Honored Contributor

Re: New, non-invasive colon test

On 11/5/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:
On 11/5/2014 dsky said:

I am 54 years old and every year my primary doctor would hand me the prescription for a colonoscopy and I would ignore it. This year I decided I would get one having a couple of symptoms that started to worry me, plus I am always a bit low in iron. Anyway for me when I start to worry more than the fear of knowing, well then it's time to do something. Anyway I did it in late October and except for not eating for 35 hours it wasn't bad at all. I used the Prepopik for the prep and it was fine, no stomach ache, just a gentle flow, if you will. I had two very small polyps removed that were not pre cancerous and have to go back in seven years. I learned alot about myself during the fasting, like I really don't have to nibble all day, I won't pass out from no food, in fact as I was fasting I steam cleaned my rugs and felt more energized and clear headed. You know it made me realize that food really effects everything, including brain function. I was very scared to get this test as I know what can go wrong as I research way too much, however I thought that it was important information to have in order to stay ahead of any problems. I am hoping that there will be better ways of knowing your colon health and this is promising news.

You're not allowed to eat for 35 hours ?????? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Yikes!!!!

Yikes, again, glad my doc sees things differently.

Honored Contributor

Anyone know if there is any type of prep for this new test, thanks.

Super Contributor

thanks for sharing this wonderful information..

Respected Contributor

On 11/5/2014 Shelbelle said:

Anyone know if there is any type of prep for this new test, thanks.

Check out their website at cologuardtest.com. They have directions for how to get the sample, but it doesn't look like there's a prep. But then I didn't read every line of that section.

The only reason for the prep on a colonoscopy is so the scope can go where it needs to & there's an unobstructed view - sorry, that's the most discreet way I can think of to say it.

Super Contributor

On 11/4/2014 blondegirl said: Thanks - I have bad reactions to anesthesia so won't get a colonoscopy. Having said that, if it shows something you are going to have to have one anyhow which makes this of limited use for many folks. That's why the virtual one is not a big hit I think, cost aside.

The other issue with Cologuard is that there are false positives with this test, which would also then necessitate a regular colonoscopy. Imagine getting a false positive then worrying until your colonoscopy about having cancer, then going through the colonoscopy anyhow only to find out you don't have cancer after all? I think it would freak me out if I got a false positive. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Esteemed Contributor

This is really interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

On 11/5/2014 Shelbelle said:
On 11/5/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:
On 11/5/2014 dsky said:

I am 54 years old and every year my primary doctor would hand me the prescription for a colonoscopy and I would ignore it. This year I decided I would get one having a couple of symptoms that started to worry me, plus I am always a bit low in iron. Anyway for me when I start to worry more than the fear of knowing, well then it's time to do something. Anyway I did it in late October and except for not eating for 35 hours it wasn't bad at all. I used the Prepopik for the prep and it was fine, no stomach ache, just a gentle flow, if you will. I had two very small polyps removed that were not pre cancerous and have to go back in seven years. I learned alot about myself during the fasting, like I really don't have to nibble all day, I won't pass out from no food, in fact as I was fasting I steam cleaned my rugs and felt more energized and clear headed. You know it made me realize that food really effects everything, including brain function. I was very scared to get this test as I know what can go wrong as I research way too much, however I thought that it was important information to have in order to stay ahead of any problems. I am hoping that there will be better ways of knowing your colon health and this is promising news.

You're not allowed to eat for 35 hours ?????? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Yikes!!!!

Yikes, again, glad my doc sees things differently.

...no food for 35 hours???? That's very unusual.

Respected Contributor

On 11/4/2014 blondegirl said: Thanks - I have bad reactions to anesthesia so won't get a colonoscopy. Having said that, if it shows something you are going to have to have one anyhow which makes this of limited use for many folks. That's why the virtual one is not a big hit I think, cost aside.

Another great excuse, probably better than others. What do you plan to do if you need surgery suddenly like a ruptured appendix? Ar BC, or a lot of colon bleeding?

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

On 11/4/2014 F1wild said:

From Mayo Clinic:

Earlier this year, we were excited to announce that a Mayo Clinic clinical trial showed a new, non-invasive colon cancer test to be highly effective at detecting colon cancer at its most treatable stage.

Today, I wanted to share even more good news with you: this new test, called Cologuard, is now available by prescription to patients 50 and over who are at average risk for colorectal cancer, and Mayo Clinic was first to offer it.

This breakthrough represents peace of mind for patients. Colon cancer is highly treatable when caught early, but because so many patients avoid the uncomfortable colonoscopy screening process, this preventable disease is still one of the deadliest cancers.

By offering a non-invasive test that can be done in the privacy of the home, Cologuard is expected to move more patients to get screened earlier, potentially saving thousands of lives. Mayo Clinic is also working to expand the number of cancers that can be screened with this method.

The news release below has more information about this test and research going on at Mayo Clinic — research made possible with the support of people like you.

If you have questions about Cologaurd please contact your primary care physician or visit cologuardtest.com.

While I am all for new ways of detecting killer cancers, I don't agree with the above "bolded and underlined" statement. As one that has had more than most anyone when it comes to things stuck in a certain area of my anatomy, it was/is not what I consider to be the least uncomfortable to most. Unless, like 3 of my procedures that were done sans any anesthesia, being uncomfortable never entered my mind.

For now I will stick with the tried and proven way of detecting colon cancer and that will be until this is pretty much the most common procedure being used to detect this while in its early stages.

Appreciate you informing us on this forum about this.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

I haven't had a colonoscopy yet but will in Jan. when I have my yearly exam.

My mom started drinking the formula they give you at 1:00 on Sunday and had the test the next morning at 9:00. Of course she couldn't eat anything during or after. She said it wasn't that bad. I have always heard the prep was worse than the actual test. Guess I will be finding out soon enough!