Super Contributor

Re: Niece can't stop loosing weight. Why?????

On 2/16/2015 Juniper said:

I joined this forum just to comment on this post. When my daughter was 19 while in college, she started to lose weight quickly, like your niece. I accused her of everything under the sun, anorexia, drug use, trying to please a boyfriend--everything. Turned out she had Crohn's disease and it really did a job on her. I don't want to frighten you because this was 16 years ago and they do have better treatment for it now. But I feel so terrible about basically calling her a liar until the doctors' figured out what was wrong. BTW, excessive use of a bathroom is not only a symptom of anorexia, it also becomes a symptom of Crohn's since their meals seem to be rejected by their bodies--hence the weight loss. So please don't jump to conclusions about an eating disorder because I couldn't have been more wrong about my precious daughter.

Juniper--thank you for sharing your experience. Although I am sad that you and your daughter had to go through this, I am glad that she was accurately diagnosed and hope that she is doing well. I hope that your story offers hope to many and also helps decrease conclusion-jumping that we as humans all do. Best wishes to you and your daughter as well as to the OP and her niece.

Frequent Contributor

i have a daughter with autism who is 18. When she was 16 to 17, she lost 60lbs! All of a sudden, she like changed her eating habits. She still ate, just not as much and a few different items. I didnt know what was going on. It was like she went on a diet by herself (not that she would know what a diet was). We went to the doctor to make sure things were ok and nothing was wrong (all the normal testing was done, like you had)

She was losing like 5 lbs a month. I didnt think it was that bad, but it kept happening. Then all of a sudden, it stopped. (and she has gained some of it back too now)

Never did find out what was going on. (and with her, it was harder to find things out, because of the autism)

Hope you find a reason. And maybe it will stop, like my daughters did. (it was like a whole year this went on)

Trusted Contributor

I just wanted to wish you, your niece and family luck with this.

I think you have gotten a couple of very good ideas here in "thinking outside the box". Doctors are doing a battery of tests, so they should have, or hopefully will soon, find the answer.

I thought this was interesting from a post above: In her case it was a very rare digestive disorder called sucrase-isomaltase deficiency.

Maybe the doctor's could look at that angle.

I agree with many others that the diet she is on will only serve to help her lose more weight. Why doesn't the doctor put her on some sort of protein shake?

My first impulse was to think it sounded like an eating disorder, because it does, but we don't know your niece. I have known people with an eating disorder. As we all know, they hide it well, until it is painfully obvious, and they always deny there is a problem.

Whatever the issue may be, I hope she soon gets the help she needs!

Please keep us posted.

Gloria

Honored Contributor

Sounds like an eating disorder.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

Come on, Happyhousewife, ease off the OP! Obviously the family is approaching this from a proper medical point of view. She didn't post here to get a diagnosis, just to share and look for suggestions. The OP should not have to defend herself here.

I do agree with HH here, fish and vegetables won't hold much weight. She need some carbs in the diet, healthy carbs. She could have a fear of overeating and being overweight.

Contributor

On 2/16/2015 lucylover64 said:
On 2/16/2015 Juniper said:

I joined this forum just to comment on this post. When my daughter was 19 while in college, she started to lose weight quickly, like your niece. I accused her of everything under the sun, anorexia, drug use, trying to please a boyfriend--everything. Turned out she had Crohn's disease and it really did a job on her. I don't want to frighten you because this was 16 years ago and they do have better treatment for it now. But I feel so terrible about basically calling her a liar until the doctors' figured out what was wrong. BTW, excessive use of a bathroom is not only a symptom of anorexia, it also becomes a symptom of Crohn's since their meals seem to be rejected by their bodies--hence the weight loss. So please don't jump to conclusions about an eating disorder because I couldn't have been more wrong about my precious daughter.

Juniper--thank you for sharing your experience. Although I am sad that you and your daughter had to go through this, I am glad that she was accurately diagnosed and hope that she is doing well. I hope that your story offers hope to many and also helps decrease conclusion-jumping that we as humans all do. Best wishes to you and your daughter as well as to the OP and her niece.

Thank you, lucylover64. Your words are very kind and much appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Third party accounts of medical issues are so difficult, because we inevitably don't have all the information because pieces get left out with each telling. Even if the OP tells us all she knows, it's still not the whole account.

Is the doctor concerned or doing nothing? Has she returned to the doctor after getting those normal test results? What's the doctor saying is the next step? Is her mother pressing the doctor for answers or giving up? Has she seen a different doctor for a second opinion? Has the niece been to a psychologist? I would encourage a therapist because even if she isn't hiding an eating disorder, going through mystery illness the doctor can't diagnosis is always stressful and many people suffer from weight loss when under stress, a never-ending cycle.

Super Contributor

Something sounds amiss here. A doctor should be more than just a little concerned about this drastic weight loss.

Super Contributor

On 2/16/2015 moon said: I am 5'5" and in December i weighed about 112lbs. I am i light eater but i eat anything i want. Not especially healthy but not totally junkie either. I have fried chicken (a wing, half a thigh, half a baked potato ) a couple times a month or maybe a burger every other month. I don't drink sodas but i do like lemonade which i water down 50-50 ratio because i dont like icky sweet foods or drinks. If i have dessert, its usually like 3 teaspoons of cherry cheesecake. Just some dietary background. So on January 22 i was layed off of work. I now sleep through breakfast, then will have a half a tuna sandwich with about 6 potato chips around 11am, then maybe some yogurt around 3 and have dinner around 7. Which may be a chicken thigh, 1 cup rice and either 1/2 cup of broccoli or corn. Then maybe either 2 lemon sandwich cookies or 1 Pepperidge Farm Dark Chocolate cookie. Ok, now here is the point. I have lost 4lbs since Jan 22. (im now 108lbs) That may not seem like a lot, but i haven't been this light since jr.high school. Its true, i am skipping breakfast now that im not working but i am also more sedentary. I don't feel any different. I have hypothyroidism which i have been on meds for over 10yrs. I was sick in Dec. Had a cold for about 2 weeks but my cough lasted for a month (all gone now). We also went to Hawaii (cruise) for a couple of weeks. I felt fine except for the cough. Ate as usual. Well, im going for a.physical/pap/bloodwork next Friday. Is there any special testing i should be asking for? Also i will do stretching and floor exercises a couple times a week. I do NO cardio.
You arent consuming enough calories.
Contributor

If her eating hasn't changed but her weight has, clearly there's a medical issue. You didn't mention a gynecologist but while she might be missing periods because she's too thin, she might also be missing periods and losing weight for other reasons which should be checked out.