Honored Contributor

Re: New Patriotic Act – Get Fit

On 7/4/2014 aprilskies said: This is a joke, right? Now it's patriotic to be fit? The agenda is to lower the cost impact on our healthcare industry, which is fine, but don't tie it to patriotism. One has nothing to do with another.

Of course it does.

If we needed to reinstitute a draft - if there was a serious danger to our country - we would be out of luck.

Kids wouldn't pass boot camp.

I think Disney made a movie like this...where all the people sat around and turned into blimps.

Respected Contributor

On 7/4/2014 terrier3 said:
On 7/4/2014 aprilskies said: This is a joke, right? Now it's patriotic to be fit? The agenda is to lower the cost impact on our healthcare industry, which is fine, but don't tie it to patriotism. One has nothing to do with another.

Of course it does.

If we needed to reinstitute a draft - if there was a serious danger to our country - we would be out of luck.

I think Disney made a movie like this...where all the people sat around and turned into blimps.

You need to reread the op's post. This isn't just about being ready and able for a draft.
Honored Contributor

On 7/4/2014 aprilskies said:

Of course it does.

You need to reread the op's post. This isn't just about being ready and able for a draft.

Everyone needs to be as healthy and fit as they can be.

If anyone thinks this is a plot or a trap or something sinister...they have problems.

Respected Contributor

On 7/4/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:

I've seen athletes and physical fitness buffs drop dead in their 40's and I've seen professors whose only exercise was walking to class live into their 90's. I agree about the healthy diet and getting folks moving but sedentary does not always mean obese. And tying this all to "patriotism" smacks of a militaristic society where everyone should be a "perfect" specimen. I think that was tried in the past with disastrous results. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

I think.you're overreaching with the comparison to.history.

This isn't about perfection or.singling out one ethnicity as the ideal.

It's about EVERYONE being healthier. If we don't have a healthy society, we can't move forward and compete with the rest of the world.

Health issues are serious concerns. We're talking about high levels of stroke, heart disease, diabetes, etc. Not about who walks to class or who.competes in marathons.

It's much bigger than that.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

On 7/4/2014 aprilskies said: This is a joke, right? Now it's patriotic to be fit?

It should be.

A healthy country is a strong country.

Yes, I agree, but being strong and fit has nothing to do with patriotism.

With the cost of healthcare threatening to bankrupt us, it certainly does.

Super Contributor

Maybe adults won't do it, but we can encourage the kids to be active and exercise. We see so many kids with no muscle tone, they sit indoors and play video games and watch TV. I rarely see kids riding bikes or playing outdoors.

A family member's son is 12. He has never eaten a vegetable in his life. His mother "says" could never get him to eat anything but chicken nuggets and fries. He is on Prozac due to anxiety and is borderline obese.

But, the kid is a whiz at video games {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Super Contributor

On 7/4/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 7/4/2014 aprilskies said: This is a joke, right? Now it's patriotic to be fit?

It should be.

A healthy country is a strong country.

Yes, I agree, but being strong and fit has nothing to do with patriotism.

With the cost of healthcare threatening to bankrupt us, it certainly does.

The cost of healthcare has as much if not more to do with the exorbitantly high salaries of HMO, hospital and pharmaceutical execs. Wouldn't it be "patriotic" if they gave up part of their salaries to help struggling families?

Respected Contributor

Maybe we could all be " patriotic" in helping others more, BlueCollar. I do try to do this myself but sometimes I think I could do more. After all, helping others is one of the most important things in life and could certainly help to make our country stronger.

Respected Contributor

Of course it does.

Everyone needs to be as healthy and fit as they can be.

If anyone thinks this is a plot or a trap or something sinister...they have problems.

Now you are just changing course from your original point and that is just silly. There is no question that people should be healthier.
Honored Contributor

Something I find VERY Unpatriotic -

Criticizing a woman who wants kids to eat more healthful foods, drink more water than soda and move more.

The mocking is ridiculous.