Honored Contributor

Re: New cautions about artificial sweetners

Multi-gram should read Multi-grain....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I have been going to a Naturopathic doctor (he's been on Oprah twice) for some months now. I have not been seeing him for my type II diabetes, but it has gotten much better since I have been doing certain things.

The only sweetener (it is not an artificial sweetener) he recommends for me is stevia. Pure and only stevia in the ingredients - this is so important because there are SO MANY on the market that say they are Stevia, but are a mix of things. Stevia in the Raw is one of the misleading ones as is Truvia. Do not be fooled by these. Get the pure stevia leaf - it will be a fine white powder and probably more expensive than the mixed ones. This does not have an effect on your blood sugar. You only need a tiny bit of it. At first I thought it was bitter, but I was using too much. Read the labels, do research. Manufacturers are out to make money and will be as deceptive as they can, even, or maybe especially, in the natural foods market.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks all. I have cut out the artificial sweeteners as of a week ago. I don't have the sugar cravings as I did. And my weight is coming down. I can only hope my A1C goes down as well but it is too early to tell. I have cut food portions and am keeping a food journal.

Honored Contributor

I haven't looked at the new studies, but if I did I'd look first to see what kind of AMOUNTS they talk about. Years ago when they wanted people to stop using saccharine, some of the negative studies talked about people who drank something like 68 sodas in a day, a week, I don't remember. Either way, who ever does that? If they do, they have more problems than sweeteners!

I use very little and will most likely continue that limited use.

Honored Contributor

A wonderful side effect to my cutting sugar, carbs and sweeteners was a total weight loss of over 40lbs. I've dieted my entire life with little success and to have the weight just go away because of the changes I made was wonderful. Good luck to everyone who decides to make changes like this.

Honored Contributor

From what I've read, saccharine is now considered the lesser evil of all the sweeteners, with over 50 years of study....

Trusted Contributor

On 9/27/2014 Q4u said:

This is my story ........... I hope this helps even one person at least research these additives.

I won't go so far as to say they are a "poison" as many do in the articles I've read, but I will say that I believe (based on my very rapid recovery) is that they were a slow poison for me.

All I want (as I'm sure you do) is to feel GOOD and I will do whatever it takes to get there.

This is an interesting post, as are the comments. Q4u, thanks for sharing your story, it is very timely, because the last few days I have been doing some research on this topic. So I guess, you can count me as the "one person' you've helped.

Super Contributor

It's like deja vu. These articles crop up regularly.

Honored Contributor

On 9/28/2014 Q4u said:

A wonderful side effect to my cutting sugar, carbs and sweeteners was a total weight loss of over 40lbs. I've dieted my entire life with little success and to have the weight just go away because of the changes I made was wonderful. Good luck to everyone who decides to make changes like this.

Congratulations!

I only needed to lose 10 stubborn pounds.

My son suggested I give up my two 24 oz. Diet Cokes every day. I thought I was filling my tummy with carbonation & cutting back on my appetite, but in desperation I tried it. The 10 pounds were gone in THREE weeks with minimal dieting or deprivation.

Now that I am totally "off", I realize how bad it was for me.

Respected Contributor

These sweeteners are TOXIC. I would never eat or drink anything that had them as an ingredient. Even many brands of gum have them in the ingredient list.