Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Re: Need to stop worrying

[ Edited ]

Hi to you @Witchy Woman,

As an old man, my belief is it has nothing to do with aging.  Back in late grade school, when I was the "fat kid", I was worried about dating/what others thought of me, and other "teen age life and death issues"!  After I lost 60lbs I made up my mind I was never going to worry, about anything ever, and I accomplished doing just that.

Like many successful things in my life, it took being completely dedicated to accomplishing my goals, none of which were like "a walk in the park". I could list all of them , but I will spare you, and others that may read this, another of my autobiography.

While I am on pysch meds, I accomplished this decades before my 2 mental diagnosis, thus the need for this meds, which does include Bupropion, the generic of Wellbutrin. I learned early in life that "worry" is all negative, energy burned uselessly.

How you choose to change is up to you, and you might include whomever prescribed Wellbutrin for you. Once I realized worrying was useless and accomplished nothing, it made my goal much easier. At certain times(the right times), I am concerned about many of my life's situation, but worry? No, I am what some call, an eternal optimist, always seeing the good, not the bad?

Good luck to you,

ETA: After reading a few posts I see that maybe this AGE THING is possibly a gender thing? Beats me!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

WW - In case you check back in, thank you for your post. Most of us have so many people to care about and concerns in our own lives - it's easy for our minds to be anxious.

I had a female, 70-ish psych professor who said sometimes you just have to tell your mind to be quiet and shut up. I've been doing that for years. As many have said - it also helps to meditate and exercise - stretch and yoga. Reading Dr Daniel Amen's book, Stopping Automatic Negative Thoughts - or ANTs in the brain, has been invaluable. Our brain sorts our 50 - 60K thoughts a day. Turning from negative thoughts to thoughts of gratitude has changed my life. Peace to you.       

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut

I would say it possibly is gender related.  At least for me it is.

My husband is not a worrier.  He is a very linear thinker and task oriented.  Since he still works, he is very busy and is just happy to get all his jobs done at some point.  He is always in demand by people who need special building projects.

So, for me, I see that I worry, he doesn't.  I don't know many men who say they are "worried."  Maybe we are just wired that way.

@jeanlake

I will check out the book you mentioned.  I think it would be helpful.  Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman  You can do this. A lot of talk recently about re-wiring our brains to healthier thinking. I believe in this. My work friend and I formed a two-woman IDC club. When we find ourselves needlessly worrying about things we have zero control over or imaginary problems, we remind ourselves - IDC or I Don't Care! Helps us snap out of it. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I feel anxiety,and depression causes this, my mom is a person that worries about everything,she has anxiety ,i have chronic depression ,i worry  a lot.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut  I agree, I don't accept aging as an excuse either so i don't think it is a gender thing.  Love your comments, as always John.  You are a wise man in my book.  Best wishes.

Respected Contributor

Give yourself permission to worry.  My mom worried all her life...she thught if she did not worry, bad things would happen. She live to a grand old age of 95 her mind as sharp as ever.  

Honored Contributor

@OhioAngel wrote:

I love this quote:  why worry when you can pray!

I love it too! Thanks for sharing it!

Respected Contributor

What do you mean age related? how old are we talking here?  I have always struggled with worrying. I am in my 50's and still struggle with it!  My parents both have passed away...my sister...my MIL.  I feel like I am kinda young for all of them to be gone already.

My dog of 15yrs died....all of this happened in the last 5yrs.  My life feels kinda empty....2 of my son's moved out....and well it's all very different right now.  So I struggle daily.

I PRAY .....I talk to GOD alot....need to find some purpose in my life.  

I tell myself instead of focusing on the problem or problems of the past....focus on a solution!  What can I do today toward a solution....make a plan...then go out and do it!  See what happens...sure it could turn out bad OR it might turn out good.  IF it doesn't work out then just readjust the plan and go again LOL!  

I have been doing that with my health...working out and so on.  It hasn't gone smoothly BUT the last 2months I have been making progress so perhaps this time it will work out the way I was hoping.

Sorry this got long....I hope all here that worry or have anxiety about life find ways to help them and this topic and ideas in it are helping/blessing me!