Honored Contributor

New Coronavirus from China

[ Edited ]

A new coronavirus is spreading in China and there is now evidence of human to human transmission. There are now over 200 cases. The cases are suspected of coming from a large seafood and food market in Wuhan, China. Two cases, one in Japan and one in Thailand, have occurred in patients that visited China. Currently, there are three American airports screening incoming passengers for the virus, San Francisco, LAX and JFK in NY.  World Heatlth, the CDC and other international agencies are tracking the spread of the new virus and are studying the virus to determine how it is transmitted. Coronaviruses usually originate in animals (mammals and birds) but can jump species into humans. They include the viruses that cause SARS and MERS, with SARS, suspected of originating in bats (WHO says civet cats to humans) and MERS suspected of originating in bats or camels (WHO says dromedary camels to humans) (also bats to dromedary camels) (MERS not MERSA). The new virus affects the respiratory system, is accompanied by fever, cough and shortness of breath then followed by pneumonia and has caused deaths and hospitalizations. There are seven known human coronaviruses. Ones that have been circulating in humans  cause symptoms of colds. 

EDITED TO ADD THAT S. KOREA HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE LIST OF COUNTRIES SEEING CASES.

Honored Contributor

Re: New Coronavirus from China

@Mindy D Yep. This has been all over the news for awhile now, at least on the national and local news in WA state.

Valued Contributor

Thanks, @Mindy D, for keeping me up-to-date on so many things, and taking the time for posting!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

hoping this is not brought to the US. we have so much disease already.

One case just reported in the US, in Washington.

This could easily cause a huge outbreak all over the US  Smiley Sad Very Scary

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I read the chance of a big outbreak here is very low.

Super Contributor

This is worrisome I hope they start screening at SEATAC I live in the Seattle area we have a lot of Asain athhnesnisties, and ppl travel overseas there of course from everywhere. I got the FLU vaccine, but It's not going to help against this.
Esteemed Contributor

If you could see how people live/eat and the terrible sanitary conditions in China, it's no wonder they have a new virus.  Yes, I've been there.........

Esteemed Contributor

@Patriot3 :  You said you were in China and appalled....When and where were you?  I was there in 1981 (really backward and third world) and again two years ago.  At least anywhere on the East Coast of China, there is a vast forward momentum, so I say that you are wrong.

Respected Contributor

While the coronavirus now circulating in China may be a novel strain of coronavirus, please know that every year in the USA, people contract coronaviruses, and its symptoms mimic influenza's symptoms.  I know this as I know someone who thought they had influenza, they were tested, and they came back positive for coronavirus -- last year.  

I think there is a lot of unnecessary fear mongering going on in the media right now.  Thankfully, coronaviruses are protein encapsulated so they will likely respond very nicely to well known, natural anti-virals.