Honored Contributor

Re: Newly diagnosed diabetic

Funny....when I read your post I thought it could've been easily written,

Diabetes is a multi

.....million dollar business.   

It it the goal of 99.999% of doctors NOT to get their patients better, no matter what.  Visits, surgery & pill $$$ lines the pockets of all those doctors...no wonder they prescribe the polar opposite to getting healthy.

I realize I'm highly, highly, HIGHLY in the minority here in this forum.  BUT, I know 10,000+ members read & it's nice to have a balance of information.  If this conversation just sparks some curiosity, I've done my job.

Dr. McDougall is not the only doctor presenting a Low Fat, Whole Foods, Plant Based WOE for optimum health.

Other doctors,

Caldwell Esselstyn

T Colin Campbell

Neal Barnard

Terry Mason

Joel Furhman

Joel Kahn

Micheal Greger

....and the list goes on and on and on.   And they all basically prescribe a diet high in plants & low in fat & no/occasional animal.  

It's a healthy, clean, efficient, inexpensive & ethical diet. I would think everyone would want to try it to attain at least ONE of those things. 

Good evening!!! 🍅🍆🌽🍠🍎🍌🍏🍐🍑💚💚💚

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Diabetes is a multi

It it the goal of 99.999% of doctors NOT to get their patients better, no matter what.  Visits, surgery & pill $$$ lines the pockets of all those doctors...no wonder they prescribe the polar opposite to getting healthy.

I realize I'm highly, highly, HIGHLY in the minority here in this forum.  BUT, I know 10,000+ members read & it's nice to have a balance of information.  If this conversation just sparks some curiosity, I've done my job.

Dr. McDougall is not the only doctor presenting a Low Fat, Whole Foods, Plant Based WOE for optimum health.

Other doctors,

Caldwell Esselstyn

T Colin Campbell

Neal Barnard

Terry Mason

Joel Furhman

Joel Kahn

Micheal Greger

....and the list goes on and on and on.   And they all basically prescribe a diet high in plants & low in fat & no/occasional animal.  

It's a healthy, clean, efficient, inexpensive & ethical diet. I would think everyone would want to try it to attain at least ONE of those things. 

You've done your "JOB"???? Are you paid for your endorsements here of this physician? Speaking of money, this physican also makes a fortune advocating his "diet." The major players .....Joslin and the American Diabetes Association do not advise anyone with diabetes to eat this way. And no matter how many times you push this diet, blood sugars of 150 to 350 are not acceptable.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VioletEyes wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Diabetes is a multi

Other doctors,

Caldwell Esselstyn

T Colin Campbell

Neal Barnard

Terry Mason

Joel Furhman

Joel Kahn

Micheal Greger

You've done your "JOB"???? Are you paid for your endorsements here of this physician? Speaking of money, this physican also makes a fortune advocating his "diet." The major players .....Joslin and the American Diabetes Association do not advise anyone with diabetes to eat this way. And no matter how many times you push this diet, blood sugars of 150 to 350 are not acceptable.

That's correct....BS #s of 150-350 are NOT acceptable on a long-term basis.  But in the interim, while adopting a healthier diet/lifestyle, those numbers will stabilize....and will dramatically drop to the healthy range of 50-10#s with a removal/major reduction of medication.  Win-win.  

If one is living 'in normal ranges' with medication...that's just a Fool's Paradise.  The ultimate goal of any plant based program is the reduction/removal of medication.    

I truly believe people like to be sick...this is a prime example.   And they must like popping pills, sticking with needles, having their chest cracked open, can't feel their feet, no eyesight & ED for men.  That's just not a world I understand.  Taking copious amount of medication is not acceptable. 

It's amusing to me how people are so scared of health.  This 'diet' isn't voodoo.  It's a lifestyle many, many cultures around the world have been eating for generations.   Don't understand why people are so scared of a carrot!!    😀

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@VioletEyes wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Diabetes is a multi

Other doctors,

Caldwell Esselstyn

T Colin Campbell

Neal Barnard

Terry Mason

Joel Furhman

Joel Kahn

Micheal Greger

That's correct....BS #s of 150-350 are NOT acceptable on a long-term basis.  But in the interim, while adopting a healthier diet/lifestyle, those numbers will stabilize....and will dramatically drop to the healthy range of 50-10#s with a removal/major reduction of medication.  Win-win.  

If one is living 'in normal ranges' with medication...that's just a Fool's Paradise.  The ultimate goal of any plant based program is the reduction/removal of medication.    

I truly believe people like to be sick...this is a prime example.   And they must like popping pills, sticking with needles, having their chest cracked open, can't feel their feet, no eyesight & ED for men.  That's just not a world I understand.  Taking copious amount of medication is not acceptable. 

It's amusing to me how people are so scared of health.  This 'diet' isn't voodoo.  It's a lifestyle many, many cultures around the world have been eating for generations.   Don't understand why people are so scared of a carrot!!    😀

Type 1 diabetics are not people who want to be sick nor are people suffering from Type 2 diabetes. Your words are hurtful and based on nothing but what you regurgitate this harmful physican advocates for diabetics.

There is no cure for diabetes and anyone who says otherwise is a charlatan.

I'm done on this topic. Apparently, having a conscience and prescribing a diet for diabetics with blood glucose levels of 300 that could seriously kill them, you have no real interest in learning about, is your agenda.

Honored Contributor

@VioletEyes  The conversation was about Type 2 diabetes....and all my conversation refers to that.  Of course, Type 1 will always need medication intervention.  I apologize if I referred to Type 1 in any way. 

