Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac   Thank you for the info.  I had no idea there were different types of Ensure.  When my Dad was taking it we only knew of one period.  It did give my Dad more months of life but he was very sick.  I hope it helps you with your weight gain.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1  I went through a long period of very poor appetite and some weight loss.  It was suggested that I drink Ensure every day, which I did.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Needing to GAIN weight?

[ Edited ]

If you can work out, adding muscle makes you weigh more even though you're actually trimmer.

Respected Contributor

I would think that eating carbohydrates i.e. pastas, breads, potatoes etc plus Ice cream, whole milk,cheese and some nuts would also help.

That is what I have had to mostly cut out of my menu, since I am trying to lose weight.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have some issues with keeping up my weight but not serious enough to seek medical help. I just eat a nutrient-dense diet and work out my muscles with resistance exercises and walking. Keeping my muscles from going away is important to me. I need strength and endurance to get me through my daily life experiences. I live alone and I need to do that so I can live comfortably without having to rely on someone else to help me.

I'm 5'3" tall and I weigh 116 lbs, 67yo. I can carry a 40-pound bag of dog food up an entire flight of stairs with no problems at all.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have some issues with keeping up my weight but not serious enough to seek medical help. I just eat a nutrient-dense diet and work out my muscles with resistance exercises and walking. Keeping my muscles from going away is important to me. I need strength and endurance to get me through my daily life experiences. I live alone and I need to do that so I can live comfortably without having to rely on someone else to help me.

I'm 5'3" tall and I weigh 116 lbs, 67yo. I can carry a 40-pound bag of dog food up an entire flight of stairs with no problems at all.

Me too.

That's the jist of my inquery. I am 74yo and lift weights 3x per week and cardio every day. I'm about a size 6. I don't care if I am a size 8--if that's more healthy.

Over the past several years, I have found that I just do not need as much food. We don't eat a of processed foods and very much limit sugar esp bakery goods. 

As a result I have lost some weight but now want to go up by 5-8 lbs. I have had more than one doc remark that as we get older, we do not need to lose too much weight. If you become ill and lose weight you could be in trouble. Our dear friend who is in late stage pulmonary fibrosis is so frail. Other senior friends with chronic or terminal illnesses are dealing with unintended weight loss.

Yes, agree adding protein is important as well as good fats ie avacado.

Enjoyed the discussion and your suggestions.

Respected Contributor
Good luck. I quit trying to gain weight years ago. "Very thin" runs in our family. I remember when I was a kid, I bought something called "Wate-On," and even that didn't work. And it curiously disappeared when my mom, I found out later, just quietly picked it up and threw it away.

I used to eat like a field hand and never put on weight. When friends say they hate you, they mean it lol. I don't have the appetite to eat quite as much now, but I'm still underweight. Now though, I don't care.

BTW, Don't envy me. If you're thin because you eat a spartan diet, that's a good thing. But having a "fast metabolism" is not. 😳

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

@RetRN    I was under the impression that Ensure is used for people that cannot eat or hardly eat.  My father could not eat because his heart was so enlarged that it was touching the esophagus and it was painful to eat.  After 6 months my father passed away weighing about 115 lbs.  He orginially was about 175 lbs.   Ensure has nutrients, with vitamins & minerals.  I can't see why you would drink this except for keeping you alive.

Ensure and similar products are used for a variety of medical issues.  I drink something similar daily because I tend to run a bit low on protein.

@granddi I also have issues with being underweight.  Surprising how unsupportive people can be about it.  I rarely mention it for that reason. 

Best Wishes.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

5'2" and 90 pds.  I had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic last Sept. and they weighed me in at the ER at 77 pds.  I gained mine back by enjoying every kind of food I could think of.  After a few days I went back to my normal exercise routine so it took me several months to even get up to the upper '80's.  But boy did I have fun getting there.  Pizza, burgers, ice cream.........  By January my party was over.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's not so easy, it's taken my husband almost a whole year to gain 10 pounds. 

We switched to whole fat everything - milk, greek yogurt, cheeses, add peanut butter to a lot of his breakfasts, add parmesan cheese and an extra drizzle of olive oil to vegetables and salads.

It's all about fat and protein for him, he's a diabetic so we need to limit his carbs.

He also drinks Fairlife Nutrition Plan shakes, 30 grams of protein, 3 grams of carbs and 150 calories for an 11 oz. bottle.  They taste better than any of the others and have way less ingredients than the others.  

Someone saying "you're so thin, you're so skinny, you're all skin and bones" is just as hurtful as someone saying you're too fat.