Honored Contributor

Re: New concern about Lessman's CholestaCare

@1Professor 

Most of the water-soluble supps taken in excess get excreted so those would probably be best taken in smaller doses throughout the day. Fat-soluble supps get processed and stored in the liver or fat cells and then used as the body needs them. Fat-soluble supps have a reservoir effect where once the stores are filled then the some goes out in waste but some keep collecting in the liver for example vitamin D and that can become toxic.  Those types of supps are usually okay taken all at once with food to help them absorb.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@1Professor 

Most of the water-soluble supps taken in excess get excreted so those would probably be best taken in smaller doses throughout the day. Fat-soluble supps get processed and stored in the liver or fat cells and then used as the body needs them. Fat-soluble supps have a reservoir effect where once the stores are filled then the some goes out in waste but some keep collecting in the liver for example vitamin D and that can become toxic.  Those types of supps are usually okay taken all at once with food to help them absorb.

@SilleeMee  So useful, for long-term thinking about supplements. Gratitude.

So, it looks like most of my supps are fat-soluble (coQ10, OMega 3, lutein, zeaxanthin, Garlique (both)),

with biotin (take 2) water soluble, best spread out.

Magnesium supp is water-soluble but I only take 1 a day.

Lots of learning here.

So many of us are taking multiple supplements. No longer our childhood one-day-vitamins.

So important to educate ourselves.

+ as we age, we are more likely to be taking MORE supplements.

*** My personal experience with very friendly docs at a major health care org is that they do not wish to or are not supposed to discuss supplements. They want to know if you are taking them, but do not offer recommendations.

Honored Contributor

I take a lot of supp, some for heart, bp, some for hair, skin and nails, some for my arthritic knee. I take some early morning, some before lunch, some before dinner. 

Honored Contributor

I agree, time to discuss this with Lessman CS, if I have concerns with this product after my bloodwork I will do that, but in the meantime time to start the process now and make the call, I think 1Professor should do it, since she has the most concerns and stopped taking the supp. 

Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have been taking CholestaCare and other plant sterol supplements faithfully for the last 19 years, my numbers are fine, but I have blood work scheduled for next month,so we will see.  I usually ingest 1600  mg plant sterols daily, 1200 from CholestaCare and 400 from Natures Way, since that one also contains Pantesine. I also take Policosonal and Beta Glucan daily for heart health. 

@Shelbelle   I have heard that Natures Way is excellent for supplements. Thanks for the heads up.

Sometimes another company offers an ingredient (often an ingredient that increases absorption!) that Lessman's do not.

He puts calcium in almost everything. That's why I stopped using his products.

Honored Contributor

Andrew Lessman is, to me, a classic snake oil salesman.  I eat right; I don't bother with "supplements."

Honored Contributor

I take a ton of supp for various conditions, but my only Lessman item is CholestaCare. I find much better prices and better potencies elsewhere. 

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I agree, time to discuss this with Lessman CS, if I have concerns with this product after my bloodwork I will do that, but in the meantime time to start the process now and make the call, I think 1Professor should do it, since she has the most concerns and stopped taking the supp. 

@Shelbelle  As a result of the excellent sharings here, I am not specifically concerned now about CC causing a spike in triglycerides. It might, for some. Obviously not everyone, rarely reported.

However, as I mentioned earlier, I became concerned about the function of a BLOCKER. What does it block? Does it block other vitamins, medications, supplements taken at the same time? Does it block healthy food eaten? My impression was that people were taking it to counteract things they eat that are not particularly healthy.

Those are not questions appropriate for the Lessman crew. They would be concerned about adverse effects of CC, but not medically trained, I think, to discuss blocking effects.

I could be wrong. I am discussing with those in the medical field.

Logically, however, taking any BLOCKER will block with things taken at the same time . . .

Gratitude to all for thinking and sharing, as we all educate ourselves about supplements.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would not count on doctors knowing the answer to your question either, sadly, docs are not trained in Homeopathic med, when I tell my doc I take plant sterols, she just gives me a blank stare , and says if it works for you keep it up. 

I still think a call to Lessman's office cant hurt, just put these comments and thoughts out to them and see what they have to say. They may know more than you think. 

Honored Contributor

If you can find a health care pro or pharmacist who is trained in Homeopathic Med they may know the answer, Dr Andrew Weil comes to my mind.  Trained in both homeopathic and  traditional medicine