Honored Contributor

Re: New study on Juice for diabetics

@Trinity11, I don’t recommend the way it’s happened to me, but my (hopefully lasting) legacy of physical issues gone through over the last year and a half has actually rid me of my sugar cravings.

Before, if I ate something I had a craving for it might be every day or every other day, consume til it’s gone. Now I still enjoy eating cookies, donuts, cake, etc, and I still eat them, but I no longer crave them, and don’t “need” them.

Many years ago, pre-diagnosis, I weaned myself from sugar. But the minute I ate a single cookie, the craving was back in full force. Not this time. No craving!  I can’t explain why, since I did it before with very different results. Whatever the reason, I’m rollin’ with it ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Just about anything can affect your sugar levels.  My morning reading's are high since my  stomach started giving me trouble, but my A1C is always normal

The Dr thinks my readings are high because of my stomach and the fact it wakes me up and I have to take meds to get it to calm down to go back to sleep. She says my liver is dumping sugar. This morning I was at 118 which is getting better, I was in the 130's. My morning sugar is higher than it was before I went to bed. I don't eat past  4 pm...

@cherry, have you had the dawn effect discussion with your doctor?  Many people are able to lower their BG-on-arising by eating a low carb snack just before/at bedtime.  I sometimes go from 8-9 pm to 3 pm the next day without eating, and my BG will still be in the 120s or even 30s. They say that not eating will not necessarily mean lower BG, and I’ve proved that for myself (never believed it before). It’s one reason they suggest mini-meals to diabetics.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  my Dr knows it...with my stomach issues I really can't eat ,and then go back to bed ,or eat before bedtime

It makes my gerd worse..getting old isn't for sissies  Woman Frustrated

Regular Contributor

Sorry, but one mystery study from India that might not even have said that, wouldn't be enough for me to veer from my ADA diet.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Moonchilde  yes the food police who know exactly what we should eat. You better never allow yourself a cookie in their book

I am going to get a  Napoleon for my birthday and eat it all.  It is  a once in a while treat and my Dr is  fine with it.  I wouldn't do it every week or even every month, but it will be my birthday cake

I want to get our waitresses a box of candy for Valentines Day, to share. Even if one of they might b a diabetic ,I am sure they can handle a once in a while treat

@cherry, IMO often the diabetics who are paranoid about every bite (without needing to be) have miserable, deprived lives unnecessarily, by restrictions they place upon themselves. I saw it in living color on the diabetes forums - people who bragged about eating 12 carbs a DAY total and then wondering why they had pimples, no energy, screwed up GI tracts and kwappy immune systems.  Duhhhhh......

I’m speaking mostly about T2s who just go gung-ho as sharply in the other direction as possible...to no really beneficial result except maybe they can feel more righteous? 

Regular Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Yup, I use juice as a quick pick me up when my bs is very low. 

That is something entirely different.  It's not what's being discussed here.  You drink fruit juice when your body needs that quick dose of sugar.  

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I'm sure you get beautiful citrus fruit. Do you make your own?  If I was a drinker I would love that

With my grouchy stomach I can't even handle a coke with caffeine.. @Moonchilde

Soooo refreshing and thirst-quenching on a warm day!  No, I don’t make my own because I don’t want to keep grapefruit juice around to drink frequently; it’s a once in a while treat. But I could so easily get on a kick...!

Trusted Contributor

Hello cherry. You are so right, just about anything can affect the blood glucose level.  I too have struggled  with normal pm blood sugars followed by high am blood sugar. I feel for you. I hope they can do something to help with your stomach issues. It is good you are able to keep your a1c at a normal level, means you are doing a lot of the right things. 

Have they done any tests for your stomach issues or medications, protonix has helped me quite a bit.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@webbgarner1  yes I have seen a gastro and been scoped.  I have been taking  prilosec for about a year ,along with zantac ,and dlg licorice tablets ,and tums.

MY Dr.s nurse mentioned she didn't get relief for prilosec and was using  Nexium, so I went out and bought some.  I can tell a difference after  5 days, so I am optimistic about it giving me  the relief I need

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11Unsweetened orange juice has always worked in minutes for me when my sugar levels have dropped and I need help. I always carry OJ with me to prevent trouble.

Money screams; wealth whispers.