Super Contributor

Re: Niece can't stop loosing weight. Why?????

My first guess is an eating disorder. The purging can be caused by laxatives instead of vomiting, so it's easier to hide. She would need to be monitored very closely (not by her sister) to determine what she is eating and other habits.

Honored Contributor

I pray your family finds the answer soon.

My first thought is to confirm (ie., PROOF) of exactly what she is eating and how much. You had one physician visit who commented she wasn't eating enough. You say she's pretty much only eating fish and vegetables but how many calories and has she increased her food intake to try and gain?

As someone with personal experience with an eating disorder I can confirm that it can be hidden and exist despite denials to family.

I don't think you can have a clear path to exploring other medical explanations until the eating has been confirmed one way or another.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/14/2015 MalteseMomma said:

ask her dr to give her an 8 hr blood glucose tolerance test for low blood sugar. She just drinks like 8 oz or so of glucose first thing in the morning and he tests her U - R- IN and blood every hour for 8 hrs If your blood goes down ,down,down you have hypoglasimia (spelling ?)

I had it and went down to 90 lbs in my 20's

most Drs never think to test for it actually I just happened to see a tv show about it and asked told my dr how I was feeling and he ordered it.

I am hypoglycemic which was determined while in my early 20s. My blood sugar bottomed out at the 4th hour at 32. My internist told me he couldn't figure out why I wasn't asleep with such low blood sugar.

However, the point I need to make is that I never had any weight loss, so please, folks, don't think that everyone diagnosed with hypoglycemia is going to be underweight.

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago I worked for a pediatric cardiologist. One day, we had a patient referred to us by her pediatrician. She was 13 y/o.

After just a few minutes, my boss buzzed me and asked me to "walk this family down to Psychiatry because I think this girl is anorexic"...... He had already called the Psychiatrist and spoken to her.

Later on, I asked him why he thought she was anorexic and he said "I just asked her two questions and am pretty sure I'm right"......

I wish I could remember what the questions were - but my point is, if you get the right doctor, they can hit the nail on the head if they just know the right things to ask. Children are not miniature adults and have to be handled in a different way.....

Super Contributor

I only skimmed the previous posts but does your niece acknowledge that this is a problem? Has any doctor prescribed her a calorie dense high nutrition drink? Have they tested her for parasites? If her condition is alarming enough (it sounds like it is), have any doctors requested a full body scan (PET or CAT) to determine if there's anything going on inside? A blood test is merely superficial. Also, it's very true that she can hide purging.

Super Contributor

On 2/14/2015 Vivian said: My granddaughter had a bout of weight loss for two years between te ages of 8 and 10 years old. It took those two years until they could get a diagnosis. In her case it was a very rare digestive disorder called sucrase-isomaltase deficiency. She is unable to digest certain foods and that's why she became so thin. Your family needs to find a physician who can think outside the box. Yes, your niece could be concealing important information but it's also possible that she needs a doctor with a litte more imagination to find out what's wrong.

OP... I hope you've read this post!

Respected Contributor

Wow, that is serious weight loss. She's not getting her period because she is TOO THIN.

It could certainly spell eating disorder, as that often happens with them.

If she has had the most basic blood tests, her glucose should have been tested. That would show diabetes. That kind of weight loss could occur in type 1 diabetes.

Cancers would concern me, as well as possible gastrointestinal disorders, although you would often see other symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhea too.

People with eating disorders are extremely good at hiding them, especially at first.

I wish your family well and an answer SOON.

Hyacinth

Super Contributor

This is sad to hear. Is everyone absolutely certain she is not anorexic or bulimic. Generally, the person afflicted with these diseases is great at hiding them. I hope a solution is found soon.

Trusted Contributor

I trust her doctor is as concerned as her family. I hope that he will get to the bottom of this. My heart goes out to you. Seeing a teen with a BMI so 14 is not a pretty sight, and when I hear someone that thin has a diet of "vegetables and fish" I see it as a bit of a red flag. It would be one thing if she was eating pasta and grilled cheese snadwiches each night but still dropping weight. You can eat lots of vegetables in a day and only consume 2-300 calories, and the human body burns around 800 just laying on a bed breathing each day. If it were a loved one of mine I would ask her whether she feels like she is too thin, and whether she wants to gain weight. If she says no to either, you will have a pretty good idea of the problem. Good luck.
Trusted Contributor

On 2/15/2015 CAshopper2011 said: I trust her doctor is as concerned as her family. I hope that he will get to the bottom of this. My heart goes out to you. Seeing a teen with a BMI so 14 is not a pretty sight, and when I hear someone that thin has a diet of "vegetables and fish" I see it as a bit of a red flag. It would be one thing if she was eating pasta and grilled cheese snadwiches each night but still dropping weight. You can eat lots of vegetables in a day and only consume 2-300 calories, and the human body burns around 800 just laying on a bed breathing each day. If it were a loved one of mine I would ask her whether she feels like she is too thin, and whether she wants to gain weight. If she says no to either, you will have a pretty good idea of the problem. Good luck.

ITA...My stepdaughter, who lived with us was a bulimic in H.S. Trust me... I never knew because she hid it so well. One thing I remember is her changing her dietary habits... eating only certain foods. Does she eat anything fattening such as milkshakes, burgers to try to gain weight?