Esteemed Contributor

New Pres of my alma mater has cancer

A public statement has just been issued to all alumni and staff of my alma mater, Cornell University. Our first woman president, who started her position just 7 months ago, has colon cancer. She's just 52 and will be treated at Cornell Med in NYC. All of us in the Cornell community are shocked and saddened. The statement said she will be undergoing aggressive treatment. I hope she'll be OK. It's a lesson to everyone over 50 to get those dreaded colonoscopies.

Honored Contributor

Re: New Pres of my alma mater has cancer

It sure is.  Thanks for sharing.

Respected Contributor

I have a friend who just found out she has colon cancer and she is 55.  She had a colonoscopy 3 years prior to this! 

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I have a friend who just found out she has colon cancer and she is 55.  She had a colonoscopy 3 years prior to this! 

Sorry to hear, but this is unusual isnt it, usually takes 5 to 10 years for polyps to grow and become cancerous, does it run in hre family? Were her results all normal 3 years ago?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Sorry for all the folks who just received the bad news on colon cancer and wish them success with their treatments.

I do not believe using the expression " dreaded colonoscopies " does good in today's environment.  The prep for this life saving test has come a long way from what I went through for my first test.  Just search my prior posts on the prep.

With no cramping, bloating nor loss of sleep the night before, as well as the fast anesthesia for the test, IT should not be dreaded.  However, the " results " may be.  Please folks, do not put off this test.  It may very well save your life.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@itsmagic wrote:

Sorry to hear, but this is unusual isnt it, usually takes 5 to 10 years for polyps to grow and become cancerous, does it run in hre family? Were her results all normal 3 years ago?

@Shelbelle She had some polyps removed 3 years ago and told to return in 5 years. But then recently found out she was anemic and upon further testing found the colon cancer.  No history of colon cancer in her family. 

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@itsmagic wrote:

@Shelbelle She had some polyps removed 3 years ago and told to return in 5 years. But then recently found out she was anemic and upon further testing found the colon cancer.  No history of colon cancer in her family. 

Wishing her a full recovery. If adenomas were removed, it is usually recommended to return in 3 years.

Esteemed Contributor

I used the term "dreaded colonoscopies" because that's the reality of how people look at them. I've had several. The prep is awful but I get them done. Sometimes you just have to face up to doing the right thing even if you find it dreadful. That's how I look at it.

Respected Contributor

@Vivian

Unless there is a unique prep required for a unique type colonoscopy, I have used the following.  Very Light diet early in the day before the test.  Several Dulcolax around 4 PM.  Then drinking every half hour 8-10 ounces of the following which I had premixed and refrigerated:  One Miralax jar dissolved in 80 ounces of peach flavored Diet Snapple.

There was no cramping, no bloating, no loss of a regular night's sleep, and no kidney damage.  Since the Miralax is tasteless, all I tasted was my favorite beverage.  

Except for for having to be close by the bathroom, it is not a bad prep.  Check with your gastroenterologist to see if this prep would accomplish what is needed.  Good luck and HTH you and others.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I had a 10 mm polyp removed last July during a colonoscopy.  It was benign. I was to return in 10 years for another colonoscopy.