Honored Contributor

Re: New study on Juice for diabetics

[ Edited ]

@ncascade wrote:

Hey where were all you people when I said there was a lot of sugar in that there tuna salad?

I can't eat Tuna Salad, it definitely bumps up my BS...  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

When I lived in SoCal, the Vons/Safeway stores carried a particular brand of fresh juice that was much lower carb than any of the major brands. I would get that brand when I wanted/needed a fresh vitamin boost. 

Now that I’ve moved north, this brand has vanished from the stores. I think it’s Juiceology.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

wrote:

This came from India, and I can't find any mention of it ,on diabetic websites. It might be too soon ,or the don't trust the study

It was found that  juice doesn't spike your blood sugar  ,according to the results of studies in India. It can be used as a fruit in your daily diet.  So ,you might be able to have a morning glass of juice without worry.

@cherry

FYI - this study was funded by the Juice Products Association and conducted on healthy individuals. 

Honored Contributor

This is definitely fake news. Things like fruit juice and dried fruits have much more concentrated sugars than just eating the fruit.

Trusted Contributor

I haven't read the entire thread yet but my advice would be to test blood sugar to see what juice does to it. I wouldn't waste my time because juice is so full of natural sugar that I know my bs would spike. 

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

And on a side note - don’t you loooove the non-diabetics in your life who don’t know s*** about diabetes, but watch every.single.thing you put in your mouth, with a running commentary about why “as a diabetic” you shouldn’t be eating it and what’s wrong with you, how can you not know that, “everyone” does.

Loved when one co-worker did this every day after lunch. Then I would test and my 2 hr PP BG would be 130-140. Of course, the ickiness of testing, the whole needing to test and actually doing it was too nitty-gritty, too “ooh yuck” and was NOT her thing. She didn’t care about reality, only demonstrating her superior knowledge - when she didn’t know diddly.

I understand why this would be annoying. I wish some days that someone would question me/hold me accountable for what I'm eating as I make some really bad choices. I wish that on days that I don't care enough about myself that someone else would care enough to say something. Sadly it doesn't happen. 

I know that ultimately  I'm the one that needs to be responsible for myself. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

And on a side note - don’t you loooove the non-diabetics in your life who don’t know s*** about diabetes, but watch every.single.thing you put in your mouth, with a running commentary about why “as a diabetic” you shouldn’t be eating it and what’s wrong with you, how can you not know that, “everyone” does.

Loved when one co-worker did this every day after lunch. Then I would test and my 2 hr PP BG would be 130-140. Of course, the ickiness of testing, the whole needing to test and actually doing it was too nitty-gritty, too “ooh yuck” and was NOT her thing. She didn’t care about reality, only demonstrating her superior knowledge - when she didn’t know diddly.

I understand why this would be annoying. I wish some days that someone would question me/hold me accountable for what I'm eating as I make some really bad choices. I wish that on days that I don't care enough about myself that someone else would care enough to say something. Sadly it doesn't happen. 

@akaburtonfan....be thankful you are not dealing with the Diabetes Police. They can make your life pretty difficult. I had a relative who used to jump down my throat everytime I wanted anything that had fat in it. She cooked for her diabetic spouse and sadly he passed away at the age of 47. The poor guy lived on high carbohydrate food and he ended up dying prematurely. He lost his legs....well his kidneys shut down on his second transplant. He suffered from neuropathy too.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

The difference is, someone who considers themselves entitled to chastise you regarding something they know zero about, and someone who knows you, knows your usual diet, your numbers, and might gently remind you that maybe you should skip that today.

Yes, we know what we need to be careful about eating. And we know what we should and should not make a habit of eating. That’s up to each of us.

But to be told that you’re “oooohhhh baaaad!” for eating something that you know won’t affect you inordinately, by someone who hasn’t a clue and whose motive probably isn’t so much to “help” you as to chastise you - very annoying.

Honored Contributor

It is indeed. Some people might be in need of sugar because their blood sugar is low

Honored Contributor

wrote:

It is indeed. Some people might be in need of sugar because their blood sugar is low

“Common wisdom/sense” (which is neither, it’s just ignorant opinion) about diabetes is what most people spout who don’t have, and don’t know anyone who has, diabetes. 

Others do not know how often you eat something they see you eating. The common assumption is that those with diabetes clearly need to be physically restrained from shoveling sugar down their throats 24/7 because that’s (of course, common wisdom) what they all do - “everyone knows that.”

You may see me eat a burger with extras & some fries, or a milkshake, or a corn dog; I eat those things. But I don’t eat them every day or even every week or every month - they are rarities. You may see me eating a sandwich and not know that it’s low carb, high fiber bread. You may see me with fries and not notice that I ate only six, or a tablespoonful of potato salad. Almost anything eaten in a proper portion for a diabetic can be eaten by diabetics. 

People tend to think fat, glorious omelets are horrendous. Eggs have no carbs, meat has no carbs, cheese has no carbs, veggies have fiber & few complex carbs. An omelet is an “I can eat and not feel at all guilty” thing for me.