Honored Contributor

No appetite while losing weight

What's the minimum number of calories you need to eat so your metabolism doesn't slow down? I know there is a threshold that you shouldn't go below but I can't remember what it is. 

I've been using My Fitness Pal as my food diary and it has me at about 1400 calories as my target to lose weight. I've lost over 30 pounds so far and kept it off for months now, but I have a lot more to go. The problem is that lately I haven't had much of an appetite. Once I eat about 800-900 calories I'm not hungry anymore. There is nothing wrong with me physically, I know it's mental and that I'm just feeling dedicated at getting the weight off. 

I'm drinking plenty of water, it's pretty much all I drink other than maybe 1 glass of milk at day. I'm exercising and I have plenty of energy. I don't think eating that little is healthy in the long run though. So I want to know on those days I don't feel like eating the whole 1300-1400 what minimum should I shoot for? 

I tried googling it but I didn't see a good answer. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: No appetite while losing weight

Ask your doctor and even get an appointment with a nutritionist if you can.  Good for you!  I think a nutritionist could really help you.

Respected Contributor

I don't think 800-900 calories will hurt you.  I know a long time ago when I was skinny, I only ate about that many calories per day.  I never ate over 1000 calories per day.  I did not have any ill effects from that number of calories.  Also, I was very active at that point in my life (I was in my late 20's into my 30's...   I need to loose weight now and wish that I had no appetite...  Keep up the good work.  If it bothers you, check with your physician...

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

I don't think 800-900 calories will hurt you.  I know a long time ago when I was skinny, I only ate about that many calories per day.  I never ate over 1000 calories per day.  I did not have any ill effects from that number of calories.  Also, I was very active at that point in my life (I was in my late 20's into my 30's...   I need to loose weight now and wish that I had no appetite...  Keep up the good work.  If it bothers you, check with your physician...

I just remember in my teens crash dieting and not eating enough and it was a disaster. So I don't want to do that again. Of course that was a long time ago LOL so I can't remember what the calorie goal was then. 

I've heard eating too little can mess up your metabolism which I don't want to do.

Honored Contributor

I don't think you're supposed to eat less than 1,200 calories a day.    That's what I've always heard.  Congratulations on your weight loss so far!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I would say as long as you are eating the right low calorie things, you should be ok.  I remember when I was actually dieting I would go days not eating much.  I think your body is trying to figure out what the heck you're doing.  LOL  I found that once you kick the sugar habit, your appetite is not the same.

Honored Contributor

Basic info on Caloric intake - (Google):

How Your Caloric Intake Affects Your Health

It is widely known that those who are overweight often eat many more calories than those who are at their ideal weight. Calories do have a direct bearing on health and the rate that you burn calories also determines your healthy weight levels.

It is difficult to set bottom line calories levels for health since everyone has a different body composition and their metabolism and activity levels are very different. However there are some baselines that suggest 1200 calories per day for women and 1800 calories per day for men. Remember these are only a starting point.

When your caloric intake is too low you will have several health problems. One problem is reduced muscles mass. Your body searches for sources of energy to just keep vital organs functioning and it will turn to your muscle mass for those energy foods. This is called catabolism. Your metabolic rate will drop dramatically if you eat too little calories and after three days of low calorie intake this will compound your muscle mass loss. When you don”t eat enough calories you become sluggish, develop nutritional deficiencies, and are often highly irritable. If you are lowering your caloric intake for weight reduction, you are actually setting yourself for high weight gain when you do being to eat properly again.

Binge dieting or not taking in enough calories can cause your vital organs to stop functioning properly. You will also have inadequate nutrient intake which will lead to electrolyte imbalances, low-potassium levels and low blood sugars. Watch for gallstones to form and gastrointestinal distress will now be a part of your life.

If you are looking for a quickie weight loss program look for a diet that will provide you with adequate calories to keep your organs and body functioning. Remember that you will definitely regain lost weight using low calorie diets, fatigue will keep you from working out and gaining back muscle mass, and you will lower your quality of life.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I don't think you're supposed to eat less than 1,200 calories a day.    That's what I've always heard.  Congratulations on your weight loss so far!

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Q4u

Honored Contributor

Here's a good online tool to use.

It uses your age, height, current weight, goal weight, activity level.

http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/

The arbitrary "1200 calories" is almost urban legend!  

Can't imagine anyone, healthfully and/or active, surviving on so few calories!!

I can remember Susan Powter (remember her??!)  saying a good 'off the cuff' guideline is to calculate your goal weight (say, 150) and add a zero for calories (1500)...for minimum, lay in bed all day, calories.  Add calories depending on exercise level.