Respected Contributor

Need your words of encouragement!

I think I need a wake up call.  Tomorrow morning (because I've already eaten this morning), I'm finally going to get on the scale.  I think it will be a wake up call for me.  I'm 63 years old and I always said I want to be a healthy old lady, not an unhealthy one.  Last year in the winter I logged 3 miles a day on my eliptical and actually lost four pounds from that summer when I went for my checkup.  This year, not so much.  I've gotten into this habit of snacking all day long (I'm retired) and unhealthy snacking.  I've never eaten chips in my life and I am now and have to stop eating ******! 

You know how you fool yourself by laying in bed at night and pinching your sides and convincing yourself you haven't gained weight - well, I'm pinching "stuff" now so I know it's time.  Hope me luck and that I don't pass out tomorrow morning when I weigh myself.  Today's the first day of the rest of this year!   Thanks ladies!!!!  I'll post a new post tomorrow morning once I pick myself up off the floor.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Need your words of encouragement!

Always remember "You are NOT alone'.  I am having the same problems...have just rejoined WW.  This will be my first week weigh in.  Fortunatly, I have a friend who is also having eating issues and we have joined together.  I watch the beautiful clothing on QVC and it honeslty gives me a boost and encouragement to stick with the plan.  I am terrible at exercising...actually "HATE" it.  I am also retired, but, find myself so busy.  Maybe you are dealing with new retirement issues?  These grey, cold days don't help.  Hang in there!  There a many of us fighting the same battle, and, Praise God we opened our eyes this morning and have another chance with a new day!!  God Bless.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal  I TOTALLY understand. It get hard to get modivated... and then feel depressed and it is an endless circle. Start with getting honest with yourself and do step on that scale. Only do it once a week. No more that that to get an honest weight.

Stop the chips... and try to substitue something healthy that you like. Try to focus on just cutting out the unhealthy snacks at first....... the next week, look at the rest of your diet and see how you can make little changes. One change a week. And stick to that change no matter what... Do that each week the first month. You will be so impressed how just the little substitutions and changes to a healthier diet will make huge differences in the long run. 

Know you are not alone... we all have weaknesses and need to encourage each other and not feel we are alone in our  thoughts about how we feel about our bodies.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal I hear you, unhealthy habits can creep in despite our best intentions. I have struggled with weight issues for 20 years. I was diagnosed last year with type 2 diabetes and I came to understand I am quite carb intolerant.

I decided to make some changes in my life and went on a keto, very low carb diet and lost 50 lbs. I don't eat as strict as I used to but have still kept off 45 lbs for over a year now. I have a whole new outlook and so many cute clothes and coats I hadn't worn in years fit me. My A1C is in the normal range and I couldn't be more pleased. Too many carbs aren't good for anyone and just cutting back on them without counting calories will really help you I'm sure. Good luck on your journey! You can do this!

"The love you extend to others, will eventually find it's way back to you, no matter how many times it has left you hurt."
Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I think I need a wake up call.  Tomorrow morning (because I've already eaten this morning), I'm finally going to get on the scale.  I think it will be a wake up call for me.  I'm 63 years old and I always said I want to be a healthy old lady, not an unhealthy one.  Last year in the winter I logged 3 miles a day on my eliptical and actually lost four pounds from that summer when I went for my checkup.  This year, not so much.  I've gotten into this habit of snacking all day long (I'm retired) and unhealthy snacking.  I've never eaten chips in my life and I am now and have to stop eating ******! 

You know how you fool yourself by laying in bed at night and pinching your sides and convincing yourself you haven't gained weight - well, I'm pinching "stuff" now so I know it's time.  Hope me luck and that I don't pass out tomorrow morning when I weigh myself.  Today's the first day of the rest of this year!   Thanks ladies!!!!  I'll post a new post tomorrow morning once I pick myself up off the floor.

Get back on that horse!!!   Start slow if you have to, but force yourself to do it.  I know it takes me awhile to get back into it after summers off.

At my age (60) I do not weigh myself.  I'm more interested in flexibility and strength.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal, It's never too late. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. Next grocery store visit, get your fruits and veggies and eat for your own good health. Best wishes, you can do it.

Respected Contributor

@1OldDoll wrote:

Always remember "You are NOT alone'.  I am having the same problems...have just rejoined WW.  This will be my first week weigh in.  Fortunatly, I have a friend who is also having eating issues and we have joined together.  I watch the beautiful clothing on QVC and it honeslty gives me a boost and encouragement to stick with the plan.  I am terrible at exercising...actually "HATE" it.  I am also retired, but, find myself so busy.  Maybe you are dealing with new retirement issues?  These grey, cold days don't help.  Hang in there!  There a many of us fighting the same battle, and, Praise God we opened our eyes this morning and have another chance with a new day!!  God Bless.

@1OldDoll -- I just got my 3 miles in!   I've been on WW in past - it's just too expensive and the online tools I hear this time suck.  Once I put my mind to this, I think I can do it.  Retirement is not a problem - I have 2 acres in the summer I am outside busy all summer long - winter - that's a problem. Thanks for your words and good luck to you and your friend!

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@hoosieroriginal  I TOTALLY understand. It get hard to get modivated... and then feel depressed and it is an endless circle. Start with getting honest with yourself and do step on that scale. Only do it once a week. No more that that to get an honest weight.

Stop the chips... and try to substitue something healthy that you like. Try to focus on just cutting out the unhealthy snacks at first....... the next week, look at the rest of your diet and see how you can make little changes. One change a week. And stick to that change no matter what... Do that each week the first month. You will be so impressed how just the little substitutions and changes to a healthier diet will make huge differences in the long run. 

Know you are not alone... we all have weaknesses and need to encourage each other and not feel we are alone in our  thoughts about how we feel about our bodies.

@SeaMaiden - Thank you - getting on scale will be hard - but I think I need it - I have never in my life snacked on chips - have to stop that I know - that's the first thing I'm cutting out.  And I no longer eat frozen food - haven't for a year so I am eating better.  Thanks for your words!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal  Hoosier!  Hoosier!  Hoosier!  Yo go girl!  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Debzzz wrote:

@hoosieroriginal I hear you, unhealthy habits can creep in despite our best intentions. I have struggled with weight issues for 20 years. I was diagnosed last year with type 2 diabetes and I came to understand I am quite carb intolerant.

I decided to make some changes in my life and went on a keto, very low carb diet and lost 50 lbs. I don't eat as strict as I used to but have still kept off 45 lbs for over a year now. I have a whole new outlook and so many cute clothes and coats I hadn't worn in years fit me. My A1C is in the normal range and I couldn't be more pleased. Too many carbs aren't good for anyone and just cutting back on them without counting calories will really help you I'm sure. Good luck on your journey! You can do this!

@Debzzz - my oldest sister is quite obese and that has kept me in check in my teen years and my early years.  I just probablly need to drop 10-20 pounds and I know I will feel so much better.  In the summer it's hard working in the yard when you are carrying weight.  I actually walk my dogs 2 hours a day, but this last month I haven't been able to get them out much with rain/snow/cold.  I'm doing this!  Thanks!