Honored Contributor

Re: New study on Juice for diabetics

@Trinity11  The ADA website was sort of neutral. It said to watch portions, and said a small glass has  carbs , but didn't say not to use it

The Diabetes website from the UK says, it's a no no ,and tells people to avoid it.

It isn't easy to be diabetic is it?

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/juice-and-diabetes.html

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Trinity11  The ADA website was sort of neutral. It said to watch portions, and said a small glass has  carbs , but didn't say not to use it

The Diabetes website from the UK says, it's a no no ,and tells people to avoid it.

@cherry.....just about anything can be proved if the researcher sets out to do so. I have seen so many studies over the years where when I found the source of the funding, it was inevitable that they would find the substance to be fine. Cranberry juice was one such study. Turned out that Ocean Spray paid for the study.

I have grown weary of a lot of the latest studies only to find them disproved 6 months later.

Trusted Contributor

@cherryBeing a type 1 diabetic for 50 ( yes fifty) years now, I can tell you that any  fruit juice or any fruit will dramatically raise my blood sugar. Hence that is why for many years orange juice was used to treat a low blood sugar. , packed with carbs  For instance if have a blood sugar of 80 to 100 and eat 1 medium size fresh peach, if i do not bolus my insulin carefully my blood sugar will go to 300 to 350. 

Some articles speak of diabetics as if they are one in the same, there are a lot of differences between type 1 and 2. Also some diabetics find that some carb foods effect there blood sugar more so than others. 

I would say to all diabetics check your blood sugar carefully, do not take this article for truth, go by your blood sugar readings and the advice of your physician or registered dietician. Take care everyone.

Honored Contributor

Yup, I use juice as a quick pick me up when my bs is very low. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Oh, how I wish this were true (but don’t believe that it is), because I used to love to go to Jamba Juice, or have one of the bottled juices sold at the grocery stores, or a smoothie, but just reading the carbs on the labels tells you what you need to know.  That’s too many carbs - 50-60-75 grams for a normal-sized serving. 

I would feel that I could drink 8 oz of many juices without doing horrendous damage to my BG, but I don’t want to limit myself to 8 oz, that’s like tease & torture.  I crave fruit juice when I’m sick with a cold and don’t even want to eat. In my situation (normally good control, healthy A1C), I will go ahead and drink the bloody bottle, feeling that in that situation the good outweighs the bad.

And maybe it’s just me, but I’d tend to doubt the overall believability of a study done in a Third World country where all protocols (or no protocols) may not have been followed, in a country where folk medicine is extremely common and they also have a concurrent medical system of their own that has nothing to do with Western medicine (ayurveda).

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I would also challenge this.    In fact, I did many times when 'juicing' was all the rage.

They keep the juice, which is little more than sugar, and toss the rest of the fruit that houses the fiber and most of the nutrients.

It never made sense to me.   If you're diabetic, and granted I don't know all the facts because I'm not diabetic, the sugar part of the fruit is probably the very last part one should consume.  Granted, as already stated, some fruits have a lot more sugar than others.  But the ones that are being juiced are probably the ones with the most sugar.  

I'm on the 'just eat the fruit' team.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@webbgarner1 wrote:

@cherryBeing a type 1 diabetic for 50 ( yes fifty) years now, I can tell you that any  fruit juice or any fruit will dramatically raise my blood sugar. Hence that is why for many years orange juice was used to treat a low blood sugar. , packed with carbs  For instance if have a blood sugar of 80 to 100 and eat 1 medium size fresh peach, if i do not bolus my insulin carefully my blood sugar will go to 300 to 350. 

Some articles speak of diabetics as if they are one in the same, there are a lot of differences between type 1 and 2. Also some diabetics find that some carb foods effect there blood sugar more so than others. 

I would say to all diabetics check your blood sugar carefully, do not take this article for truth, go by your blood sugar readings and the advice of your physician or registered dietician. Take care everyone.

@webbgarner1.....I noticed you said fifty years!! I am short a few years of fifty but it has been quite the ride. How are you doing? If that question is too personal, please ignore. However, it has been rare for me to meet someone like myself with Type 1 to talk to. My BIL had diabetes but sadly passed in his 40's.

I agree about the peach. I would have the same reaction.

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 Hello there. Yes getting to the 50 year mark is quite a milestone considering probably where you and I both have been on this journey. I am proud of the advances made in the treatment of diabetes in the last decade or so, they have come a long way. But if you will living with diabetes as a juvenile in the 1960's and 70's as I was, there were no glucometers for home use, no insulin pumps etc. I am on a pump now and bs are overall fairly well but i still have those times when blood sugars are out of control for no apparent reason. 

I had open heart surgery for a blockage in 2002, and have since had 3 stents. Heart issues have been the biggest  set back for me, a lot of chest pain and shortness of breath on very lille activity.

I thank you so much for asking. I hope you are doing well. The response i get from a lot of my doctors when they find out it has been 50 years for me is wow, all things considered you are doing good. 

It is good to know there are people like you out there that are willing to support eachother with these type of issues.

I think I saw maybe on an old post maybe you are on a pump as well. I can remeber something from around thanksgiving. Forgive me if I am wrong.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@cherry.....just about anything can be proved if the researcher sets out to do so. I have seen so many studies over the years where when I found the source of the funding, it was inevitable that they would find the substance to be fine. Cranberry juice was one such study. Turned out that Ocean Spray paid for the study.

I have grown weary of a lot of the latest studies only to find them disproved 6 months later.

I tend to pay little/no attention to food/diet/nutrition “studies” in general, not just those that are diabetes-specific. First of all, what constitutes a legitimate study in one country may not be considered so in another country. Then, what is the patient population? I’m not sure that a study done, say, in Germany or France (to pick two random  Western European countries) would accurately reflect the US population simply because there are variables in diet from birth, lifestyle, exercise and genetics. It might be somewhat of an apples-to-oranges thing.

I’m not a fad, “this really will change your life! (And you’re an idiot if you don’t run right out and do it)” diet person. I’ve seen too many of them come and go to bother.

Human beings need a balanced diet that includes all food groups; there should be nothing a diabetic literally can’t ever eat, period. This is a fallacy that most non-diabetics simplify in their heads to “diabetics can never ever eat any sugar for the rest of their lives.”

How often one eats unrefined carbs, however, and how much in quantity, is the key. And no lay person who isn’t diabetic will ever convince me otherwise.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I hope with the finding of the diabetic gene in our lifetime they will have a cure of at least better ways of treating us

I might have known it was too good to be true. But with my stomach problems it is too much acid for me anyhoo

I thought I could eat grapefruit and even told a poster that, and wouldn't you know a few days later I paid for it....but the Nexium seems to be helping a lot