Occasional Contributor

Re: Need your words of encouragement!

Good for you!!!!!  And...here I sit in front of the computer!! See...you are giving ME a boost...better get up and get on the bike!! Good luck..you honeslty have a great attitude!!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@debic wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I think I need a wake up call.  Tomorrow morning (because I've already eaten this morning), I'm finally going to get on the scale.  I think it will be a wake up call for me.  I'm 63 years old and I always said I want to be a healthy old lady, not an unhealthy one.  Last year in the winter I logged 3 miles a day on my eliptical and actually lost four pounds from that summer when I went for my checkup.  This year, not so much.  I've gotten into this habit of snacking all day long (I'm retired) and unhealthy snacking.  I've never eaten chips in my life and I am now and have to stop eating ******! 

You know how you fool yourself by laying in bed at night and pinching your sides and convincing yourself you haven't gained weight - well, I'm pinching "stuff" now so I know it's time.  Hope me luck and that I don't pass out tomorrow morning when I weigh myself.  Today's the first day of the rest of this year!   Thanks ladies!!!!  I'll post a new post tomorrow morning once I pick myself up off the floor.

Get back on that horse!!!   Start slow if you have to, but force yourself to do it.  I know it takes me awhile to get back into it after summers off.

At my age (60) I do not weigh myself.  I'm more interested in flexibility and strength.

@debic - I've always gone by how my clothes fit - but they don't fit as well this past couple of months - getting on the scale will shock me into this - I need to do that - then I'll be on my way.  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@1OldDoll wrote:

Good for you!!!!!  And...here I sit in front of the computer!! See...you are giving ME a boost...better get up and get on the bike!! Good luck..you honeslty have a great attitude!!

@1OldDoll - Thanks - I remember after I had my second child (14 mos. after having first child and never had the chance to take off that weight), my husband's best friend's wife came over and said out loud "Ray, look how fat she is!"  OMG!  I ran in the room and cried!  But I got on the wagon and lost all the weight - sometimes it takes a shock to get you started.  I've always been very active - just got my 3 miles in today!

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal  Have courage!  The key to stop the constant snacking is to be doing something else with your hands or to be somewhere away from the food!  I'm 67, so I understand how it is.

If you have a fitness center somewhere reasonably close, I highly recommend joining.  I did that very thing 36 years ago, and it changed my life. I'm still working out (weight lifting, bicycling and jogging).  I weigh about the same now as I did when I graduated high school (105), but I'm in much better shape.

Once you start getting fit, you will WANT to change the way you eat......really.  Working out not only shapes your body, it does wonders for your mental state, which is why you're eating all the time.  You will make friends there and look forward to going each day, and best of all, you can't eat while you're working out at the gym!  Good luck to you, girl!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

and...............continuing here. Don't get bogged down with the scale numbers either. In fact at first, just do it once a week, you be on your own side. The scale is only one part of this whole thing. Think of it as a means to learning............

Respected Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@hoosieroriginal  Have courage!  The key to stop the constant snacking is to be doing something else with your hands or to be somewhere away from the food!  I'm 67, so I understand how it is.

If you have a fitness center somewhere reasonably close, I highly recommend joining.  I did that very thing 36 years ago, and it changed my life. I'm still working out (weight lifting, bicycling and jogging).  I weigh about the same now as I did when I graduated high school (105), but I'm in much better shape.

Once you start getting fit, you will WANT to change the way you eat......really.  Working out not only shapes your body, it does wonders for your mental state, which is why you're eating all the time.  You will make friends there and look forward to going each day, and best of all, you can't eat while you're working out at the gym!  Good luck to you, girl!

@2blonde - Good for you!  You encourage me - you know how it is when you are older, you want to stay vital - think my mental state is good - just have to get back to eating breakfast, lunch and dinner - instead of eating all day long.  Out go chips!  I put my EZ gym up on the door (it's a pulley system) and doing that also.  I'm on a limited budget so I can't afford the gym - the cheap gym is way on the other side of town - but I can do it at home with my eliptical and EZ gym - I'm feeling motivated!  I just feel blubbery around my middle - never had this problem before.  I'm really in great shape otherwise - healthwise.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

and...............continuing here. Don't get bogged down with the scale numbers either. In fact at first, just do it once a week, you be on your own side. The scale is only one part of this whole thing. Think of it as a means to learning............

@qualitygal - I think the scale is just going to be for a beginning number - I won't be getting on scale every day, maybe weekly or every other week so I don't get discouraged. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm an expert on losing weight. I've lost thousands of pounds in my 69 years (LOL). Seriously, though, you can do this. First, stop beating yourself up. Nobody is perfect. We all have flaws and weaknesses. I am finally at my Weight Watchers goal...AGAIN. The key  is to keep trying. Both diet and exercise are the healthy way to go. Do exercise that you enjoy. Maybe join a friend to start eating healthfully and working out together, even if it's a lunch hour walk.

For me WW was right. For others it can be online programs, Overeaters Anonymous, or other inexpensive plans for support. Just remember you are not alone. I once read that the average former smoker who quit needed at least three attempts before they succeeded. That was true for me 40 years ago. To me weight loss is harder. When you quit smoking you give it up entirely. It's out of your life. With food, you're still dealing with it every day. It's a matter of dealing with food differently, having the confidence and sense of self worth that can get you through each day. Just remember that there are many of us who have walked in your shoes. When I lost 108 pounds over 30 years ago, I felt great but it was only the beginning. Good luck to you. Write if you need more support. We're happy to encourage you.

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal  OK, you're on your way!  Speaking from experience, I can say that after age 50 or so, every extra inch goes straight to that mid-section.  Yes, I do still weigh 105, but my body measurements have changed dramatically.  My peak weight was in my mid-thirties at about 126 (I was doing a lot of partying back then...LOL).  My measurements at that time were about 36-26-36.  Now, at 67 and 105 pounds, I'm 34-28-34. (Where is the justice there?)  Remember too that the spine shortens as we age, so everything gets compressed.  I used to be 5'6"......now I'm probably fudging a bit by saying I'm 5'5".......:-)  It hurts to see some flab around my middle, but I've learned to accept it!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@debic wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I think I need a wake up call.  Tomorrow morning (because I've already eaten this morning), I'm finally going to get on the scale.  I think it will be a wake up call for me.  I'm 63 years old and I always said I want to be a healthy old lady, not an unhealthy one.  Last year in the winter I logged 3 miles a day on my eliptical and actually lost four pounds from that summer when I went for my checkup.  This year, not so much.  I've gotten into this habit of snacking all day long (I'm retired) and unhealthy snacking.  I've never eaten chips in my life and I am now and have to stop eating ******! 

You know how you fool yourself by laying in bed at night and pinching your sides and convincing yourself you haven't gained weight - well, I'm pinching "stuff" now so I know it's time.  Hope me luck and that I don't pass out tomorrow morning when I weigh myself.  Today's the first day of the rest of this year!   Thanks ladies!!!!  I'll post a new post tomorrow morning once I pick myself up off the floor.

Get back on that horse!!!   Start slow if you have to, but force yourself to do it.  I know it takes me awhile to get back into it after summers off.

At my age (60) I do not weigh myself.  I'm more interested in flexibility and strength.

@debic - I've always gone by how my clothes fit - but they don't fit as well this past couple of months - getting on the scale will shock me into this - I need to do that - then I'll be on my way.  Thanks!

girdle?   LOL

I do know once I get back into the swing of exercising I feel so much better afterwords.   You'd think that memory alone would get us going.  Smiley Happy  I alternate from my total gym to my treadmill.  Weekends off as my husband is home.  Playtime, or lazy time.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*