Honored Contributor

Re: New, non-invasive colon test

On 11/5/2014 woodyend said:

FYI from FDA.

FDA approves first non-invasive DNA screening test for colorectal cancer Collaboration with CMS contributed to proposed Medicare coverage.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm409021.htm

In part.

The safety and effectiveness of Cologuard was established in a clinical trial that screened 10,023 subjects.

The trial compared the performance of Cologuard to the fecal immunochemical test (FIT), a commonly used non-invasive screening test that detects blood in the stool.

Cologuard accurately detected cancers and advanced adenomas more often than the FIT test. Cologuard detected 92 percent of colorectal cancers and 42 percent of advanced adenomas in the study population, while the FIT screening test detected 74 percent of cancers and 24 percent of advanced adenomas.

Cologuard was less accurate than FIT at correctly identifying subjects negative for colorectal cancer or advanced adenomas. Cologuard correctly gave a negative screening result for 87 percent of the study subjects, while FIT provided accurate negative screening results for 95 percent of the study population.

I'm sorry, but 92% for me is not good enough. I'll stick with the test that is much closer to 100% when the procedure is completed and done with this protocol. These procedures to me would be "A Colonoscopy or a more complex procedure called a Double Balloon Enteroscopy".

Percentages don't mean much when it comes to preventable cancers to people like myself. I've seen way too many friends and acquaintances suffer way too much, and some died because of things directly connected to colon and prostate cancer. These are 2 of the most easily prevented forms of cancer, IF? The person takes the time to have these tests done before it might be too late.

hckynut(john)
Contributor

You Don,t really need to have any anesthesia for this procedure..it really only to help you relax..your fear is really unfounded.. I have had 3 and they are no big deal..the worse part is the night before making sure your colon is totally clean..great way to lose a few pounds..lol..
On 11/4/2014 blondegirl said: Thanks - I have bad reactions to anesthesia so won't get a colonoscopy. Having said that, if it shows something you are going to have to have one anyhow which makes this of limited use for many folks. That's why the virtual one is not a big hit I think, cost aside.
Esteemed Contributor

Anything non-invasive sounds good to me!

Super Contributor

I did a test similar to this last year when I refused a colonoscopy, it was very easy. I think it looks for blood in your stool. I didn't even realize it might be the same thing until I went to the website and looked at it.
Honored Contributor

On 11/6/2014 luvthatboxer said: I did a test similar to this last year when I refused a colonoscopy, it was very easy. I think it looks for blood in your stool. I didn't even realize it might be the same thing until I went to the website and looked at it.

It is not the same thing - a fecal blood test only looks for blood in the stool - the cologuard test looks at DNA in the stool specific to cancer cells.

Honored Contributor

IMO - if the Mayo clinic says it is good enough - then it is good enough.

Super Contributor

Colonoscopy is still the "gold standard" for detecting disease. Like mammograms, the test is uncomfortable (the prep, not the procedure). The alternative, not being tested, can be even more uncomfortable. One can pay a very high price for living in blissful ignorance.

Cologuard is another tool for early detection. There's a 13% chance of false positive results. Any positive would require colonoscopy. Why not just have the procedure and avoid needless worry? What's the price for peace of mind?

Check info on Cologuard not put out by the manufacturer, ie NY Times.

Honored Contributor

So if the test comes back showing something, you're still going to need a colonoscopy?

I would just get it all over with at once...

Honored Contributor

Sorry--don't accept the fixed income excuse for not getting this test---can you afford the funeral costs instead? And I've never had to stop eating for 35 hours!! Had to revise my diet the week prior but I was getting an endoscopy AND a colonoscopy at the same time. So I couldn't eat for maybe 24 hours before. I go in to see my gastro dr in 2 weeks to schedule my colon reaming and will have it a week later. I don't have any history of colon problems so not sure why it takes 5 months to get one for some. So many excuses I've read here------it's no big deal and believe me----this is a tiny, minute thing compared to cancer. Of course there may be some issues with the anesthetic but you talk about that with your dr and make sure you go somewhere that does this thing all the time like a hospital. I learned that you need to check everything out and ask tons of questions. I am a 2 year breast cancer THRIVER (survivor) and know first hand about making sure I get the needed tests every year. Just do it!!!!!

Regular Contributor

On 11/6/2014 wagirl said:

Sorry--don't accept the fixed income excuse for not getting this test---can you afford the funeral costs instead? And I've never had to stop eating for 35 hours!! Had to revise my diet the week prior but I was getting an endoscopy AND a colonoscopy at the same time. So I couldn't eat for maybe 24 hours before. I go in to see my gastro dr in 2 weeks to schedule my colon reaming and will have it a week later. I don't have any history of colon problems so not sure why it takes 5 months to get one for some. So many excuses I've read here------it's no big deal and believe me----this is a tiny, minute thing compared to cancer. Of course there may be some issues with the anesthetic but you talk about that with your dr and make sure you go somewhere that does this thing all the time like a hospital. I learned that you need to check everything out and ask tons of questions. I am a 2 year breast cancer THRIVER (survivor) and know first hand about making sure I get the needed tests every year. Just do it!!!!!

A friend of mine, in her late 40's (before the recommended colonoscopy age of 50) had symptoms she ignored for a while....long story short, she had colon cancer.....fought mightily for 5 years (enduring even experimental treatments after traditional options did not work) and she is gone. GONE......go get one or the other of these treatments BEFORE you have symptoms or a real concern. I understand all the issues BUT if you put it off, your life, a treasure that you cannot replace, might be cut short....too short!!!