Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Coronavirus from China

@Jersey Born : I read that currently there is no cure.  Hope they develop treatment soon!

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

While the coronavirus now circulating in China may be a novel strain of coronavirus, please know that every year in the USA, people contract coronaviruses, and its symptoms mimic influenza's symptoms.  I know this as I know someone who thought they had influenza, they were tested, and they came back positive for coronavirus -- last year.  

I think there is a lot of unnecessary fear mongering going on in the media right now.  Thankfully, coronaviruses are protein encapsulated so they will likely respond very nicely to well known, natural anti-virals.

Coronaviruses vary in the symptoms they cause. The new virus has officials concerned because of its similarity to SARS or MERS. That’s not fear mongering. World Health is meeting today to discuss the current outbreak. I posted s couple days ago about the strains of coronavirus in humans and in other animals if you want to learn a bit more. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I just read an article saying the disease may have originated from bats and snakes. I guess ones people consumed?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colliemom4 wrote:

I just read an article saying the disease may have originated from bats and snakes. I guess ones people consumed?

More likely through contact. There are usually two reservoirs with coronaviruses before they pass to humans. Identifying the mode that reservoirs (vectors) transfer the virus can take plenty of time. There’s still debate about SARS, for example. It was probably horseshoe bats to civet cats (used in the perfume trade) to humans. Thie SARS outbreak also began in Wunan, China. I’ll be reading the latest information about the snakes tomorrow. Up til now only birds and mamnals have been reservoirs (vectors )for coronavirus. In MERS, It appears the connection was bat droppings which camels came into contact with when they ate fruit from  trees that bats had urinated and defecated under. Then the camels  spred the virus to humans via contact or consumption.. I haven’t checked in awhile to see if camel

meat was involved. I’ll report back to clarify. 

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

I just read the abstract submitted for publication. The authors guess that snakes might have consumed infected bats. This is a preliminary assumption. 

Esteemed Contributor

was shocked this morning when Dr Oz was discussing it and said some of the people that died didn't even have a fever...

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

was shocked this morning when Dr Oz was discussing it and said some of the people that died didn't even have a fever...

In my opinion all flights from China into the US need to be grounded immediately.

Honored Contributor

A Texas A&M student is being isolated at home and being tested for the coronavirus. 

The student traveled through Wuhan, China where the virus originated.

US Health Officials are conducting the tests.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

A Texas A&M student is being isolated at home and being tested for the coronavirus. 

@Cakers3 wrote:

This is terrifying. Where is the CDC ?  Why hasnt the FAA stepped in and grounded all flights ?   Perhaps this will make the pro immigration people think twice ?  

Honored Contributor

The CDC is involved and trying to track this outbreak. 

I'm not concerned about the student in Texas; he/she is being tested and monitored.

There is no indication that other students have been exposed or are in any danger.

Keep in mind this student may have travelled to China while on break from college and since the new semester is just beginning, he/she most likely had not shown up for classes yet.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh