Honored Contributor

Nexium seems to work better for me than Prilosec

[ Edited ]

This is the best I have felt in a year, since  contracting  my stomach problems.  I have been on Nexium since Monday, and am taking it 2x a day as per my Dr recommended

I am posting this as a heads up for people that are having digestive issues ,and  are taking meds for it.

Even though I had to pay for Nexium it was worth it.  I am not sure that medicare will cover it for me. My pharmacy called and said they are having insurance troubles. My Drs. nurse warned me that  they might balk.  Even if they do, I will pay for it myself.

Valued Contributor

Re: Nexium seems to work better for me than Prilosec

I’m so glad, @cherry.  It sounds like you are taking prescription Nexium, and there is a generic now that insurance might pay for. Check with your doctor. It works just as well.  It’s good to hear you’re doing better!

Honored Contributor

I did say to the nurse I will take generic Nexium but it seems they are balking. They know I have been scoped  and the results. They balked at prilosec until my Dr told them I have to use it

It is sort of expensive, but well worth it, if it continues to work for me.  This year has been so trying for me.  I am up through out the night taking things, so I can sleep, and I am very careful with my diet

Valued Contributor

When you find something that works, it’s worth every penny. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can buy Nexium without a prescription.  You might want to compare prices.  For 42 tablets of 24-hr Nexium it is $22.90 at Amazon on Prime.  The Kirkland brand of generic Nexium is $16.25 + $5.86 shipping, so basically the same price.  You could probably find it cheaper somewhere else.  I would imagine the generic is quite a bit less with a prescription.

Edited to say:  Target is slightly more expensive.  Target charges $5.99 for shipping.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

The insurance decllined the scrip. So, I am going to buy it myself.  I am so grateful to be almost symptom free ,that it is worth every penny to me and I haven't even been on it for a week yet

Perhaps once I get back to feeling normal, I can back off to once a day

Honored Contributor

@cherry, you can take the OTC Nexium and just take the higher dosage that your doctor recommends, and it will be as inexpensive as possible. 

Classic example: When my sciatica, arthritis and back pain act up, my doctor prescribes 800 mg of ibuprofen - but that’s for convenience. I can, and do, also just buy Advil or generic Advil which are 200 mg tablets, and I take 3 or 4. I like having to only take one pill vs 3 or 4, but I can also get the med on my own if I need to. 

Buying at Costco is as cheap as you’ll get, probably.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

My husband suffered with ulcer symptoms for 40 years, yes 40 years!! Every doctor he mentioned his symptoms to just made light of it and really never did anything to help him. He was on OTC Prilosec anytime he felt a flair up. His doctor would tell him if it works for him than just stick with doing that. We recently moved and acquired a brand new doctor. This doctor wanted to know why he has these symptoms. He was scheduled for a scope down his esophogus to take a look into his stomach. Yup, sure enough he had 40 years of scarring and ulcers visible. He was prescribed mega doses of antibiotics for 2 full weeks. Walla! He's like a new man! Don't settle for the temporary fixes for stomach issues, see a gastro doctor and have them look inside for the culprit of your discomfort. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I've already seen a gastro and have been scoped. I have a diagnoses. I don't have ulcers

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry

“The lowest GoodRx price for the most common version of esomeprazole is around $28.50, 88% off the average retail price of $244.08.”

And more:

https://www.purplepill.com/heartburn-relief/purple-plus-savings-card.html

GET PRESCRIPTION NEXIUM FOR $15 A MONTH OR $30 FOR A 90-DAY SUPPLY*

42D3BD3E-3DCD-4649-9AB4-40B423371CA4.png

Right now I know you just want to feel better and I’m so glad this is helping you!

I have ordered esomeprazole from ALL Day Chemist in India and this I took for probably two years. (was very cheap at the time)

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~