Respected Contributor

Any experiences of trying to gain weight? There has to be a plan that does not involve SUGAR. 

I have seen good reviews of Carnation Instant Breakfast (now has protein +) . Other foods that are mentiioned often are: whole milk, bananas, avacado. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

If your digestive system is in a good place..........try BOOST by Nestle - 2 or 3 bottles per day.

Loaded with lots of good vitamins too.

Respected Contributor

My daughter's pediatrician wanted my daughter to gain weight.  She suggested whole milk (my daughter likes to drink milk every morning and I started giving it to her at dinner too), and smoothies (made with ice cream or whole milk).  It really was the glasses of whole milk in am and pm that did the trick for her, she really didn't care for the smoothies.  

Honored Contributor

To gain weight stick with high fat foods that have good fats and low or no sugar...... and a lot of calorie punch.... whole avocado, nuts and nut butters... Hummus.... etc

Honored Contributor

I can't gain weight no matter how much and/or what I eat.  I've always had a high metabolism & apparently it has not slowed down as I age - 71 yrs young.  I think of it as a "good" thing as I can eat anything I want w/o worrying about gaining weight.  At restaurants, I'm the "you gonna eat that" person. Smiley Tongue                             

My doctor recommended Ensure Plus as each bottle has 350 calories.  I drink the Vanilla as it taste like a milk shake.

Now my weight fluctuates between 120-125 lbs drinking 1 bottle a day.  I'm 5'6.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

We always made Ensure shakes for our oncology patients, they had some very good flavor packets that could be added.

Honored Contributor

I would think have a shake or malt with each meal plus junk food inbetween meals will do.  I would think it would VERY difficult to gain without sugar.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Needing to GAIN weight?

[ Edited ]

@RetRN    I was under the impression that Ensure is used for people that cannot eat or hardly eat.  My father could not eat because his heart was so enlarged that it was touching the esophagus and it was painful to eat.  After 6 months my father passed away weighing about 115 lbs.  He orginially was about 175 lbs.   Ensure has nutrients, with vitamins & minerals.  I can't see why you would drink this except for keeping you alive.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Ice cream packs on the pounds for me. Get the good stuff like Haagen-Dasz or another quality brand. It does have sugar so if you are diabetic, or if you need to watch fat intake that probably wouldn't be such good advice. My problem has always been losing weight, but I know ice cream is the one thing that makes me really gain.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1   There are many different types of Ensure now.  Certain kinds are used in medical facilities that are not sold in stores.  The ones used in hospitals you can get a prescription from your doctor.  Your local pharmacy will have the medical type of Ensure which is FREE sold by the case or 6 pack.  If you pay anything, it's your insurance co-pay.

My local BJ's has about so many different types of Ensure that there are signs on the shelves to let you know what each one is good for.

The  kind I get Ensure Plus @ 350 calories is for "weight gain" ONLY.  Thank goodness my cases are on the bottom shelves. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif