Honored Contributor

Re: New. Pfizer vaccine is 94% effective in preventing ASYMPTOMATIC infections. 97% for symptomatic.

@Mersha wrote:

@Ladygray wrote:

So then what about those of us who had the Moderna or J&J vaccine?   Are we not as well protected?

I hope they do some studies on those vaccines.  

This is such an anxious time for everyone.  Wish they wouldn't pit one vaccine against another.   Some won't get their 2nd shot because they may think it's not worth it.

I'm afraid to get my 2nd Moderna, with all the scary side effects they keep saying Moderna has over the others.   I am going to get it, but I'm very very anxious.  I live alone and worry if something goes wrong.

Just wish they would understand, we can't choose our vaccine.  We shouldn't feel that we got an inferior one if it is out of our hands.

@Ladygray   Everyone has different side effects to the vaccines or none at all.

I had my second Pfizer vaccine and had horrible side effects. My husband had absolutely nothing.  Our systems are all different.

I know you are worried but it is so important to to get those shots.

I hope all goes well for you.

@Mersha @if you don't mind sharing; what kind of side effects did you have? 

Respected Contributor

Re: New. Pfizer vaccine is 94% effective in preventing ASYMPTOMATIC infections. 97% for symptomatic.

@Mindy D   With my 2nd Pfizer shot my temp shot up to 101, chills, aching, headache but the very worst was throwing up 4-5 times per hour for 8 hours on the day after.

It was awful but at least I know the vaccine is working.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

@Ladygray wrote:

So then what about those of us who had the Moderna or J&J vaccine?   Are we not as well protected?

This is such an anxious time for everyone.  Wish they wouldn't pit one vaccine against another.   Some won't get their 2nd shot because they may think it's not worth it.

I'm afraid to get my 2nd Moderna, with all the scary side effects they keep saying Moderna has over the others.   I am going to get it, but I'm very very anxious.  I live alone and worry if something goes wrong.

Just wish they would understand, we can't choose our vaccine.  We shouldn't feel that we got an inferior one if it is out of our hands.

@Ladygray   Don't worry.  just got my second Moderna Wednesday. Arm very sore (of course). Mild fever (100.4) for 20 hours, now utterly normal.

Honored Contributor

@Ladygray , I got my first Moderna this morning.  Probably too early to tell but so far I have a very mildly sore arm.  I keep moving it around in hopes of keeping that at bay.

My SIL had Moderna and had no side effects at all from either shot.

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@Ladygray wrote:

@Ladygray   Everyone has different side effects to the vaccines or none at all.

I had my second Pfizer vaccine and had horrible side effects. My husband had absolutely nothing.  Our systems are all different.

I know you are worried but it is so important to to get those shots.

I hope all goes well for you.

What were your side effects like @Mersha, and most important to me, how long did they last?

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@Mindy D   With my 2nd Pfizer shot my temp shot up to 101, chills, aching, headache but the very worst was throwing up 4-5 times per hour for 8 hours on the day after.

It was awful but at least I know the vaccine is working.

Sorry, I missed this post before I asked you about it.

Your side effects are very similar to my symptoms of mild Covid, but my Covid infection lasted 3 weeks. 

Yes, the knowledge that your body is developing its own protection IS a comfort. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann   I am so sorry you had the virus and that it lasted so long.

I was taken aback with the stomach issue which was the worst part of the reaction.  If you had the same thing, then it makes sense.

You must have had a very difficult time trying to nourish your body during your illness.

My husband and I had the 2nd shot at the same time and he ended up with a mildly sore arm...nothing else.

There is no way of knowing how the shots will affect you.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Super Contributor

Thank you to those who have been so nice to calm my nerves about my 2nd Moderna in a few weeks.  I'm glad some of you had no reaction, and am glad those of you who did only had it for a few hours.  That does help in making know Moderna isn't going to hurt me.

I am going to get the 2nd vaccine.  I've come this far.  But, I'll be nervous.  I am lucky that I haven't had any flu for years.  I did think I may have had a mild bout with Covid back in July last year.  I had a low grade fever for 3 days, extreme fatigue and shortness of breath, which is so odd for me.  I never got tested because I didn't feel up to even going to a testing site.  About 4 days later, I felt so much better.  I was off work that week, and stayed away from work for 5 more days.

I have never been that fatigued in my life.   I literally couldn't move.

You are all so right, we all react differently.  I just want it to be safe and not cause any strange or severe side effects.

Thanks again, I needed that group hug.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't had my shot yet; however, way back they said J&J was not as effective as Moderna or Pfzier. Now CDC is saying they are ALL equally effective. Now, they want everyone to take J&J, b/c it's one shot and they have enough J&J. 

I am getting mine Thursday. I don't know if I'll have a choice. I'll take whatever they have. If I have a choice, I'll take the Pfizer. 

My brother in CA had Pfizer and said no ill effects after first shot, but he had a sore arm for three days after the second. 

Murkowski and Solomon have introduced a bill to open cruises to Alaska!

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

94% EFFECTIVE IN PREVENTING INFECTIONS!!!!!!

Not just preventing illness in the vaccinated person, preventing infecting others. Happy dance!

Calvin and Hobbes do their Happy Dance! | Calvin and hobbes, Funny  wallpaper, Cartoonist

@Porcelain, have to say that at least at this point in time, both the Moderna and Pfizer mRNA vaccines in terms of efficacy are knocking it out of the ballpark.

I remember back in the fall when most would have been happy to see a 50-60% efficacy in a covid vaccine.  That would be in line with a typical influenza vaccine in a good year.  I don't think most ever expected efficacy percentages in the high 90s.

It is great to see the research coming from Israel. Although the data is not yet peer reviewed, I will be anxious to see it when it is published. Usually it is expected for the effectiveness to drop at least a couple of percentage points (if not more) once the vaccine is out there in the public.  But in this particular case, their data totally supports the efficacy documented by Pfizer in the clinical 3 trial, which is encouraging. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *