Respected Contributor

Newly Diagnosed Diabetics, I thought of a tool that might help us....

Well, I recently became a member of this club and was diagnosed while I was in the hospital for a completely different reason. We have no RDs or Diabetes Educators around here, but my Primary and his nurse have been extremely helpful. I am on calorie restriction and test blood sugars six times a day. I keep a food diary, and that is very useful. I happen to have a number of diabetic magazines-complete with recipes-and I bought a few cookbooks.### As you probably know, planning is all important-and it can be aggravating because I am finding many recipes are written for the 1400-1600 calorie range. I still have to do a lot of calculations, but when I am planning the next day's meals, it drives me crazy figuring out what starch or protein to possibly kick out of one meal, so I can have a recipe I really enjoy. I am not talking about skipping meals, or hoarding calories so I can have a big meal: that's a really bad idea....but in planning, I took a stroll down Memmory Lane and fondly recalled Richard Simmon's Deal-a-Meal: at that time, all portions were correct for diabetics, and I am sure he has updated them. He does have a web site and he still sells it. He also sells somnething called a Meal Mover which is like Deal, but there are no cards involved. I ordered a set of Deal-a-Meal cards and also a couple of cookbooks of his. ( They came way down in price and I remember they were very easy to use: all the work is done for you). . I am not abandoning my food journal, or some websites I have found, but I can see these cards and the cookbooks being a big help. Poodlepet2
Trusted Contributor

Re: Newly Diagnosed Diabetics, I thought of a tool that might help us....

That all sounds so complicated to me. My diabetes counselor gave me some very simple pamphlets about counting carbs which helped me a lot. Then again, I don't generally do elaborate recipes. I pretty much stick to lean proteins and vegetables. I'm so glad I don't have to test blood sugar as often as you do but then I'm not on medications. I hope it works out for you.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Esteemed Contributor

I am a type two. The deal a meal sounds like a great idea for you. I dont count much because i am so under weight i need tbe calories. My ac1 is excellent.
Esteemed Contributor

I can see,how the cards would really help you plan ykur meals for the day. Unlike having to think ok this has so manh carbs so that counts as one carb. You can move all your csrds over for your planned meals then you see.what you have left. Just remember your serving size. If i remember right you can put the amount kf cards in the wallet for your calories. Then you wont have to keep track. This would make it so easy.
Honored Contributor

Portion size is key, especially starchy carbs. I have a Richard Simmons tool where you start the day with all the windows open and close them as you eat each category. I like mine, and it is a valuable tool. Great idea!!
Honored Contributor

OP - sounds like a very good idea. How clever of you to think of it.

Respected Contributor

Hi Tissy and Happy! Greetings to new friends here! Tissyanne, I thought about the Meal Mover, which is what you have. The reason I went with Deal-a-Meal is that years ago-24 some odd years, I used it and it came with two booklets, one was a cookbook. There are days when my Cooking Muse takes a vacation, and I can't think of anything to make-let alone portions, etc....that's where things like Richard Simmons is invaluable. Another plan I need to familiarize myself with is Weight Watchers: I remember them having diabetic friendly recipes. For myself, I can eat quite simply, but my DH works hard, and I want to make enjoyable meals for him. He has always been a devoted family man and husband, and cooking a tasty dinner for him is the least I can do.....on the portion front, my scale and measuring cups are indeed being used. Poodlepet2
Esteemed Contributor

Hopefully I reversed mine. Lost over 25 pounds and cut out the desserts and even sugar substitutes that were making me crave sweets. I am not doing much in the way of breads and pasta. I am also tracking my exercise (fitbit) and logging in to myfitnesspal dot com to get support and recording what I eat. Keeping my choices in check.

Contributor

Deal A Meal and the Meal Mover are basically the same thing...one uses cards, one uses windows. I've used both in the past to lose weight prior to being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. They are good for watching calorie count and learning portion size.

For good diabetes control you also need to add in carb counting and you need to use your meter to discover how many carbs per meal your body can handle (This will vary from person to person.) and which foods spike your blood sugar.

When I was first diagnosed and discovered that watching carbs was the key to control (No thanks to the educators they sent me to who were not helpful at all.), I found a good Nutrition Guide which told me how many carbs were in a wide variety of foods and counted carbs. Using my meter readings as my guide, I discovered how many carbs I could handle per meal and time of day (For example, if I want to enjoy a sweet treat as I have not eliminated them totally from my diet, I can process them best at lunchtime when I am most active.). I also use an app on my iPad called MyNetDiary, which is basically a food diary. I type in what I am eating and the amount per meal and it gives me calories, carb, fat, sodium counts along with some other nutritional values that I have plugged into the program. Through trial and error, I found that it is best if I stay away from breads, potatoes, white rice, white pastas, cereals . I limit sugar, brown rice, corn, whole wheat pasta, and watch fruit amounts. When I reduced my carbs, not only did I bring my blood sugar levels into normal range, but I also lost weight. I also exercise. I walk almost everyday and I also walk my dog twice a day.

Respected Contributor

have you tried diabeticlivingonline.com

good info and recipes