Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: New Coronavirus from China

[ Edited ]

I read that it's spread to several other Asian countries and that many Chinese people don't want to leave their homes and aren't. They also feel like the government isn't being honest with them about what's going on. It would be scary to be living around that happening. I can't imagine.

Honored Contributor

Read this article from The Guardian.

The appeal for a 'warm market' is what is getting everyone sick.

Google the article....gross as you might expect.

70C396C9-6919-4B56-9581-CA2498616CA2.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@Jersey Born : I read that currently there is no cure.  Hope they develop treatment soon!

@patbz, here is a link to the CDC website about prevention & treatment:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html 

It provides recommendations for people in prevention & also states there is no current treatment. 

Here is a link to a fact sheet from Johns Hopkins:  http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/resources/fact-sheets/pdfs/coronaviruses.pdf 

Thos strain coming from China is known as 2019-n CoV.  It does discuss the different strains of coronaviruses but clearly identifies there are no current antiviral treatments available.  Testing has been underway for the more serious strains such as SARS and MERS, but there is still no identified treatment for any of the serious strains of the coronaviruses.  And the 2019-nCoV is still way too new to have any specific treatment other than just supportive treatment.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

A Texas A&M student is being isolated at home and being tested for the coronavirus. 

The student traveled through Wuhan, China where the virus originated.

US Health Officials are conducting the tests.

@Cakers3 wrote:

A Texas A&M student is being isolated at home and being tested for the coronavirus. 

This is terrifying. Where is the CDC ?  Why hasnt the FAA stepped in and grounded all flights ?   Perhaps this will make the pro immigration people think twice ?  

@Reever, the CDC is right where it should be, and this has absolutely nothing to with immigration of any kind.

As for the FAA grouning all flights? Are you talking about flights from China? Even that would be overkill, especially now that China is taking so many appropriates steps.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

We have had Ebola victims pass through the airport in the US and no one caught it. My son was there at the same time

The last thing we need is people becoming hysterical over something that hasn't happened..

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

This is terrifying. Where is the CDC ?  Why hasnt the FAA stepped in and grounded all flights ?   Perhaps this will make the pro immigration people think twice ?  

@Reever, the CDC is right where it should be, and this has absolutely nothing to with immigration of any kind.

As for the FAA grouning all flights? Are you talking about flights from China? Even that would be overkill, especially now that China is taking so many appropriates steps.

@suzyQ3   Exactly.  Considering the persons traveling back from China are not all tourists to the USA.  I'm sure plenty are citizens of this country returning home here after vacationing/visiting relatives in China.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I hope that people are careful what they say around children. There is no point in making them fear others ,and  worry about getting a disease from people ,who come from some place else...In times like this we all need to be at  our best to set an example

Honored Contributor

But if we get sick it will be costly ..hospital fees and all.I wish they would stop incoming flights.I have friends with immune problems along with my mother who would probably not survive.

Honored Contributor

From USA Today:

There’s a deadly virus spreading from state to state. It preys on the most vulnerable, striking the sick and the old without mercy. In just the past few months, it has claimed the lives of at least 39 children.

The virus is influenza, and it poses a far greater threat to Americans than the coronavirus from China that has made headlines around the world.

“When we think about the relative danger of this new coronavirus and influenza, there’s just no comparison,” said Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of preventive medicine and health policy at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. “Coronavirus will be a blip on the horizon in comparison. The risk is trivial.”

To be sure, the coronavirus outbreak, which originated last month in the Chinese city of Wuhan, should be taken seriously. The virus can cause pneumonia and is blamed for more than 800 illnesses and 26 deaths. British researchers estimate the virus has infected 4,000 people.

A second person in the U.S. who visited China has been diagnosed with the Wuhan virus, officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday. Public health workers are monitoring 63 additional patients from 22 states.

Coronavirus:US says 'do not travel' to Wuhan, China; airlines offer travel waivers

Influenza rarely gets this sort of attention, even though it kills more Americans each year than any other virus, said Dr. Peter Hotez, a professor of pediatrics, molecular virology and microbiology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.

Influenza has already sickened at least 13 million Americans this winter, hospitalizing 120,000 and killing 6,600, according to the CDC. And flu season hasn’t even peaked. In a bad year, the flu kills up to 61,000 Americans.

Worldwide, the flu causes up to 5 million cases of severe illness worldwide and kills up to 650,000 people every year, according to the World Health Organization.

And yet, Americans aren’t particularly concerned.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

But if we get sick it will be costly ..hospital fees and all.I wish they would stop incoming flights.I have friends with immune problems along with my mother who would probably not survive.

At this current time I would not see any reason for the US to  planes & prevent flights coming in to the US.  There are now cases in Japan, Thailand, etc.  You would eventually have to stop all air travel for all kinds of other countries.  People can fly from China into other countries and then fly here.  We have all kinds of people that travel to China, Japan, Vietnam, etc. for business.  Talk about cost, the loss to the airline industry and other businesses would really take a hit.    

There is no reason to panic.  We have a very good public health system here with the CDC in charge.  Our public health system put the screening of all passengers coming in on flights from high alert areas into place.   If they have a case that turns up positive, they then screen the patient zero for their contacts and evaluate them & have the legal authority to quarantine them if necessary.  Doesn't mean we won't have cases here, but highly unlikely we would have a mass epidemic here in this country.

Influenza is a far greater risk to people in this country.   

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *