Super Contributor

I have been taking Nexium for some time now and my old insurance was never a problem.  New insurance from work will not honor Nexium anymore... If I want to pay out of pocket the price is $638.99 a month.  When I called my insurance about this I was told to take it over the counter... The pharmacist was not happy with that answer and told me to check out some places because of the prices...So much for the insurance...

Honored Contributor

I had the same issue with Allegra when it went OTC.

My drug plan has a pricing tool so I was able to price some of my medications for my face and found Costco to be the cheapest.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Nexium has been OTC for several years.  Seems like the dose there is 20mg and a box is about $25 and lasts more than a month at one a day.  Store brands are less.  Might want to check again on pricing.

Respected Contributor

@hondagirl wrote:

I have been taking Nexium for some time now and my old insurance was never a problem.  New insurance from work will not honor Nexium anymore... If I want to pay out of pocket the price is $638.99 a month.  When I called my insurance about this I was told to take it over the counter... The pharmacist was not happy with that answer and told me to check out some places because of the prices...So much for the insurance...

From what I understand, OTC Nexium is mostly for heartburn and prescription Nexium is for acid related problems such as acid reflux.  I could be wrong and you should always double check and talk to your physician.  Have you ever asked your physician if there is a generic or a different medication that it can be changed to?  That happened with my doctors inhalers.  When we changed insurance, it was not on the formulary but that did change (because insurance companies formularies change all the time) and her inhalers eventually were covered.  But in the meantime we had to switch to what was covered.  You can also try prescription apps:  RxSavers, Good RX, etc.  Another possibility is to contact Nexium directly, just about all these companies have programs to help with cost.  I wold definitely contact your physician and explain your circumstance, he/she may be able to change to something else or may say OTC is okay or maybe prescribe generic.  What ever you do, always consult with your physician.

Honored Contributor

Re: New insurance 7/1/2020

[ Edited ]

@hondagirl 

Go to goodrx.com to enter your info to see prices. They show a 20 or 40 mg.

The 40 mg for 90 pills at Wal-Mart around $40 for generic.

My Ins quit paying for NP Thyroid so I use a goodrx coupon. I pay $78 for 90 day supply but it's really more like 3 1/2 month supply since for some reason they give me more pills.

Honored Contributor

@hondagirl wrote:

@hondagirl, can you take the OTC Nexium? I had the same trouble. I went to an Ear, nose, and throat doctor back in April. He said I had acid reflux and gave me a prescription for a 40mg Prilosec. Well, my insurance company refused to pay for it, they wanted me to take the OTC dosage that is 20mg (so they weren't willing to pay at all). I went to GoodRX, got a coupon and paid for the prescription myself.

Honored Contributor

@hondagirl 

You can call your MD and ask him to write the insurance company and appeal it for you. May work, may not.

Good luck.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

Call Costco and get a price (as another mentioned)..They are advertised as the cheapest for prescriptions.. That's where I get my prescriptions.