Honored Contributor

Re: Niece can't stop loosing weight. Why?????

SO - despite that she is losing all this weight she is still only eating fish and vegetables? She doesn't seem to want to change her dietary habits in order to assist putting some weight back on??? Do you think that is a bit odd. To be seeing doctors and going through all these tests but still basically only eating a weight loss diet?

Super Contributor

Definitely Anorexic!

Occasional Contributor

Has she been tested for parasites? Any foreign travel? Even if she has not travelled anywhere, I would rule out parasites if other medical issues and eating disorders have been ruled out. Just a thought.
Honored Contributor

I'm kind of surprised that her parents and her doctors can't do more to encourage her towards a better diet than fish and veggies. Is she living at home with her parents? Can't they make more nourishing meals? I feel like something is missing here. Not from the OP, but from the parents and doctors. Do they not all see something is radically wrong with a teenager eating only fish and veggies?

New Contributor

Has she been tested for celiac disease? Before my son was diagnosed, he was eating really well, but still losing weight. When he went on a gluten free diet, he started gaining weight immediately.
Valued Contributor

I hope when they were doing all this work up that they also referred her to a Registered Dietitian. That would be one more set of eyes and another source of evaluation.

Esteemed Contributor

She and her twin are probably competing in some areas. Look at that relationship....

Valued Contributor

On 2/14/2015 elainemasey said: Not asking for a diagnosis.... Was just hoping that someone would have gone thru something similar and how they fixed it. Just other ideas, when you feel like you have thought of everything, sometimes you need new ideas. Also, I know from past experience that some times Doctors are looking for some "big" issue when it could be some easier solution. For example... for years I took my mother to her primary care doctor here in Massachusetts and in Florida, to Pulminary doctors and chest X-rays for a horrible sounding cough that she had, they all said her lungs were clear but the cough sounded really bad..Then one night when she was in rehab from a knee replacement, she was coughing, an overnight nurse at the rehab took a look at her meds and suggested a different med.... I spoke to the doctor and she was ok... I guess we could try a different med and guess what.... No more cough... Several Drs and it took a new overnight nurse to figure it out. Not looking for anyone to play Doctor... She's been to one of the best hospitals, Brigham and Woman's. They made little out of it.... Sister taking her to a new endocrinologist on Monday.
you said she eats alot of fish and vegetables? How about eating alot of cheesecake and lasagna and see how that works.
Honored Contributor

Sometimes family members/parents don't want to admit the obvious (after all of the testing, etc.). Sometimes it's a family problem (control issues, etc.), and some type of family group therapy/classes/support groups might help. Let's hope that the new nutritionist can help with the eating problems. Lots of good luck to this young woman.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I would never say this except it happened to someone who I think is basically a good parent. She and her husband truly did not know her daughter was anorexic until an aunt brought it to their attention. Treatment was difficult at first, but overall, it went pretty well. I really think this might be the problem.