Esteemed Contributor

Nyt has a great article on how there will be many new protocols for using elevators, especially in high rises.  High points include limiting occupancy to four, facing forward, no talking.  I hadn't thought about this issue (I can only think of one elevator in entire town) but this will become a huge issue in office buildings.  Will people have to add significant time to their commutes just to ensure that they are punctual? Something to think about.

Honored Contributor

@patbz   Being in an elevator with 3 people is way too close for me no matter what way they are facing. And no talking? Good luck enforcing that.

I have to take an elevator to get to my office every day. I leave for work early and take the elevator alone. At the end of the day I stay a bit late and take the elevator alone.

I worked from home for 2 months before being asked to go back to the office. When I asked HR about safety measures to get to our floor I really didn’t get any support. I was told it is personal preference if you want to take the elevator alone or not. Which can be translated into no masks, no social distancing. 

Not everyone can do what I do and I feel bad for them. We don’t know enough about the virus to be casual and act like it isn’t even there. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

in our elevators at our beach home it is one person in the elevator at a time OR one family group in the elevator at a time. if the elevator opens and someone is in it, you just wait.

that may not work for very busy office buildings, but so far it has been working for our building.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

My apt building also is one person/family group at a time.  What happens is the elevator door opens, the person in the elevator says sorry and steps back, the person in the hallway says sorry and steps back and waits for the next one.  It works well.

I've also wondered how they are going to handle elevators in office buildings and hotels.

Honored Contributor

It sounds like a potential nightmare for those who work in large crowded high rises!

Honored Contributor

ick

I hate elevators

will take the stairs every.single.time

Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Elevator Protocols

[ Edited ]

We live in a retirement community apartment building.  They say no more than 2 on the elevator at a time.  Most people won't get on if there’s another person so it's usually one at a time.  If the wait is too long, I take the stairs.  We’re on the 6th floor so it’s not bad. 

Esteemed Contributor

If the elevator gets stuck..........I want somebody to talk to.

Trusted Contributor

We have 3 elevators in my co-op and the protocol of having only ONE person in an elevator if at all possible plus mandatory masks has been in place for the past 3 months.  Most people are accommodating when the elevator stops on a floor and you put your hand up indicating you don't want them to get on.

Once a man pushed his way past me and I chose to get off the elevator and wait for the next one. Another time the elevator stopped on a floor and 2 neighbors who I know asked if they could come on.  I said yes but please don't talk.  They looked at me like I was nuts but complied.  I think I may have aliented a few neighbors during this pandemic but frankly my health is more important than hurting feelings.

It hasn't been too much of a problem for me because I don't go out often and when I do, it's before 8 a.m.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

I am in a two story Garden apt, we have been here 16 years, before that we lived on the 6th floor of an elevator building and as a kid I lived on the 17th floor. I am very glad I do not have to deal with elevators these day

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.