Honored Contributor

Re: Need suggestions for a multivitamin.

@sidsmom wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Why do people feel they need a multi-vitamin?

Are they not eating?

@sidsmom - I wouldn't say people aren't eating.  I believe it's always best to try and get our dietary needs met through eating and I try to make wise food choices but I also know that I either can't or won't eat everything I'm supposed to on a daily basis.  A multivitamin, IMO, covers for that.

I would recommend anyone, who is considering spending $$ on unnecessary supplements, to first go to an app like Cronometer or myfitnesspal & log in their daily food intake for several day/a week.  It'll be very clear if one is not meeting the RDA, just a small, inexpensive, nutritional tweak would be needed vs an over-abundance of expensive vitamins your liver & gut has to process...and causing inflammation, which is not measured.  An over-abundance of a vitamin in whole foods form is much, much different than in a processed vitamin.

Definitely with processed vitamins, if some is good, more isn't always better. 

Marketing has done an amazing job convincing us we're 

not 'getting enough'.  

I agree with you @sidsmom regarding dosages/servings.  I've spent many an hour researching before deciding on a particular supplement, to make sure I'm getting the right amount without overdosing.  One's diet also needs to be considered, to work in concert with the supplements, so as to not get too much of something.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I stay away from Lessman's things because they have too much of the mdr.  I don't want to ingest that much because we have a good diet in general, and I read that you should not take too many vitamines.  They also have other herbs, spices, and ingredients I'm not sure about.

I try to keep it simpy with vitamines.  

@Sooner

Is it possible people think that the MDR means the MAXIMUM DAILY REQUIREMENT?

Personally, I don't see the danger in taking the MINIMUM daily requirement.   Of course, some vitamins are water soluble, and some fat soluble, so that's always a consideration.

Unfortunately, even if someone has a "good diet in general" it doesn't mean they know how many miligrams of any given nutrient is actually in their food, so they really don't know what they are getting .... or how long food sat while being wrapped or prepared for market.  

IMO, a good single multi-vitamin pill is a nice "nutritional safety net".    I guess this is ingrained in me because my mother thought vitamins (not in excess) were very important.

Valued Contributor

I am taking the Centrum you mentioned but they are getting very difficult to swallow for me. Thanks anyway

Honored Contributor

There is a nice table on WebMD for Upper Tolerable Limits

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I've taken Andrew Lessman's vitamins for years and I will never take another brand.  Gelatin?  Who cares. His presentations are so informative.  I try to tune in even if I don't need anything because he explains things so well.

Contributor

I RECOMMEND ANDREW LESSMAN VITAMINS & SUPPLEMENTS

After having tried a number of different popular multi-vitamin products over the decades, I have settled on ANDREW LESSMAN products and am happy with his ESSENTIAL 1 multi-vitamin.  I find it easy to swallow.

There is sooooo much to be said about the vitamin & supplement industry.  I have gotten a lot of information from a friend who is a registered nutritionist and my gastroenterologist who is Chinese, trained in Western medicine but very knowledgeable about traditional Chinese medicine. 

Basically, THE VITAMIN & SUPPLEMENT INDUSTRY IS A MATTER OF BUYER BEWARE!!!!!  This industry IS NOT REGULATED OR SUPERVISED IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY.  The manufacturers can say and do pretty much anything and are rarely held to any standards.  MANY OF THE PRODUCTS, EVEN THE POPULAR ONES, ARE MADE IN CHINA and you don't know what you are putting in your body. 

I have been watching ANDREW LESSMAN for years now on HSN and he seems genuinely conscientious about his products.  He has his own manufacturing facility in Henderson, Nevada (Las Vegas) and has been producing vitamins/minerals/supplements for decades.  He keeps up with the latest cutting edge information from a large number of professional scientific and medical journals, so keeps his formulations up to date with the most current information.  He sources the best ingredients and follows strict protocols for production.  For example, his fish oil supplements are tested to ensure that you are not getting dangerous levels of  mercury. 

