Honored Contributor

Re: New study. Pfizer COVID vaccine may be less effective in obese people.

[ Edited ]

@Flatbush wrote:

I don't think I want to hear this since I've just received my second shot  : (

@Flatbush @I finished by second shot and I'm obese. I felt the same way when I read the study.  We might need a booster. All of the participants except one healthy weight individual did mount an immune response. In the obese, in men, and in the older participants, the response was lower than in women, healthy weight persons and the younger participants. At least there was an immune response in terms of antibody production. This was measured at seven days after the second dose. Perhaps, if measured a few weeks out, the response could differ. 

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Well that's a shame.  I know of at least one person - in her 50's who got the vaccine due to diabetes and obesity - and she  got Pfizer.

@Isobel Archer , well of course this type of stuff is going to come out now.  I suspect this won't be the last type of new study we will hear about that won't be favorable to the vaccines.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

Obesity has numerous negative effects upon the body. Persons who have been unsuccessful in losing weight conventionally will often pursue bariatric surgery. The benefits of surgery include increasing life expectancy by up to 89% and improving high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma and many others.

@chessylady 

I have personal knowledge of Bariatric Surgery(Roux-en-Y) as my wife had this done in 2008. 

This is a "tool" to help obese individuals, it is not, in and of itself a path to being healthy, long term, unless the surgical patient follows a prudent way of eating and exercise.

The life expectancy improved by 89%? First the percentage of Roux-en-Y patients successful, long term has to be factored in. I am aware of the other invasive procedures to reduce stomach size, and Roux-en-Y is the most successful for most.

This type of surgery is the most effective during the first 12 months post surgery. From there, a patient has lost the biggest share of their weigh, and must realize that now weighing less, without even more effort to change, weight loss slows way down and if not diligence, begins to go up.

Happy to say that my wife, now 13 years out, used her Roux-en-Y surgery, to it's full advantage. Not by returning to her presurgical way of life, but by changing her whole lifestyle. 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D , same here.  I just followed the Pfizer page on fb to keep up with this issue.  I was bummed to read it, but it makes complete sense.  I'm sure you will post if you see anything about the booster, etc so thank you in advance for the info.