Honored Contributor

No, I am not diabetic.

As indicated in the above post, the 150-350 #s were stated for NEW, INITIAL patients...they are to stabilize at that range...before lowering to the normal range of 50-100 with proper diet/exercise.  

-------------------------------------------------------

I am floored that you would push this diet agenda without actually having the disease.  

When I was diagnosed my blood sugars were 499.  I could have gone into a coma.  I wasn't told to "stabilize" at 150 - 350, I was told to make drastic changes IMMEDIATELY (no sugars, no simple carbs, limited complex carbs and cut portions) and to get my numbers down to normal!!.  I did that and my A1C went from 12 to 6.2 in three months.  No sugar, no potatos (of any kind), no dairy (there are natural sugars in dairy) and little saturated fats.  Everyone is different of course, but the basics I was taught from the Diabetes class I had were extremely successful.... so much so that I have not deviated from it and have kept my numbers low.   

You mention motive (making money) selling pills to diabetics.  I mention motive (making money selling books, lectures, etc.) by the doctor promoting this diet to diabetics....  I find it more than disturbing.  

..... And I'm done as well.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

And for everyone thinking they are successful with just "MANAGING" their diabetes....that's a life no one should live.   You deserve SO much MORE than that!!

The ultimate goal of any Type 2 diabetic on Earth is to not have a bag of pills, daily injections or the risk of daily finger pricks.    A healthy diet & lifestyle will get you to that point!

So many people have been living with this condition and 'managing' that they think they are 'normal'.  It's a classic case of,

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. 

TRY the polar opposite for a couple weeks or a month!  

Just try adhering 100% to a low fat, plant based diet.

You might get...GASP...better!! 

Death by Moderation is not acceptable in my life.  

You deserve so much more than that!!! 💙💚❤️

I don't take ANY meds and have brought my a1c into normal range by eating healthy diet, thank you for your concern.

My sister is Vegan, has been for at least the past 15 years.  She STILL struggles with her blood glucose levels and a1c and like you, is still convinced that her lifestyle is the only answer.

I'll stick with what I know works for me, and GASP, I'm living a happy healthy life.

Respected Contributor

@VioletEyes wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Diabetes is a multi

Other doctors,

Caldwell Esselstyn

T Colin Campbell

Neal Barnard

Terry Mason

Joel Furhman

Joel Kahn

Micheal Greger

I've often wondered that too VioletEyes.

Honored Contributor

@demitra wrote:

I know there are tons of articles on dos and don'ts on-line, but I'm looking for personal responses.

Will you share your most important tips, FOODS, and advice?  I have quit all bread, starchy vegetables, and desserts. 

Do you have good snack suggestions?

Thanks in advance. I'm determined to change my diet and have been doing well I THINK for the past six weeks. I will have an A1C test in September. I do not have a monitor as of yet. My doctor will talk to me about that after he gets my results next month.

I've read this thread with great interest. I'm a type 1 diabetic. Demitra, please consult your doctor or a dietician. The one who has taken over this thread, who isn't even a diabetic, is spewing tons of false information! Please consult your professionals. Good luck to you!

"Pure Michigan"
Frequent Contributor

I'm a Type 2 diabetic, diagnosed in 1992.  A few years after diagnosis, my pancreas stopped working altogether, necessitating  the use of insulin.  For the last 12 years I've worn an insulin pump.  I KNOW about carbs.  FWIW, here's what I consider GOOD advice to people diagnosed with diabetes.

1.  See an endocrinologist.  While "Dr. Joe", your family physician can diagnose it and at least get you started on a treatment/diet, the endocrinologist specializes in it.  

2.  What FAT does in food is SLOW DOWN the body's process of turning carbs into sugars.  For me, foods such as pasta, pizza, rice, et al, necessitate my insulin dose be given over a period of 2-3 hours.  If I took it all at once, my sugar level would go down faster than the Titanic before my body has the chance to convert the carbs.

3.  I highly recommend the purchase of one of those electronic kitchen scales that not only weighs food, but also counts the carbs.  You can get a good one at WalMart for about $30-$40.  What you find may amaze you.  A large baked potato can run anywhere from 60-80 carbs.  A large plate of, say, spaghetti, will hit 140 carbs.  In my case this last would need 14 UNITS of insulin!

4.  As for food, vegetables such as corn or peas are startchy, same with lima beans and baked beans.....not to mention the brown sugar, etc that gets cooked with the baked variety.  Vegetables such as green beans, brocolli, cauliflower, lettuce, etc., are so low in carbs they're almost negligible.  Meat is a freebie.

5.  Get a good book on carb counting.  I highly recommend the Calorie King Pocket Calorie, Fat, & Carb Counter.  The first day I met with my endocrinologist, he made it mandatory that I purchase a copy of this before leaving the clinic.  It cost $7.95 in 2005, don't know what it is now.  Believe me, it's well worth it, and it's available online. (www.calorieking.com)

6.  Get your eyes checked regularly.  High sugar can cause eye problems, foot problems, heart and kidney trouble.

7.  Get the blood checker.  If you look around there's a lot of them that have rebates that make it practically free.  I check my sugar an average of 5-6 times a day, most of the time in early am when I get up, two hours after each meal, and always before bed.

8.  If you're a diabetic, be aware of low sugar and what the signs are.  Feeling warm, sweating, light headiness or dizzy feeling, blurred vision can all signal a drop.  One of the fastest ways to get it back to normal levels is orange juice.  I get the one pint bottles of OJ and always keep a couple in the frig.  In my truck I carry a tube of sugar wafers. They work almost as fast, but leave a horrible taste.