Esteemed Contributor

Re: New York variant. Columbia University

@granddi wrote:

Off topic but reply to how to get the vaccine....

We are 70+ in Texas. In late December we followed the guidelines and signed up in our metro county. By early January we were seeing all the stories of line jumpers and decided to explore other options.

We are willing and able to travel so we found a more rural location 330 miles away that did not require appointment nor had residency requirement. So we made 2- 660 RT's but got it done. 

PS: here it is mid Feb and still no call from our county.

If you have any travel options, try this too. 

Call doc and pharmacist.

Contact relatives in other locations. If no residency req sign up there. 

Find out if any sites offer end of the day-left over vaccine- last minute stand by calls.

A nurse told me that if you can get the first shot but then are called by another source and it is time for the second and its the same brand--take it where you can. Don't tell the second source that it is your second shot. Many sites are limiting first and second doses by percentage I guess.

How pitiful that you had to make 2 660 mile round trips to get the vaccine. I'm glad you were able to but, there are a lot of people that just couldn't do that for several different reasons. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@turtle52 wrote:

Trinity, any luck with Walgreens?????

The message was there are no vaccine appointments available in 25 miles radius for the next 3 days. I have tried since 6 AM this morning. It's got to be our zip code @turtle52 .

I'm sending best wishes your way.  You'll get it....don't give up hope and keep trying.  

I know it shouldn't be like this.   But we have to do what we have to do. 

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11  I am from Long Island - history of cancer x2 and DH has diabetes.  I have seen how there were openings in locations in Queens and Brooklyn; but were limited to residency.  The big drives in the Bronx were also limited by Bronx residency; however Nassau County which has had no availabilities for those with co-morbidities; is open to all NYS residents.  Nassau County had some vague statement about how the Federal Government determines how many vacccines NYS receives affecting the County's supply and that Nassau County has used 100% of the doses allocated to them.  Nassau County vaccine distribution locations have shut down for snow a few times as well. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

@Trinity11  I am from Long Island - history of cancer x2 and DH has diabetes.  I have seen how there were openings in locations in Queens and Brooklyn; but were limited to residency.  The big drives in the Bronx were also limited by Bronx residency; however Nassau County which has had no availabilities for those with co-morbidities; is open to all NYS residents.  Nassau County had some vague statement about how the Federal Government determines how many vacccines NYS receives affecting the County's supply and that Nassau County has used 100% of the doses allocated to them.  Nassau County vaccine distribution locations have shut down for snow a few times as well. 

Yes, that is exactly what I found....limited to residency. Quite frankly, I am not physically able to taking a one hour car trip either. I need something in my county if possible @MarieIG . The way this is being handled is questionable and I notice the media says nothing about it...

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11  I live in Suffolk County Long Island. I was able to get a vaccination appointment for myself last week & for DH for this week at the StonyBrook site. It was very hard for me to get the appointments.I was literally on line & on the phone for hours.

I got my husbands appointment at 5 in the morning .I got mine when the Governor opened up appointments for the immunocompromised.I literally started at 8 am & finally got one over 4 hours later.I was online the entire time  constantly refreshing the site . I finally made it to a 90 minute virtual line.

If you have a doctor in the NYU Langone system you could get an appointment in a Queens, Brooklyn or NYC location. There are currently no Long Island sites. You can sign into your account & schedule one.NYU Langone emailed DH last week & gave him a link to a registration site. I had already gotten him one or he would have done it.

Call the NYS vax number at 7 am when they open. They're open 7 days a week from 7-10. Be persistent. My friend got 3 appointments for his family doing that. I worked the phone & the website at the same time.It was exhausting but eventually paid off.

I wish I could help you get through.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Trinity11  I live in Suffolk County Long Island. I was able to get a vaccination appointment for myself last week & for DH for this week at the StonyBrook site. It was very hard for me to get the appointments.I was literally on line & on the phone for hours.

I got my husbands appointment at 5 in the morning .I got mine when the Governor opened up appointments for the immunocompromised.I literally started at 8 am & finally got one over 4 hours later.I was online the entire time  constantly refreshing the site . I finally made it to a 90 minute virtual line.

If you have a doctor in the NYU Langone system you could get an appointment in a Queens, Brooklyn or NYC location. There are currently no Long Island sites. You can sign into your account & schedule one.NYU Langone emailed DH last week & gave him a link to a registration site. I had already gotten him one or he would have done it.

Call the NYS vax number at 7 am when they open. They're open 7 days a week from 7-10. Be persistent. My friend got 3 appointments for his family doing that. I worked the phone & the website at the same time.It was exhausting but eventually paid off.

Hi @NicksmomESQ . Good news! I am scheduled for my first shot on Wednesday morning at Walgreens. It's only about 15 minutes away too. I feel like I won the lottery!

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 Wonderful news from you, tonight!  You'll feel a huge sense of relief once you get the first one.

all others who are trying to get scheduled...stay positive.  You'll get it ❤️

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Hi @NicksmomESQ . Good news! I am scheduled for my first shot on Wednesday morning at Walgreens. It's only about 15 minutes away too. I feel like I won the lottery!

@Trinity11, I was just coming back to sign out and finally go fix something for a late supper when I saw this..

Woot!  Woot!  Woot!  I am literally almost near tears, I was so worried about you not being able to get an appointment!  This news just makes my ever loving day!!!  Way to go girlfriend!!!  HeartHeartHeart

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

@MarieIG wrote:

Yes, that is exactly what I found....limited to residency. Quite frankly, I am not physically able to taking a one hour car trip either. I need something in my county if possible @MarieIG . The way this is being handled is questionable and I notice the media says nothing about it...

@Trinity11  - I can understand that.  I am not even attempting to go someplace where I have to stand on a line. and yes, I noticed as well.

Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11   YAY!! I'm so happy for you!! My friend just texted me that she got an appointment this week at a CVS. Looks like the pharmacies around here are getting more vaccine .

My DH is getting his on Wednesday too at StonyBrook. Good luck!!