Respected Contributor

Re: Need suggestions for a multivitamin.

Count me in as another Andrew Lessman fan. Hubby and I swear by them and will only take his.  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I stay away from Lessman's things because they have too much of the mdr.  I don't want to ingest that much because we have a good diet in general, and I read that you should not take too many vitamines.  They also have other herbs, spices, and ingredients I'm not sure about.

I try to keep it simpy with vitamines.  

Sooner, what is mdr?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Big Sister wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I stay away from Lessman's things because they have too much of the mdr.  I don't want to ingest that much because we have a good diet in general, and I read that you should not take too many vitamines.  They also have other herbs, spices, and ingredients I'm not sure about.

I try to keep it simpy with vitamines.  

Sooner, what is mdr?

@Big Sister  Minimum daily requirement.  Lots of doctors and others don't advise people to take vitamines having a lot more than the MDR in the ingredients.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nafecar  DH and I were taking the Vitacost Twice Daily (men's and women's formulas) for quite awhile without complaint.  Then a few months ago one of them was out of stock so I went shopping for a replacement.  I ended up finding Nature's Lab One Daily Mulitivitamin on the Costco website.  I normally don't buy my supplements from Costco but they are very similar to Lessman's Essential 1.  They include Vitamin K where Lessman's does not, include CoQ10 where Lessman's does not, have more D, and closer to the RDA amount of lutein and zeaxanthin than Lessman's.  They come in a vegetarian capsule and only cost only $20 for 120 capsules.  

Honored Contributor

Why do people feel they need a multi-vitamin?

Are they not eating?

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@nafecar  I'm sure Andrew Lessman has a great product.  Unfortunately he uses gelatin in his formulas so I won't purcha se.  I recently bought Nature's Lab One Daily Multivitamin Easy to Swallow Vegetarian capsules at Costco.  I like them and will continue to use as long as they are available on Costco online.  I have also used Garden of Life organic vegan Once Daily multiple vitamin and would recommend.

@phoenixbrd High five!  I just posted my reply and came back to read the others.  I'm using the Nature's Lab too.  I just ordered a couple more bottles last week when they had the $4.00 rebate per bottle so we're set again for a few months.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Are they not eating?

@sidsmom - I wouldn't say people aren't eating.  I believe it's always best to try and get our dietary needs met through eating and I try to make wise food choices but I also know that I either can't or won't eat everything I'm supposed to on a daily basis.  A multivitamin, IMO, covers for that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Are they not eating?

@sidsmom - I wouldn't say people aren't eating.  I believe it's always best to try and get our dietary needs met through eating and I try to make wise food choices but I also know that I either can't or won't eat everything I'm supposed to on a daily basis.  A multivitamin, IMO, covers for that.

I would recommend anyone, who is considering spending $$ on unnecessary supplements, to first go to an app like Cronometer or myfitnesspal & log in their daily food intake for several day/a week.  It'll be very clear if one is not meeting the RDA, just a small, inexpensive, nutritional tweak would be needed vs an over-abundance of expensive vitamins your liver & gut has to process...and causing inflammation, which is not measured.  An over-abundance of a vitamin in whole foods form is much, much different than in a processed vitamin.

Definitely with processed vitamins, if some is good, more isn't always better. 

Marketing has done an amazing job convincing us we're 

not 'getting enough'.  

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@nafecar  I'm sure Andrew Lessman has a great product.  Unfortunately he uses gelatin in his formulas so I won't purcha se.  I recently bought Nature's Lab One Daily Multivitamin Easy to Swallow Vegetarian capsules at Costco.  I like them and will continue to use as long as they are available on Costco online.  I have also used Garden of Life organic vegan Once Daily multiple vitamin and would recommend.

@phoenixbrd

Why?   Are you allergic to gelatin?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@phoenixbrd

Why?   Are you allergic to gelatin?

@Tinkrbl44  I know, I know about making assumptions, but my guess is that it has more to do with @phoenixbrd preferring cruelty free products.