Honored Contributor

Re: New Cardiologist Guides for Heart Health

[ Edited ]

One thing that might help some of you , if you are able to do this, is to walk, and at  a good clip. I am not talking about running, but , not strolling either, unless it( strolling) is the best you can do

I have always had borderline high cholesterol, but ,never had any blockages  or plaque  buildup. About  9 months ago, I resumed my walking, a mile everyday

I have lowered my cholesterol level from 215 to 191. I don't take any medicine/statins  to lower it. I still eat eggs etc

You might not be able to eat the way I do, but, even if you move more ,than you do now,( if you can) I think it will help you

Check with your Dr first. I can't take statins, and I never thought it would be possible to get under 200..

Good luck and God bless

Honored Contributor

@hckynut--

Hi John--yes I've taken 2000mg of niaspan a day, for a few years before I was dx with breast cancer in 2012---stopped it as I was getting chemo and thought one poison in my system was enough at that time---did very well with ithe niacin--numbers were stellar. Was trying to get Repatha to try but my ins turned me down, so back to the old fashion drugs---tried most the statins but the side effects were awful. Its the LDL that drs want to be at 70; mine are 118. HDL always in the 80's.

Honored Contributor

Hi @Trinity11

I typed a novel length reply to your questions about CHF  and EF. Lo and behold, it was a waste of my time, as your post for some reason or another disappeared, as did everything I had typed.  Why? Beats me, but I ain't a happy camper right now!      (:-(

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Hi @Trinity11

I typed a novel length reply to your questions about CHF  and EF. Lo and behold, it was a waste of my time, as your post for some reason or another disappeared, as did everything I had typed.  Why? Beats me, but I ain't a happy camper right now!      (:-(

hckynut(john)

Not sure what happened @hckynut

Honored Contributor

Hi @Trinity11,

You did have another post asking about my CHF and EF numbers, right? Heading down to my gym for a couple hours, will check back later tonight to see if you had a chance to reply. Ice skating tomorrow, yea!!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

"Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger".  It's not all a crapshoot or fate.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/11/how-health-and-lifestyle-choices-can-change-your-...

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/genes-and-obesity/ 

http://www.genesinlife.org/genes-your-health/how-do-genes-impact-health-and-disease

@QueenDanceALot I agree but not always. Lifestyle still doesn't protect against All genetic components in our background. The statement "Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger" suggests or implies that we have control over the disease process which just puts the guilt on the patient. Does anyone really believe that lifestyle has anything to do with contracting Type 1 diabetes??  Lupus, MS and many cancers? Not everything can be blamed on a patient's health habits. It is just too simplistic a statement.

@Trinity11

I posted 3 scientific articles about genetics and disease to illustrate the statement.

If you don't agree with what current science says about it, I would like to see science that disputes what the articles say.  Just "disagreeing" doesn't convince me of anything.

Did you read the articles?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

"Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger".  It's not all a crapshoot or fate.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/11/how-health-and-lifestyle-choices-can-change-your-...

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/genes-and-obesity/ 

http://www.genesinlife.org/genes-your-health/how-do-genes-impact-health-and-disease

@QueenDanceALot I agree but not always. Lifestyle still doesn't protect against All genetic components in our background. The statement "Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger" suggests or implies that we have control over the disease process which just puts the guilt on the patient. Does anyone really believe that lifestyle has anything to do with contracting Type 1 diabetes??  Lupus, MS and many cancers? Not everything can be blamed on a patient's health habits. It is just too simplistic a statement.

@Trinity11

I posted 3 scientific articles about genetics and disease to illustrate the statement.

If you don't agree with what current science says about it, I would like to see science that disputes what the articles say.  Just "disagreeing" doesn't convince me of anything.

Yes I did read them @QueenDanceALot. I wouldn't have replied without reading the articles.

I think they addressed health habits but failed to convince me that everything is caused by how we eat and whether we exercise.

In regard to the third article and I quote...

"Many diseases, such as heart disease and diabetes, are caused by issues with multiple genes in combination with lifestyle and environmental factors."

Sorry but Type 1 diabetes has nothing to do with lifestyle. No one really knows where it comes from either. I know my biological father had Type 1 diabetes, so clearly it is genetic. My heart disease was not caused by anything but genetics.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Hi @Trinity11,

You did have another post asking about my CHF and EF numbers, right? Heading down to my gym for a couple hours, will check back later tonight to see if you had a chance to reply. Ice skating tomorrow, yea!!

hckynut(john)

Yes @hckynut I did. It seems to be missing.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Trinity11

Yes I did read them @QueenDanceALot. I wouldn't have replied without reading the articles.

I think they addressed health habits but failed to convince me that everything is caused by how we eat and whether we exercise.

In regard to the third article and I quote...

"Many diseases, such as heart disease and diabetes, are caused by issues with multiple genes in combination with lifestyle and environmental factors."

Sorry but Type 1 diabetes has nothing to do with lifestyle. No one really knows where it comes from either. I know my biological father had Type 1 diabetes, so clearly it is genetic. My heart disease was not caused by anything but genetics.

Okay.

I will continue to follow the science in this area.  I am not looking to "blame" anyone for their disease.  I am simply a truth seeker.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot

Another website you might be interested in is Dr. Campbell’s

’Nutrition Studies’ .org. Tons of info...including genetic, of course,

His China Study focuses on that research. 

(snapshot of searched ‘genes’)

35A58EB6-CD00-49B4-B6EA-B517AFDB1105.jpeg