Valued Contributor

Re: New Dental Fee on the way?

[ Edited ]

I went to see my dentist two weeks ago and was informed there was a $35. fee because of the extra cost to the dentist for protection.  The girl told me and I said "you're kidding".  She said no and it's not covered by insurance.  I went in to see if my tooth could be filled or needed a crown.  I do need a crown and will be going in next week and will have to pay another $35. over the crown.  Then 2 weeks later I'll be going back in to have the crown seated and another $35.  Do I want to pay it, no.  Will I, yes.  I never left a broken tooth go so long but with no pain my dentist said to wait and call if there is pain.  So beyond the $1,200 for the crown, part covered by insurance, it will be an extra $105 for the crown.  A few days before I got the check from the government for 1,200 so know where that's going.

The dentist did call me before the appointment saying that she is not letting any patients come in and wait.  Said to call when I get to the office and they will let me in.  She only has one patient at a time in the office.  I wasn't told about the $35. fee on the phone and feel for someone that is going in for a cleaning they would rather reschedule than pay the extra. 

I do have a pay as you go cell phone and only use it when I go out.  It's more or less for emergencies and trying to find my husband in a store.  I think a lot of people think that everyone uses a cell phone all the time.  Most of my friends in my age group use a pay as you go phone. 

Esteemed Contributor

My insurance pays for 3 cleanings a year. We don't pay anything for those, so I just wonder if the insurance will still take care of that, or if we will have to cough up extra money? 

I will pay it, I'd rather them find a problem and fix it, than me feel a problem later. 

I won't like it, but I will pay it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds a little like they want to make up for loss of business through these "fees".  These fees might just stick around forever.

I guess I will get hit with the same thing.  They already charge more than the standard and customary rate in my area.  

Honored Contributor

Salons are doing the same thing.  Plan on spending more for all services.

Honored Contributor

I don't have dental insurance - rather use Dental Serve - a discount plan w/membership fee.  Worth it if you see dentist twice a year - the savings are more than the fee.  

Just thinking about it - my dentist, his nurse and the hygienist all wear masks - and have as long as I've been going to him (about 15 years).  

Honored Contributor

I just paid $599 for a new crown... guess I can afford another $20.

Honored Contributor

@kismet     My dental insurance ( Delta Dental) just sent me an email today June 12

stating 

• In line with our Network Dentist agreement, dentists should not bill you separately for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) or other infection control procedures or protocols.

• We will pay participating DDWA dentists a per patient per visit fee of $10.
  • PRSP payments will be made automatically to all Delta Dental Network Dentists in Washington state.
  • Payments made through the PRSP will not count towards usage of your benefits and will not appear on the explanation of benefits (EOB).
  • In line with our Network Dentist agreement, dentists should not bill you separately for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) or other infection control procedures or protocols.
Valued Contributor

SeaMaiden,  I got that email the other day.  I sent it to my dentist and she said the fee doesn't cover a third of what it costs her. Said she has been talking to the insurance about it.  She did take the $35. I paid a few weeks ago and applied it to my visit this week.  As far as my next appointment I don't know what she'll do.  She mentioned that insurance isn't paying enough and in the future she may have to drop from being a provider.  If she does that means 6 from my family won't be going to her.  Wonder if dentist can afford to lose a lot of patients when they drop off a plan.  I have to pay for my dental because my husband is retired. Had Delta all the years he worked but guess they don't pay much now.

Respected Contributor

@granddi Yes - this was the situation at our dentist.  $25.00 for PPE

Honored Contributor

My mother-in-law was complaining about being told that there will be a $10 fee per patient and told the person on the phone she was highly insulted by it and didn't agree with it at all. 

Wait til she finds out it's $10 per visit.