Valued Contributor

Re: New Pres of my alma mater has cancer

I had a colonoscopy on Dec 16th--had 4 small polyps removed that turned out to be hyperplastic in nature--those tend never to turn cancerous--my GI doctor told me to return in 5 years for my next colonoscopy.

Maybe something was missed in the woman who now has colon cancer not too long after her colonoscopy--it is not a perfect science--doctors do make mistakes.

Esteemed Contributor

What concerns me is that he is only 52 and may never have had a colonoscopy until symptoms appeared. Many of us were concerned the phrase "aggressive treatment" instead of just the word treatment. Maybe we're reading too much into that adjective.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

A public statement has just been issued to all alumni and staff of my alma mater, Cornell University. Our first woman president, who started her position just 7 months ago, has colon cancer. She's just 52 and will be treated at Cornell Med in NYC. All of us in the Cornell community are shocked and saddened. The statement said she will be undergoing aggressive treatment. I hope she'll be OK. It's a lesson to everyone over 50 to get those dreaded colonoscopies.

It's unfortunate, but maybe it runs in her family.   Age is irrelevant.  Childhood cancer isn't rare, either.    I hope her treatments are successful.