts, peanut butter, etc....

i second the comments about seeing your doctor. If you don't have an appetite, there could be underlying issues.

@Iluvhandbags You know what, I just realized today that I was only looking at my net calories. So that's why it seemed low. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I just read on google that Weight Watchers now has a 24 hour hot line for member questions.  Thought that is a big plus.

Honored Contributor

I'm not interested in Weight Watchers. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval