Super Contributor

Re: Niece can't stop loosing weight. Why?????

I am a school counselor. I see between the lines. One needs to see what the behavior is telling you, not the words. She is thin, loses a lot of weight in a short amount of time, and only eats fish and vegetables. What kind of teen only eats fish and vegetables except the ones obsessed with their weight? I bet she eats very little at that. There are hardly any calories in fish or vegetables. You are looking at an eating disorder. I find parents are the last ones to admit there is a problem such as this. Sorry for what she is going thru. She has issues that need to be resolved probably.
Honored Contributor

I could never please my family. If I gained, they called me "fat"...........and if I lost, they asked me if I was "sick"................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Contributor

This reminds me of my nephews wife. She had the same problem, went to all the drs had all the tests etc and come to find out she was on drugs! Her husband didn't know, she wasnt the stereotypical drug person and the drs didn't catch it. I'm not saying your niece is on drugs but that was her story. She has since stopped and given birth to a beautiful baby boy!!
Esteemed Contributor

This young girl is 17. The option for treatment may change at 18 when she becomes an adult.

Respected Contributor

Well hopefully the family will find answers soon. So many possibilities, when my daughter was 9 she was diagnosed with Diabetes. The couple months before diagnoses she lost a lot of weight, since she was also getting very tall we attributed it to a growing spurt. Then she crashed and had to be ambulanced to a major hospital in another state. Looking back at pictures she looked like a skeleton.

If it does turn out to be an eating disorder she'll need all the help and support she can get. Good luck to everyone on that.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

Have they checked for a hyperthyroid condition or anemia (possible internal intestinal bleeding)? If these tests are normal, I would suspect purging as well. Teenage girls are all body conscious and have been brainwashed by our media that they must conform to certain ideals all of which are unattainable and unhealthy.
Super Contributor

On 2/15/2015 luvingit said: I am a school counselor. I see between the lines. One needs to see what the behavior is telling you, not the words. She is thin, loses a lot of weight in a short amount of time, and only eats fish and vegetables. What kind of teen only eats fish and vegetables except the ones obsessed with their weight? I bet she eats very little at that. There are hardly any calories in fish or vegetables. You are looking at an eating disorder. I find parents are the last ones to admit there is a problem such as this. Sorry for what she is going thru. She has issues that need to be resolved probably.

Although I understand posters are trying to offer support and help to the OP, I am a licensed psychotherapist and just wanted to share that it can be "dangerous" making "diagnoses"/assumptions such as this based on the limited information that was shared by the OP. It is very important that physical issues continue to be further investigated for a variety of reasons. Best of wishes to the OP and her family, regardless of any actual test/evaluation results.

Trusted Contributor

Had a similar problem in late 2012. I am overweight, so doctors kept praising me although I kept saying, "I am not trying to lose weight." Eventually, problem was discovered. I had a faulty pancreas which eliminated my ability to get nutrition from my food. I also was losing hair, etc. and the " fix" resulted in my losing most of my pancreas and ongoing issues. But the point is that there always is a reason for weight loss or gain. Keep pushing for answers so that the problem does not become worse.
Trusted Contributor

On 2/14/2015 elainemasey said: They went to see a doctor at Brigham and Woman's hospital in Boston. They told her she doesn't eat enough, she eats a lot of fish and veggies not much else, and to see a nutritionist. Nothing wrong with her and she is not getting her period because her body is in "starvation mode". ...
Sometimes the simplest answer really is the right answer. I know that you and your family are looking for different answers, but the doctors told you she isn't eating enough calories, and that she is in starvation mode due to her inadequate calories. They've advised her to see a nutritionalist. Once she has seen a nutritionalist and is on a diet that provides adequate calories, you and your family may find that there was no mystery in this at all. Of course, like many have said, there ARE diseases that will cause weight loss. But the doctors she has seen have already told your niece she is not eating enough. I think you need to start there rather than looking too much further online. You will just scare yourself thinking about the worst case scenarios.
Super Contributor

On 2/15/2015 CAshopper2011 said:
On 2/14/2015 elainemasey said: They went to see a doctor at Brigham and Woman's hospital in Boston. They told her she doesn't eat enough, she eats a lot of fish and veggies not much else, and to see a nutritionist. Nothing wrong with her and she is not getting her period because her body is in "starvation mode". ...
Sometimes the simplest answer really is the right answer. I know that you and your family are looking for different answers, but the doctors told you she isn't eating enough calories, and that she is in starvation mode due to her inadequate calories. They've advised her to see a nutritionalist. Once she has seen a nutritionalist and is on a diet that provides adequate calories, you and your family may find that there was no mystery in this at all. Of course, like many have said, there ARE diseases that will cause weight loss. But the doctors she has seen have already told your niece she is not eating enough. I think you need to start there rather than looking too much further online. You will just scare yourself thinking about the worst case scenarios.

CAshopper2011 brings up excellent points, especially the last sentence. It is so hard when dealing with these difficult issues.

Please take care, elainemasey, and best wishes to you and your niece.