Valued Contributor

Re: Neuropathy/restless leg syndrome! Help!!

[ Edited ]

@GoneButNotForgotten 

Gee,  she already stated she was just diagnosed.

Its sad there seems to be so much of this going around. 

I'd like to have just one doctor have an answer as to why this is happening to so many now.

Maybe you could give the poster a hint, as to what you do when your's acts up, or can't we do that on here?

Trusted Contributor

@Irishgirl555 I have had this for many years . I find that nothing helps greatly but some things can take the edge off. I take 2 extra strengnth tylenol with prescribed gabapentin, then Get up and walk several laps inside my home. Continuing to lie in bed in my opinion makes it worse. Then soak legs in the bath or shower,( bath works better)  for several minutes like 20 minutes  with water as warm as you can stand it.  Good luck. It truly is a miserable thing. There are other prescription medications your provider can try.

Contributor

Colleena I did just that...many suggestions thanks!!

Contributor

IMW I am currently taking 500 mg. Hope for results. Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@pieman wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten 

Gee,  she already stated she was just diagnosed.

Its sad there seems to be so much of this going around. 

I'd like to have just one doctor have an answer as to why this is happening to so many now.

Maybe you could give the poster a hint, as to what you do when your's acts up, or can't we do that on here?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drizellla just answered. All I could do was offer some sympathy and in return I got scolded.Too bad; this mb has a bad reputation and now I understand why.

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @Irishgirl555 !  I'm only relating my recent experience with neuropathy in hands and feet and muscle cramps in my legs at night.  My PCP referred me to a Neurologist who did a nerve conduction study on my arms as well as blood work.  I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel in both hands and the blood work showed my Vitamin B6 levels was 94+ when the upper range of normal is only 21.  I was taking both Hair Skin Nails and Centrum Silver Over 50 multivitamins at the time.  Turns out elevated B6, which has been used to treat neuropathy in the past, can actually cause it if levels are too high.  I no longer take those vitamins.  Over time, my serum levels of B6 dropped below 21, barely, but the neuropathy in my feet and hands mostly resolved.  I do wear a brace at night on my left hand at night when I sleep, and as long as I do that, I don't have the carpal tunnel symptoms nearly as bad. 

Leg cramps, different story.  I'd quit daily walks when I was diagnosed with spinal lumbar stenosis and wasn't able to do much at all.  After a series of steroid injections in my spine, I'm now back to walking 5 days a week and no longer have cramps at night, except if I don't get enough water.

I only offer my experience because this was so out of left field for me.  I thought B6 was a water-soluble vitamin and excess would be excreted.  Not so.

Valued Contributor

Magnesium spray. Spritz bottoms of feet and calves. It may sting a bit at first. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl wrote:

This was just discussed here recently---I have neuropathy in my fingers, mostly now and then stiffness in my hands from chemo 10 years ago---my feet were like that too ,only that went away after these last 10 years. I did try many of the things for it but nothing worked----there is an old time remedy that was a thing back years ago and that is drinking tonic water before bedtime----had a friend going thru restless legs and he tried it and seemed to work. It's the quanine in tonic water --you don't need alot just a small glass. 

@wagirl   Funny you mention this.   Sometimes I get leg cramps real bad at nighttime when sleeping..  He said drink

a bit of "tonic water" just like you said.  I tried but it gave me heartburn because I have GERD and Barrett's.  A shame as it works.

PS.  strange enough I was just in Europe for 2 weeks as you know and we did so much walking.  I did not have them.  Now that I'm back they are starting in again.  lot's of exercise helps?