Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@SXMGirl

"The only reason that I answered was that when some of our local vendors call here, they also come up as unknown caller on our phone and it has caused some problems and delays."

That really is no excuse unless you do not have an answering machine and/or voice mail.  Just saying.......

Once you pick up, you are now labled as a "live one."  Your # will be (if not already) sold all over the "Dark Web."

Well, I disagree.  There have been times I had to pick up expecting a call from a doctor and sometimes they don't use their office phone.  

Respected Contributor

@Equuleus wrote:

I just saw a commercial that said Medicare will never call you unless you ask them to.

Last week I applied for Medicare online and the closing page said Medicare staff might call me if they needed to clarify anything. It said they might even call after regular business hours. I’m not wild about this, given all of the phone calls I’ve received trying to get me to sign up for Medicare supplement plans. So glad we have caller ID!

Honored Contributor

Funny, I've been on Medicare quite a few years now but I've never received a solicitation about it.  Maybe that's because I never answer the phone unless I recognize the caller.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I just happened to read this thread and thought I'd mention that I, too, do not answer calls I don't know the number.  However, an unknown number called, I didn't answer, it went to voicemail, and it was the Nurse at the Drs. office, So I called her back.  I always feel if it's a good call, they will leave a message.  I can't understand why that poster who didn't answer her phone, and something got delayed because of it, why didn't they leave a message if it was important?  That makes no sense.  I am in charge of the prayer line in our parish, so of course, I won't know the numbers who call for prayer, but it usually will say my town after the number, and then I will answer and get the prayer request. If I don't answer, they leave a message too.  

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@SXMGirl

"The only reason that I answered was that when some of our local vendors call here, they also come up as unknown caller on our phone and it has caused some problems and delays."

That really is no excuse unless you do not have an answering machine and/or voice mail.  Just saying.......

Once you pick up, you are now labled as a "live one."  Your # will be (if not already) sold all over the "Dark Web."

Well, I disagree.  There have been times I had to pick up expecting a call from a doctor and sometimes they don't use their office phone.  

but those calls will leave you a message, scammers don't usually

rule dont answer unknow numbers

I haven't since I got caller ID  few junk calls 

Honored Contributor

I think everyone over a certain age has either knee or back issues. I am sorry that you were harassed by these people.

One of the things I do is to keep them talking.For every question they ask me I try to ask a few back to them. To those scammers time is money so the longer you kep them talking and NOT buying they are losing money.

Forgot to add how very much we love the "call blocker" we purchased from the Q.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Funny, I've been on Medicare quite a few years now but I've never received a solicitation about it.  Maybe that's because I never answer the phone unless I recognize the caller.

We don’t answer unless we recognize the caller either. However, some of them leave voicemail messages and others show up on our caller id as healthcare plans. Thank heavens for voicemail and caller id!