Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: New Cardiologist Guides for Heart Health

I have been around heart disease since I was 2 years old.  My mom had a massive heart attack at age 35.  My DH had his first heart attack at age 45.  The "theories" and "changes" have come and gone.  The only true thing that I have seen is how each of our bodies handles chloesteral on an individual.  10 people can weigh the same, eat the same, and exercise the same and have 10 different results. This info isn't new, it's been around for many years.  

Honored Contributor

The easiest way to treat/prevent heart issues is through Nutrition.

Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn says it best:

C50DA545-3754-43B5-AA8D-37BF32A7A9BD.jpeg

Honored Contributor

My husband and I both have high cholesterol and before we went on meds. we tried diet and exercise. In 6 months he lost 25lbs( my husband was not heavy to begin with) and I lost 14 lbs.  My cholesterol did go down, but was not normal and my husbands numbers were the same. We agreed to go on the meds. and his cholesterol is "normal" with the meds.and so is mine, but I have to really watch my diet. My doctor said it's hard for people to out run their DNA.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1  Thank you for sharing!❤️👍

Honored Contributor

@novamc1

Good info to share. Preventing heart attacks is, to a certain degree, unpredictable for our population in general. Genders have pretty much equaled out, and I found in my 72 Cardiac Rehab Classes, age also misleads way too many.

What is the most overlooked Major Risk Factor? In my book it is genetics, and it is also one that no person can change. Eating/Smoking/Exercises are all Very Important Factors, but genetics? Eliminate as many Major Risk Factors as that can be totally eliminated, or at the very least improved.

One more thing! Having a Heart Attack and surviving a Heart Attack? The better Physically Fit and being healthy in other respects, often are the difference in living or dying!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut I believe you are right. Genetics is the biggest factor. People like to think that they can control it, but all I ne can do is lessen some of the known risk factors—-like obesity and smoking. 

Respected Contributor

Great info, thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@novamc1

Good info to share. Preventing heart attacks is, to a certain degree, unpredictable for our population in general. Genders have pretty much equaled out, and I found in my 72 Cardiac Rehab Classes, age also misleads way too many.

What is the most overlooked Major Risk Factor? In my book it is genetics, and it is also one that no person can change. Eating/Smoking/Exercises are all Very Important Factors, but genetics? Eliminate as many Major Risk Factors as that can be totally eliminated, or at the very least improved.

One more thing! Having a Heart Attack and surviving a Heart Attack? The better Physically Fit and being healthy in other respects, often are the difference in living or dying!

hckynut(john)

I think that is what is meant by "Genetics loads the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger"

Honored Contributor

People commonly use the ‘genetics’ reasoning but in reality, 

genetics plays such an extremely small factor in most modern

day illnesses/conditions. We have control of a bad situation.

Like the Good Witch said to Dorothy:

”You had the power all along, my dear”