Honored Contributor

New study on Juice for diabetics

[ Edited ]

This came from India, and I can't find any mention of it ,on diabetic websites. It might be too soon ,or the don't trust the study

It was found that  juice doesn't spike your blood sugar  ,according to the results of studies in India. It can be used as a fruit in your daily diet.  So ,you might be able to have a morning glass of juice without worry.

Honored Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: New study on Juice for diabetics

So I'd guess that would be pure juice with no additional sugar added?

Still, it would probably be better to simply eat the fruit and get the fiber and other nutrients as well as the juice.

But for juice lovers, I guess this is good news.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

This came from India, and I can find any mention of it ,on diabetic websites. It might be too soon ,or the don't trust the study

It was found that  juice doesn't spike your blood sugar  ,according to the results of studies in India. It can be used as a fruit in your daily diet.  So ,you might be able to have a morning glass of juice without worry.

@cherry  I’d think it depends on the type of fruit. Some are higher in sugar than others. I always “cut” my juice w/ water anyway. Don’t like things too sweet tasting.

Respected Contributor

I would never drink the juice. I would eat the whole fruit, you can't go wrong with that. 

Honored Contributor

Some parents might have problems getting children to eat fruit. It does mention various fruits that are ok..apple.. grape...citrus

Honored Contributor

If juice does not raise blood sugar, than why is it recommended when a diabetic has low blood sugar? I can go from 50 to 100 in 10 minutes when I have a low from insulin. Same with fruit just eaten after a meal...I need extra insulin when I eat it.

I suggest every diabetic test with their glucometer and their blood sugar will go up after an orange, apple, grapes etc..

Respected Contributor

I never drink juice because it's just too sweet and I don't like that.  But I saw some carrot juice and bought it.  There is no sugar added and it tastes great.  But there is no fiber.  I am planning to puree carrots in my vitamix and add some liquid to make it drinkable whenever I am craving some carrots.

Honored Contributor

I don't know @Trinity11  and I can't find any mention of it anywhere else

I know my friend who is a nurse ,always adds sugar to her juice when her blood sugar dips..she says it works better

If it's  true, it is nice that people have another food choice.  India has a lot of diabetics  so it might be true, but there is nothing on the ADA website about it

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I don't know @Trinity11  and I can't find any mention of it anywhere else

I know my friend who is a nurse ,always adds sugar to her juice when her blood sugar dips..she says it works better

If it's  true, it is nice that people have another food choice.  India has a lot of diabetics  so it might be true, but there is nothing on the ADA website about it

@cherry.....it isn't on the ADA website because it is not true. Juice always raises blood sugar, even in non-diabetics.. Orange juice has been a lifesaver for me many a time when I precipitously drop. Of course, I would rather eat candy. LOL Juice is just a healthier alternative.

A good experiment to show how bogus this "study" is....have a glass of orange juice and wait an hour. Test your blood sugar. I highly doubt your blood sugar will be the same as your baseline.