Honored Contributor

Re: New Cardiologist Guides for Heart Health

@hckynut wrote:

@novamc1

Good info to share. Preventing heart attacks is, to a certain degree, unpredictable for our population in general. Genders have pretty much equaled out, and I found in my 72 Cardiac Rehab Classes, age also misleads way too many.

What is the most overlooked Major Risk Factor? In my book it is genetics, and it is also one that no person can change. Eating/Smoking/Exercises are all Very Important Factors, but genetics? Eliminate as many Major Risk Factors as that can be totally eliminated, or at the very least improved.

One more thing! Having a Heart Attack and surviving a Heart Attack? The better Physically Fit and being healthy in other respects, often are the difference in living or dying!

hckynut(john)

Hi @hckynut, I think you will get push-back on the genetics theory but people like to believe that they can do something about their fate and fear prevails. They think if they just eat a certain way that they will be immune to their genetics playing a role in heart disease. Fairy Tales pushed by some unscrupulous doctors promising the impossible.

I agree about the genetics and I have seen for myself how illnesses through no fault of our own (such as Type 1 diabetes) can tip us over the edge. Like yourself when I had my first heart attack I was physically fit and very slender. It still wasn't enough, though, but hey at least I am still hanging in there and doing my best. Same with you...

Hope everyone is doing well in your house. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

"Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger".  It's not all a crapshoot or fate.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/11/how-health-and-lifestyle-choices-can-change-your-...

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/genes-and-obesity/ 

http://www.genesinlife.org/genes-your-health/how-do-genes-impact-health-and-disease

@QueenDanceALot I agree but not always. Lifestyle still doesn't protect against All genetic components in our background. The statement "Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger" suggests or implies that we have control over the disease process which just puts the guilt on the patient. Does anyone really believe that lifestyle has anything to do with contracting Type 1 diabetes??  Lupus, MS and many cancers? Not everything can be blamed on a patient's health habits. It is just too simplistic a statement.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

"Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger".  It's not all a crapshoot or fate.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2011/11/how-health-and-lifestyle-choices-can-change-your-...

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/genes-and-obesity/ 

http://www.genesinlife.org/genes-your-health/how-do-genes-impact-health-and-disease

@QueenDanceALot I agree but not always. Lifestyle still doesn't protect against All genetic components in our background. The statement "Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger" suggests or implies that we have control over the disease process which just puts the guilt on the patient. Does anyone really believe that lifestyle has anything to do with contracting Type 1 diabetes??  Lupus, MS and many cancers? Not everything can be blamed on a patient's health habits. It is just too simplistic a statement.

Autoimmune issues are some of the most common

of the genetically borne conditions but even with that...

proper nutrition can greatly affect Life outcome.  

And yes, we DO have control. 

To suggest otherwise is so incredibly sad.

To tell someone there’s no Hope is soul-destruction at its best.

I guess I live in a more positive world where anything is possible!

🌼💛

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

🌼💛

I never said @sidsmom@there was no hope. 

Until you walk in the shoes of someone dealing with chronic illnesses your self congratulatory statement about living in a positive world sounds hollow and misguided. 

Honored Contributor

Totally agree @hckynut

And by genetics, we are not talking a determinative gene which means if you have a predisposition for it, it will 100% happen.  99% of genes are only predispositions to a certain degree.  Your lifestyle is helpful in lessening or hastening that risk.

One of the genes I am very familiar with is the APOE gene or the "Alzheimer's" gene.  It is called that because it is a big indicator of who may get late onset Alzheimer's but it is first and foremost a fat regulating gene and leads to cardiovascular and cholesterol  problems first.  

It is a big indicator of how well your body processes fat.  You can have a "good," "neutral," or "bad" combination.   Knowing what type you have can help with your lifestyle choices and possibly stave off your predisposition to a disease no one wants. 

There is a multitude of evidence that certain diets or lifestyles can support or undermine your health.  Knowing your genetics can help you figure out what your body doesn't do well on its own so you can help it out and make yourself last longer and better.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

🌼💛

Until you walk in the shoes of someone dealing with chronic illnesses your self congratulatory statement about living in a positive world sounds hollow and misguided. 

@Trinity11

Um....your words:

”...but people like to believe that they can do something

about their fate”  ”Fairy tales...”

Both phrases would imply the patient has little control & no hope.

Positive attitude also plays such a huge part with quality of living,

no matter what condition one has. I saw my sister succumb

to cancer after many, many years of decline. Up until the very

last day, she remained hopeful & positive. That left a lasting

imprint upon my life.  Within my lifetime, If I could be just HALF

of her beautiful spirit, I will be grateful indeed. 

And yes, there were not-so-nice words directed at me

(‘self-congratulatory’, ‘hollow’, ‘misguided’) but I will still take

the high road & wish Wellness for you & anyone reading.

We all should have hope. We DO have control of our life.

Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. 

🌼💛

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

🌼💛

@Trinity11

Um....your words:

”...but people like to believe that they can do something

about their fate”  ”Fairy tales...”

Both phrases would imply the patient has little control & no hope.

Positive attitude also plays such a huge part with quality of living,

no matter what condition one has. I saw my sister succumb

to cancer after many, many years of decline. Up until the very

last day, she remained hopeful & positive. That left a lasting

imprint upon my life.  Within my lifetime, If I could be just HALF

of her beautiful spirit, I will be grateful indeed. 

And yes, there were not-so-nice words directed at me

(‘self-congratulatory’, ‘hollow’, ‘misguided’) but I will still take

the high road & wish Wellness for you & anyone reading.

We all should have hope. We DO have control of our life.

Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. 

🌼💛

@sidsmom I won't debate my posts here. I stand by each and every one of them. You have no idea what it does to a person when all they get is bad news and they are told they have irreparable damage from a medical condition. That is not control. That is learning acceptance and not believing in false hope with bogus treatments only lifting $$ from my wallet.

Honored Contributor

Yes I agree that nutrition plays a big part of any type of prevention for ailments---however---my cholesterol issues are family based and eating and exercise alone WILL  NOT  lower my numbers. I can't take the statins due to side effects and am now on Niaspan which is niacin. But my good cholesterol , HDL is also very high, which is in my genes too. Saying that nutrition is the end all is not always correct. Medical intervention is needed in my case. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @wagirl

Thought I would let you know, I take a 1,000mg tab of Niaspan every night. Began at 500mg after my 1st heart attack, and up to the 1,000mg after my 2nd heart attack.

I however do also take a 20mg tab of Atorvastatin(Lipitor generic) also every night. Haven't had a high Total Cholesterol number since I first heard of it, back in the early 1960's. I have had no issues with this statin over the 15+ years I have been taking it.

Always also have had a very good HDL/LDL ratio, even during the time of both my heart attacks, which lowered my HDL numbers significantly. My Triglycerides also have never had a reading over 40.

Glad to hear you have a high HDL, as that is always a good thing.  The 2 heart attacks killed a big percentage of my bottom portion of the heart muscle, which now has a very low percentage of function, I really have to work to keep my HDL number above 40, which is nowhere near the numbers I had before my heart attacks. My hard workouts seem to be the only way to reach, and retain a good HDL number.

Stay well,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)