Honored Contributor

Re: New study on Juice for diabetics

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Trinity11Unsweetened orange juice has always worked in minutes for me when my sugar levels have dropped and I need help. I always carry OJ with me to prevent trouble.

@BirkiLady...I love OJ. It is very quick acting. I find candy like chocolate much slower because the fat slows it down from acting quickly. 

Esteemed Contributor

Seems I'm either shopping or driving when my sugars drop. No one around to help! Grab the unsweeted OJ and I'm good to go. At least able to get home where I know I'm safe and not going to cause harm to anyone else. When it first began to happen, the grocery store charged me for the OJ and it took them forever to find it. Learned years ago to always have some in my purse and car just in case. I buy a case of the unsweetened OJ that doesn't require refrigeration. Works great, but it difficult to find. Think my son has found it at Sam's. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I have never been seriously about-to-pass-out low.  Occasionally I will want to leave my house and go out and about, without eating first but eating later rather than sooner.  If I forget and don’t drink some yogurt or a handful of something, I try to have either one of these in my purse or in my car if I start to feel low. Simple for me and I don’t have to deal with keeping something cold or spoilage.  

If I only want to stabilize my BG I’ll use 1-2 tablets. If I feel definitely low (for me) I’ll drink the bottle (15 mg carbs).

FFA52988-8B2E-454E-AA6D-ED50D6BF102F.jpeg

52487EDB-09F3-4EAC-925C-7EC470E95912.jpeg

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Hey where were all you people when I said there was a lot of sugar in that there tuna salad?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

My blood sugar has only dropped a couple of times and I got shaky and felt sick. This was pre stomach troubles ,so we were at a restaurant ,and I had them bring me a reg coke. It immediately stopped and I felt better

My neighbor  is very athletic and slim, and his drops all the time, and he gets shaky. He is on less metformin than I am, but I think I am more fortunate than he is.  I seem to be more stable ,as far as dips and spikes than he is.

Honored Contributor

LOL @cherry - bought some grapefruit juice today to finish off a little bit of vodka I’d forgotten I had. Perfect!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
The thing about this article that bothers me is are they discussing avoiding developing Type 2 diabetes, or is this something that those already diagnosed should abide by? This is the sentence that gave me pause. "The findings are consistent with previous research indicating that 100% fruit juice is not associated with an increased risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes."
~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft  I think it's both. At the end of the article it says it can be a  fruit choice  for a diabetic.  If you click on the line  highlighted in blue it takes you to a previous article that contradicts this one

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:
The thing about this article that bothers me is are they discussing avoiding developing Type 2 diabetes, or is this something that those already diagnosed should abide by? This is the sentence that gave me pause. "The findings are consistent with previous research indicating that 100% fruit juice is not associated with an increased risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes."

This study aside, almost every study I see mentioned these days that includes the phrase “type 2 diabetes” does so in relation to “increased risk”, “leads to”, “might contribute to”, etc.  Just about anything and everything these days “might lead to” T2 diabetes, even your laundry soap (exaggeration, but it’s almost that bad). In all of these, I’ve never seen info about the effect whatever it is has on people who HAVE T2 already.

Since I do have T2, guess it’s “too late.” 👹😜

Honored Contributor

In the beginning, about ten years ago my BS dropped to 36!  I was trying like heck to get it up since I started feeling sick at around 70.  Was close to calling an ambulance.  The problem is/was that every time I ate something suggested to raise it, I threw it up because I felt so sick and it would drop dramatically again, eat, throw up.... big drop!!  You're told "Oh, just eat something" but may of us can't swallow it.  I can't swallow Glucose Tablets or get the Glucose "shot" down.

I finally drank about 8 oz of non-fat milk, got it down and my BS started going up again.  Fruit Juices will do that too but they often feel "too sweet" for me and I have trouble swallowing them when I feel so sick!  Regular fruit will raise blood sugars too, but the fiber in the fruit helps negate sugar spikes and having one apple is far less than having a concentrated glass of 10 oz of apple juice.  That's why pure fruit juices (without any added sugars) will spike BS...  I don't know what to say about this "new" study.... all I can say is that drinking pure fruit juice would not be a good idea for me.

BTW, I NEVER EVER want to feel that sick again!!       

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*