ANDREW LESSMAN WILL BE ON HSN THIS COMING WEEKEND JULY 8-9.  I HIGHLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO WATCH HIS PRESENTATIONS.  THERE IS ALSO VERY DETAILED INFORMATION ON HIS PRODUCTS ON THE HSN WEBSITE, INCLUDING PRODUCT LABELS & VIDEOS.  HE ALSO HAS HIS OWN WEBSITE FOR HIS COMPANY PROCAPS LABORATORIES, HE WRITES A BLOG, AND HAS RESPONSIVE CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR DETAILED QUESTIONS. 

ABOUT DOCTORS:  THEY RECEIVE LITTLE TO NO NUTRITIONAL TRAINING IN MEDICAL SCHOOL AND ARE BASICALLY TRAINED TO PUSH BIG PHARMA MEDICATIONS.  So you can't count on them to have up to date info on nutritional products.  For example, if your doctor prescribes a statin drug for you, does he/she also tell you that you need to take Coenzyme Q10????  Most don't. 

I don't take everything that Andrew Lessman produces.  Thankfully my gastroenterologist has a detailed knowledge of herbal products, so he can advise me which ones I should and should not take based on my personal set of health issues (including liver issues).  My rheumatologist also advised me not to eat sprouts, not to take echinacea, not to take butcher's broom, etc., things that are supposed to be good for you according to health food people, but are not good for people with certain conditions. 

NOT EVERYONE IS THE SAME, NOT EVERY BODY FUNCTIONS THE SAME, SO ANY MEDICATIONS, VITAMINS OR SUPPLEMENTS WILL NOT BE GOOD FOR EVERYONE.  So you need to gather information.  Waching Andrew Lessman programs will teach you a lot.  READ LABELS, ASK QUESTIONS, DON'T JUST "SWALLOW" WHAT THE SELLERS TELL YOU. 

Hospital personnel call those HARD SOLID VITAMIN PILLS "BEDPAN BULLETS" BECAUSE THEY ARE INDIGESTIBLE ... that includes the most popular brands with big advertising budgets.  Those BEDPAN BULLETS are made of artificial colors, fillers & gunk to make them stick together, stuff you don't want to put in your body.  In the past I heard of a North American pharmacy selling products in the U.S. that contained powdered yellow road stripe paint!  You don't know what you are getting!!!!!!

ANDREW LESSMAN uses no artificial colors, fillers, etc in his products.  He will demonstrate that he uses a digestible gelatin capsule with fine powdered ingredients, only the pure nutritional ingredients listed on the label, according to the latest scientific information, as noted above. 

I am in no way affiliated with Lessman or his products, other than being a satisfied customer.  I am not a scientist, but have some familiarity with science, and have done a lot of lay research on human physiology & biochemistry and feel like Lessman is as trustworthy as anyone in the vitamin/supplement industry.  But you must always be vigilent when it comes to your health and an unregulated industry in which unscrupulous or uninformed individuals can play havoc with your health. 

I hope this helps!  Sadly the foods that we eat are usually not fresh & have been overprocessed by the big agribusiness industry and so are sorely lacking in the nutrition our ancestors had when things were more "farm to table" as in generations gone by. 

To your good health!  May you have lots of years in your life & lots of life in your years!

Honored Contributor

Re: I RECOMMEND ANDREW LESSMAN VITAMINS & SUPPLEMENTS

Hummmmmm.

Looks like Andrew has set up a new profile.

🤣

Do we really need that much capitalization, aka screaming

throughout the above post?

Gracious.

Take a deep breath, @SuperShopper

Regular Contributor

I take Andrew Lessman's also and they are easy to swallow and no indigestion.  Always drink a little first to wet your throat, and look down while swallowing a pill.

Valued Contributor

Re: I RECOMMEND ANDREW LESSMAN VITAMINS & SUPPLEMENTS

SuperShopper. Thank you so much for all the information Wow!!   I really appreciate you taking the time to write it. Pushing 84 yrs old and having  blessed??  myself with  two broken femurs (one on each side) within the last two  years has taken a toll on my body however I want to keep on keeping on as they say.

And to the rest of the responders thank you all again as well.

Nafey

Esteemed Contributor

Here is another fan of Andrew Lessaman. I have taken his Essential 1 supplement  for years and they are easy to swallow. I watch him even when I do not need to purchase anything.

He is very informative, passionate about his product, and comes across as a really honest vendor.