Honored Contributor

Re: New study and test in detecting heart health

[ Edited ]

@Jaspersmom wrote:

The picture is misleading.  I panicked when I saw it because mine did exactly what I saw in the pic.  Then I went back an read it again.  ANYWAY, keep your palm FLAT and then try to extend your thumb.  IF it goes PAST your palm (not on it), then you MIGHT have something to worry about.  Best piece of advice is if you have any concerns about your heart health, see your DOCTOR.

Same! Then I realized I was curving my hand.

ETA: Try doing it while looking at the back of your hand to make sure it is completely spread out and flat. Then turn it over to look at your thumb. When I do it like that I don't even get close.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Also, piano players are used to thumb under the hand moves.  

I never buy stuff like this.  Remember when if there was a crease in your earlobe you'll die a week-of Sunday, and something about if your earlobes hang free or attached.  

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Primary cause of my CAD? Did not get to pick my mother.

john(hckynut)

@hckynut 

Good to see you John, Best to you, Cindy, and the Kitties 🐱 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

This is also one of the tests for Ehlers  Danlos.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Also, piano players are used to thumb under the hand moves.  

I never buy stuff like this.  Remember when if there was a crease in your earlobe you'll die a week-of Sunday, and something about if your earlobes hang free or attached.  

@Sooner 

Agreed.

Next there will be a "study" that says if you can curl your tongue, wrinkle your nose, wink, make a fish face, that you will have heart disease. 

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

This statement, from news.yale.edu, was not included in the article posted:

"For at least the past two decades, Elefteriades said, he and his colleagues have included the thumb-palm test in lectures to medical students and used the test for patients who might be at risk of carrying an aneurysm.

Yet despite its frequent usage, the test’s accuracy had not been evaluated in a clinical setting, the researchers said."

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ridiculous to believe, from an article, that the dexterity of your thumb shows the function of your heart.

"Pure Michigan"