Esteemed Contributor

Re: New to Pilates and just love it

I love pilates!  I lift weights and when I realized how inflexible I was, a guy at the gym recommended pilates.

I bought some used DVDs from Amazon, then discovered programs on OnDemand.

I haven't looked back since!  I'm glad you are enjoying it as well.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Smiley HappyI received my aero pirates 5 cord machine yesterday. My husband helped me set it up and convert part of my art studio for my Pilates machine. I ordered the extra pillow also.

I have done Pilates classes in the past and it was the only exercise routine I ever truly enjoyed. When I saw the great price for the machine I went for it.

i am hoping to increase my strength and flexibility and more specifically to tone my arms and upper back. I have noticed at 55 years of age and working on a computer 5-6 hours a day my shoulders are starting to become rounded and my head is slouching forward slightly. I am hoping I can work on that area and avoid a "dowager's hump."

I am committed to using my machine and continuing my healthy diet. I've lost 45 lbs since August and it is definitely time to add exercise to my routine and tone up. I believe the Aeropilates is going to be a big part of that. Congratulations to all who pledge to work on their body and health in 2016!

i took a before pic yesterday for the 30 day jumpstart challenge, can't wait to see the differenceSmiley Happy

"The love you extend to others, will eventually find it's way back to you, no matter how many times it has left you hurt."
Honored Contributor

I've always been in shape but ever since incorporating Pilates into my routine about 10 years ago, I've seen amazing changes in terms of longer, leaner muscles, making me look even leaner but still with curves, and so much stronger, especially my core. This has helped with less back issues too. Love Pilates!

Regular Contributor

Pilates is great! Smiley Happy

I started with a basic class for beginners which I think is best to learn how to do it right.

Frequent Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@FIFI, you can see from my post above that I am a big Pilates lover for many years.  My suggestion would be for you to try mat Pilates before you go for the purchase of the machine.  When you start with Pilates, you will not be able to do all of the moves right away.  Don't let that discourage you as you will get better every day.

It is a wonderful feeling just to stretch your body.  Move gently into the exercise and you will see steady improvement if you stick with it.  I find Pilates great for flexibility and toning.  You may see some weight loss at first but, IMO, you need to do cardio for consistent weight loss or maintenance.

If you find you like the mat exercises a lot, then go for the machine. 

It it would be good if you could find a beginners Pilates workout.  I started with Windsor Pilates and they had an experienced Pilates person on the video and one who was doing modified positions for beginners.  I found that very helpful.

Good luck!  LM

ITA!